Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kill idle script is killing unnecessarly Post 302400924 by methyl on Thursday 4th of March 2010 01:23:06 PM
Old 03-04-2010
Some areas where the script could go wrong:

1) If is run from cron too frequently runs could overlap.

2)
Quote:
who -u | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i -f $SELECTUSERS|/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '{print $1 "," $2 "," $6 "," $7}' > $USERSLOG
If one username is contained in another user name you could get a false match. e.g. "fred" and "alfred" . Depends on what your usernames are like.

3)
Quote:
PID=`ps -ef | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep "$PTS" | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep "pronto" | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk '{print $2}' | head -1`
Lots of scope for false mismatches. Consider similar PTS values "pts/aa" and "pts/aab" .
No point in running "ps -ef" because we already know $PTS. Try "ps -ft"${PTS}". This will make the script faster and reduce the chance of false matches.
Also the the second "grep" in the pipeline could find the first "grep" in the pipeline.

Could be better with something like this which allows for the user to log out since we started our script. Also reduces chance of false matches. I don't know whether the "head -1" is needed as I know nothing about your process table.

Quote:
ps -ft"${PTS}" 2>/dev/null | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep "pronto" | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -v "grep" | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk '{print $2}' | head -1 | while read PID
do
echo "PID is $PID" >>$KILLIDLELOG
echo "name is $NAME" >>$KILLIDLELOG
echo "Idle time is $TIME hrs" >>$KILLIDLELOG
echo "kill $PID" >>$KILLIDLELOG
echo "" >>$KILLIDLELOG
kill -5 $PID
done
I have never issued a "kill -5" but I assume that it means something to "pronto"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Killing Idle session

does any one know how to kill an idle session? I want to kill any idle sessions after 30 min... Local or remote.... i want to do this without a script or TCP wrappers...i want to know if there is a file that i can configure..... ThAnks:rolleyes: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: securhack
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Killing idle user processes

I'm looking for some help, please! I'm trying to kill any idle user processes over 40 Minutes. I have tried putting TMOUT=2400 within the users .profile However this does not seem to be working. We run aix 4.3.3 with ORACLE 7.3 The above works o.k. when the user is only within the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: annette
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Is there a script available to kill Idle users

My max user parm is set to 1050. I'm currently at 1038 this is causing major slow downs on the server. I looking for a way log off "idle" user logins with out having to do it individually. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for killing idle users

I need a script that will look for idle users and kill there proc. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdel80
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing idle users TIA

I wrote a script to kill users idle more than 1/2 hour, ignoring those in an exception list. Here is the script as it is now: #! /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { system("who -u | sort +5 > /tmp/loginfile"); system("echo User Sessions Killed > /tmp/killedlogins"); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PapaBear
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

kill idle users

Hi, In my network we uses the NetTerm program to connect us to HP-UX 10.x server from windows workstations, but in some cases the user doesn't logout and close it by window's x button. The problem is that in HP-UX the user and all his tasks remain active and when he enter again HP-UX creates a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: efrenba
12 Replies

7. AIX

Kill IDLE Process using script !!!

Dear Friends , I am using DB2 database in AIX 5.3 server . In my server some IDLE process are generated after several times which I need to kill it manually each and every time . The process I query like following : root@bagpuss $ ps auxw|sort -r +3|head -10 USER PID %CPU %MEM ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Kill idle dt session

Hi, i need to kill the idle dt sessions through script, can anyone tell me how to do? RJS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill idle Process using a script

Hi, I need a script that can automatically kill all processes named "webrepn" and "webrebw" if idle for more than 30 minutes. Then I will have a Cron Job to run the script every night or 2-3 times a day depends on how this script helps. Right now, I run "ps -ef | grep webrebn" and "kill -9... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaggieL
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trapping a kill command sent to a script and using it to send an EOF to a subprocess before killing

I originally had a script written in pure shell that I used to parse logs in real time and create a pipe delimited file that only contained errors. It worked but it was using a lot of memory (still not clear on why). I originally got around this by writing a wrapper for the script that ran on cron... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
1 Replies
fgrep(1)							   User Commands							  fgrep(1)

NAME
fgrep - search a file for a fixed-character string SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] -e pattern_list [file...] /usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] -f file [file...] /usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] pattern [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] -e pattern_list [-f file] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] [-e pattern_list] -f file [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] pattern [file...] DESCRIPTION
The fgrep (fast grep) utility searches files for a character string and prints all lines that contain that string. fgrep is different from grep(1) and from egrep(1) because it searches for a string, instead of searching for a pattern that matches an expression. fgrep uses a fast and compact algorithm. The characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and are interpreted literally by fgrep, that is, fgrep does not recognize full regular expressions as does egrep. These characters have special meaning to the shell. Therefore, to be safe, enclose the entire string within single quotes (a'). If no files are specified, fgrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line that is found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line that is found if there is more than one input file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/fgrep and /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep: -b Precedes each line by the block number on which the line was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by con- text. The first block is 0. -c Prints only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Searches for a string in pattern-list. This is useful when the string begins with a -. -f pattern-file Takes the list of patterns from pattern-file. -h Suppresses printing of files when searching multiple files. -i Ignores upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Prints the names of files with matching lines once, separated by new-lines. Does not repeat the names of files when the pattern is found more than once. -n Precedes each line by its line number in the file. The first line is 1. -s Works silently, that is, displays nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Prints all lines except those that contain the pattern. -x Prints only lines that are matched entirely. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep only: -q Quiet. Does not write anything to the standard output, regardless of matching lines. Exits with zero status if an input line is selected. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Specifies a path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. /usr/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -e pattern_list. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of fgrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of fgrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found 1 If no matches are found 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files, even if matches were found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), egrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), XPG4(5) NOTES
Ideally, there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F (see grep(1)). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F. SunOS 5.11 24 Mar 2006 fgrep(1)