Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Performing pattern match for a string that might be intermingle with other strings Post 302400596 by timmylita on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 04:23:03 PM
Old 03-03-2010
Performing pattern match for a string that might be intermingle with other strings

I have a log file that display the serial output coming from different places. Sometime the string in search gets clobbered with the other strings and consequently change form. For example:

serial ouput:
--------------

hello world!
done with network
configuring asic registers
comJan 1 00:00:11 network: checksum passed
plete

---------------

In this case I want to check for "complete" string but since it is clobbered with the network stuff, i cant verify its existence. Is there a way I can use some sort of string matching to detect such strings?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how can awk match multi pattern in a string

Hi all, I need to category the processes in my system with awk. And for now, there are several command with similar name, so i have to match more than one pattern to pick it out. for instance: binrundb the string1, 2 & 3 may contain word, number, blank or "/". The "bin" should be ahead "rundb"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Unique strings which match pattern

I need to grep for a pattern in a file. Files are huge and have several repeated occurances of the strings which match pattern. I just need the strings which contain the pattern in the output. For eg. The contents of my file are as follows. The pattern I want to match by is ABCD ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tektips
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern match url in string / PERL

Am trying to remove urls from text strings in PERL. I have the following but it does not seem to work: $remarks =~ s/www\.\s+\.com//gi; In English, I want to look for www. then I want to delete the www. and everything after it until I hit a space (but not including the space). It's not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrealty
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match pattern and replace with string

hi guys, insert into /*<new>*/abc_db.tbl_name this is should be replaced to insert into /*<new>*/${new}.tbl_name it should use '.' as delimiter and replace is there any way to do it using sed (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Pattern Match (replacement string)

Hello, i am splitting files and sometimes the string of the pattern doesnt exist in the input file it starts for example with 00:00:01. So the output is completely desorganized, is there any way of putting a replacement string in the pattern so it will grab all the times from 00:**:** to first... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-plicit78
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string to match pattern (data processing)

Hello i have go the following result from performing 2 testing using the same file. I have used unix script to extract the result because the files are many as shown below. 01_gravity.f.tcov 7 3 42.86 02_gravity.f.tcov 9 4 80.86... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganiel24
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK break string into fields + pattern match

I am trying to break a string into separate fields and print the field that matches a pattern. I am using awk at the moment and have gotten this far: awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;++i)print "\t" $i}' longstring This breaks the string into fields and prints each field on a separate line. I want to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern match in a string

Hello, Please see below line code: #!/bin/ksh set -x /usr/bin/cat /home/temp |while read line do if ] then echo "matched" else echo "nope" fi done content of filr temp is as below (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skhichi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print strings that match pattern with awk

I have a file with many lines which contain strings like .. etc. But with no rule regarding field separators or anything else. I want to print ONLY THE STRING from each line , not the entire line !!! For example from the lines : Flow on service executed with success in . Performances... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Match & Extract from a string

Hi, I have long string in 2nd field, as shown below: REF1 | CLESCLJSCSHSCSMSCSNSCSRSCUDSCUFSCU7SCV1SCWPSCXGPDBACAPA0DHDPDMESED6 REF2 | SBR4PCBFPCDRSCSCG3SCHEBSCKNSCKPSCLLSCMCZXTNPCVFPCV6P4KL0DMDSDSASEWG I have a group of fixed patterns which can occur in these long strings & only... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
11 Replies
match(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							  match(1)

