Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut string from a line into a variable Post 302400910 by alister on Thursday 4th of March 2010 12:09:32 PM
Old 03-04-2010
Hi, jostber:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostber
grep "tid# 1876087" yourfile | sed 's/.*ID: //g' | sed -e 's/\(^[0-9].*\)).*/\1/g'
Using plain grep to filter sed input isn't necessary. Also, you can execute multiple commands with a single sed invocation. A translation of your pipeline:
Code:
sed '/tid# 1876087/!d; s/.*ID: //g; s/\(^[0-9].*\)).*/\1/g' yourfile

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 03-04-2010 at 01:16 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to cut a string from a variable

Hello All, I have a string type variable called "FULLSTR". This variable has a value of "path=/type/source/logs". I need to cut the characters after the character "=" to end of the string. Example: the new variable "MATCHSTR" should have value like this... "/type/source/logs" So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjaisan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To cut end string from line

HI, I want to cut end string from line. e.g. i have following input line /users/home/test.txt I want to get end string 'test.txt' from above line and length of that end string will change and it always start after '/'. Thanks, Visu (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: visu
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a string in a textfile line per line

i need to cut the string in a textfile but each line has a specific way of cutting it (different lengths) i have a for loop that gets the string line per line, then each line has to be compared: for x in `cat tmp2.txt`; do if; then echo 'BAC' elif ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: izuma
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line/Variable Editing for Awk sed Cut

Hello, i have a file, i open the file and read the line, i want to get the first item in the csv file and also teh third+6 item and wirte it to a new csv file. only problem is that using echo it takes TOO LONG: please help a newbie. below is my code: WorkingDir=$1 FileName=`cut -d ',' -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limamichelle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Line and sent as variable for each string

Hi , I want to read below output, lets called it output1.txt and each string for every line will be declare as a variables. This is the input file 196 server_a server_unix_2 FW 196 server_b server_win_1 CD 196 server_c server_win_2 CD 196 server_bd ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sQew
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut a string from a variable

hello, i need to cut a string in unix but not from file ,, from variable, i searched on special line , and i need a specific data from this line , i get it on variable, how can i cut data that i need ??? merci (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham.Donia
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut a string from a variable

I want to cut column 1 to 5 echo $somevariable | cut -c 1-5 not working (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut line up to a string

hi all In my bash script I want to cut a line up to a specific string and keep the rest of it but only up to a ".How can I do that?I imagine something with sed.. Let's say my line is: Jennifer Jones (student) "id:376765748587/7465674775" NewYork and i only want to keep: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting double quoted string from a line when line number is variable

I need to remove double quoted strings from specific lines in a file. The specific line numbers are a variable. For example, line 5 of the file contains A B C "string" I want to remove "string". The following sed command works: sed '5 s/\"*\"//' $file If there are multiple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rennatsb
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip to next line if the variable is string

Hi I have the follwoing requirement I have a file as follows: # cat priy yyy.poweroff_cmd = /sbin/poweroff hhh.powersave-nap = 1 When this file is provided as input, I first used "awk" command and saved variables present after "=" replace=$line replace1=`echo $line | awk -F "="... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
3 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)