Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To Add input to lastline of the script Post 302400976 by alister on Thursday 4th of March 2010 04:14:48 PM
Old 03-04-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebala1981
Alister iam getting following error
Code:
awk: cmd. line:3:       printf("date" | getline d: print  "<i>Generated at " d "</i>")
awk: cmd. line:3:                                ^ parse error

It should be a semicolon, ";", not a colon, ":". However, even with the correct statement delimiter, that's not a valid expression argument. You want something along the lines of:
Code:
"date" | getline d
printf("<i>Generated at %s</i>", d)

or perhaps the much less readable but slightly more featureful (returns "ERR" if the command fails) though not necessarily more useful:
Code:
printf("<i>Generated at %s</i>\n", ("date 2>/dev/null" | getline d)==1 ? d : "ERR")

Note that if you are going to call this more than once, you need to close "date" or "date 2>/dev/null" between iterations.

Alister

Last edited by alister; 03-04-2010 at 06:04 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add new lines of text before and after each input line

I have a file that contains hundreds of lines such as: this_is_macro,000001 this_is_macro,000002 this_is_macro,000003 I would like to add the variable words MACROBEGIN MACRO_000001 MACROBEGIN MACRO_000002 MACROBEGIN MACRO_000003 above each line and add the word MACROEND ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

input a float data and add them in shell in linux

I want to input a float data and add them in shell in linux. I am new user of it can anyone tell me how I can do it? thanx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: purva
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to take input from file, match on it in file 2 and input data

All, I am trying to figure out a script to run in windows that will allow me to match on First column in file1 to 8th Column in File2 then Insert file1 column2 to file2 column4 then create a new file. File1: 12345 Sam 12346 Bob 12347 Bill File2:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darkoth
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to add input at certain location into a file

Hi, I am using Solaris 10 OS and trying to create shell script that can add input at certain location into a file. The input that I am trying to put is new domain name e.g @newdomain.com the file contains, more test01.out user/zzzz786@st.com/INBOX user/zzzz@po.com/INBOX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and add a field for an input file

Hello Sir/Madam, I'm new to UNIX and wondering if I can process a find & add using AWK command in UNIX? requirements: I have to find *.JPG field for each line in the input file and add it as a separate field for each line.. for ex: 0000684631,E,3088017,7... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: V1l1h1
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to input parameters and add Columns?

Hello and good day I am not familiar with programming. I have text files and I would like to: 1) edit script to input "a" and "b" parameters by users 2)put input directories in loop : Something like this: Ex: For i in /usr/desktop/input/SG* 3)add 2 more columns and performing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali.seifaddini
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add input to text file

In the attached bash file I am trying to add a block of code to add2text that will copy the input from match to a text file (file.txt). For example, if from the menu choice 1 is select the user is asked for the id.... lets say that is 12345, after that id is matched and converted can it be added... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search last column of INPUT.txt in TABLEs text and add correspond columns to INPUT.txt

Hi dears i use bash shell i have INPUT.txt like this number of columns different in one some row have 12 , some 11 columns see last column INPUT.txt CodeGender Age Grade Dialect Session Sentence Start End Length Phonemic Phonetic 63 M 27 BS/BA TEHRANI 3 4 298320 310050... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to add +1 to value based on condition in input

In the awk below I am trying to add a | that will adjust $2 in the ouput by adding +1 if the original value from file that was used in $3 had a - in it. Line 3 of file is an example of this. In my current awk I just subtract one but I am not sure how to only apply this to those values without a -.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)

NAME
Alien::Package::Rpm - an object that represents a rpm package DESCRIPTION
This is an object class that represents a rpm package. It is derived from Alien::Package. FIELDS
prefixes Relocatable rpm packages have a prefixes field. METHODS
checkfile Detect rpm files by their extention. install Install a rpm. If RPMINSTALLOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. scan Implement the scan method to read a rpm file. unpack Implement the unpack method to unpack a rpm file. This is a little nasty because it has to handle relocatable rpms and has to do a bit of permissions fixing as well. prep Prepare for package building by generating the spec file. cleantree Delete the spec file. build Build a rpm. If RPMBUILDOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. An optional parameter, if passed, can be used to specify the program to use to build the rpm. It defaults to rpmbuild. version Set/get version. When retreiving the version, remove any dashes in it. postinst postrm preinst prerm Set/get script fields. When retrieving a value, we have to do some truely sick mangling. Since debian/slackware scripts can be anything -- perl programs or binary files -- and rpm is limited to only shell scripts, we need to encode the files and add a scrap of shell script to make it unextract and run on the fly. When setting a value, we do some mangling too. Rpm maintainer scripts are typically shell scripts, but often lack the leading shebang line. This can confuse dpkg, so add the shebang if it looks like there is no shebang magic already in place. Additionally, it's not uncommon for rpm maintainer scripts to contain bashisms, which can be triggered when they are ran on systems where /bin/sh is not bash. To work around this, the shebang line of the scripts is changed to use bash. Also, if the rpm is relocatable, the script could refer to RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, which is set by rpm at run time. Deal with this by adding code to the script to set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX. arch Set/get arch field. When the arch field is set, some sanitizing is done first to convert it to the debian format used internally. When it's retreived it's converted back to rpm form from the internal form. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> perl v5.14.2 2011-08-05 Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)