NAME
match - Match strings against glob paterns SYNOPSIS
match [-gilrqs] [-n <n>] [-c cmd] [-x code] {[-p] pattern | -f <file>} str1 [str2 ...] DESCRIPTION
match checks strings against pattern, which should be a shell-like glob pattern. pattern may contain the following special characters: ? A "?" character in pattern matches any single character in the string, except that the "/" character is only matched if match was given the -s option. * A "*" character in pattern matches zero or more characters in the string. The exception is that it will only match "/" characters if match was given the -s option. [...] A set of characters between square brackets matches any character in the set. In addition, the "-" character can be used to specify a range. For example "[+e0-3]" would match any of the characters "+", "e", 0, 1, 2, or 3 in the input string. To include a hyphen ("-") in the set of characters matched, either include the hyphen first or last, or escape it with a "". [!...] A character class preceded by a "!" matches any character but those specified in the class. The exception is that the negated character class will match a "/" only if match was given the -s option. c The backslash character escapes the next character c. Thus, to match a literal "*", you would use the pattern "*". match prints each string that matches pattern, one per line, and exits 0 if one or more strings matched. If no string matches, match exits with status 67 (or whatever alternate status was specified by the -x flag). If the -n n flag was specified, match prints only the text that matched the nth occurrence of "*" in the patten. OPTIONS -f file Specifies that the pattern should be read from file. match will read each line of the file and consider it as pattern to match against the argument strings. For each argument string, match stops when it hits the first matching line of the file. If file does not exist, match exits 67, or whatever code was specified by -x. -g Normally, the -n option selects text matching particular "*" characters in the patern. -g changes this behavior to use parentheses for grouping. Thus, for instance, the text "foo.c" would match pattern "*(.[ch])", and the output with option -n 1 would be ".c". To include a literal "(" or ")" in the pattern with the -g option, you must precede the character with a "". -i Makes the match case insensitive. str will be considered to match if any variation on its capitalization would match. For example, string "G" would match pattern "[f-h]". -l When a pattern matches the string in more than one way, the -l flag says to assign as much text as possible to the leftmost "*"s in the pattern. For example, pattern "*+*" would match text "a+b+c", and the first "*" would match "a+b". This behavior is the default, thus -l's effect is only to undo a previous -r flag. -n n With this flag, match prints the text that matched the nth "*" in the pattern, as opposed to printing the whole string. The leftmost "*" corresponds to -n 1. Specifying -n 0 causes match to print the whole matching string. Specifying -n -1 or using a value greater than the number of "*"s in the pattern causes match not to print anything, in which case you can still use the exit status to see if there is a match. The default value for n is 0, unless -g has also been specified, in which case the default is 1. -c command When -c is specified, match runs command with the system shell (/bin/sh), giving it as argument $0 the full string that matched, and as arguments $1, $2, etc., the parts of the string that matched any "*"s in pattern. If the command does not exit with status 0, match will exit immediately, before processing further matches, with whatever status command returned. The -c and -n flags are mutually exclusive. -p pattern Specifies the pattern to match against. The -p flag is optional; you can specify pattern as the first argument following the options. However, if you want to try matching the same input string against multiple patterns, then you must specify each pattern with a -p flag. -q This option is synonymous with -n -1; it suppresses output when there is a match. You can still determine whether a match occurred by the exit status. -r When a pattern matches the string in more than one way, the -r flag says to assign as much text as possible to the rightmost "*"s in the pattern. For example, with -r, pattern "*+*" would match text "a+b+c" with the "*" matching "a", and the second matching "b+c". -s Ordinarily, "*", "?", and negated character classes ("[!...]") do not match "/" characters. -s changes this behavior to match slashes. -x code By default, when there is no match, match exits with status 67. With this option, match exits with status code, instead. EXAMPLES
Suppose you have a directory with a bunch of files ending .c and .o. If, for each file named foo.c you want to attempt to delete the file foo.o, you can run the following command: match -p '*.c' -c 'rm -f $1.o' *.c Servers running the mailman list manager often send mail from bounce addresses of the form listname-bounces@host.com. If you subscribe to multiple lists on the same server, the mailman interface makes it easier if you subscribe under the same address. To split the mail into multiple folders based on the bounce address in the environment variable SENDER, you might chose a mailbox with the following shell code: name=`match -n1 "*-bounces@host.com" "$SENDER"` && echo "$HOME/Mail/incoming/host-$name.spool" SEE ALSO
avenger(1), avenger.local(8) The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 match(1)