Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl and Sockets - Error handling Post 302400504 by Hollinch on Thursday 4th of March 2010 01:53:27 AM
Old 03-04-2010
OK many thanks for your help. Cheers.

---------- Post updated 04-03-10 at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous update was 03-03-10 at 04:44 PM ----------

Does anyone else have any idea why Linux throws the 'Illegal seek' status message?

Many thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file handling problem in perl......

Hi, I am opening a file......then i am wrting some data into it......and i am reopening the file again but ......i get a error cannot open file....... $::file= "\adder\testfile.txt" open(TEST1,$::file); some write operation close(TEST1) open(TEST1,$::file) 'I GET A ERROR CAN OPEN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Signal handling in Perl

Guys, I'm doing signal handling in Perl. I'm trying to catch ^C signal inside the script. There two scripts : one shell script and one perl script. The shell script calls the perl script. For e.g. shell script a.sh and perl scipt sig.pl. Shell script a.sh looks something like this :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: obelix
6 Replies

3. Programming

XML Handling in Perl

Hi there, I'm newby in perl and XML. I can read and parse Xml with XML-Node upper XML::Parser, but how can I create XML tags and pack my individual data in it then send through socket. PLZ lead me :) Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters handling in perl

Hi, Here is my piece of code-- sub per_user_qna_detail { for($index=0;$index<@records;$index++) { if($records =~ m/^(.*)\s*Morocco.*Entering\s*Module::authenticate/) { printf "INSIDE per_user_qna_detail on LINE NO $index\n"; $Time_Stamp = $1;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Parameters in Perl

Hi All, I'm pretty new to the forum and also to UNIX. I have a requirement for which I need some help. I have a script (example.script) where I get user inputs using the read command. I would need to pass the read-fetched input to a perl command (explained below) in my script. The part which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
3 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Perl Error Handling Problem

I can get this working, but if something is down I get an error and the script does not move on. I can not get the "else" function working. What might I be doing wrong? use SNMP::Simple my %ios = (); $list="list.list"; open(DAT, $list) || die("Can't Open List"); @raw_data=<DAT>;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
4 Replies

7. Programming

Perl help for file handling

$# some text $$ some text $@ some text $$. some text Mg1 some text Mg2 some text . . . Mg10 some text The above 10 lines are to be extracted except the lines starting from $#,$$.,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baig.abdul
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL error handling

I have a PERL command line embedded in a UNIX script. The script doesn't handle errors coming out of this command. I'm processing large files and occassionally I run out of disk space and end up with half a file. perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/g' < TR_TMP_$4 > $4 How do I handle errors coming out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OTChancy
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Handling using ISQL for oracle connection in Perl

Hi Am making connection to oracle using ISQL as shown in the code. This code is just a minor part of a big code. I want to capture the error if the password/login is wrong or if connection is not made. I need to capture the error code also. Also, If such an error occurs, i need to exit out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl file handling error

Hi, I am reading and file and writting each word to other file. where I have used array to store the data. I am getting below error as "Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at customize_split_raw.pl line 51, <IN_FILE> " Where my line 51 code is 50 foreach... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer123
8 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::RequireCheckedOpen(3pUser Contributed Perl DocumentatPerl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::RequireCheckedOpen(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::RequireCheckedOpen - Write "my $error = open $fh, $mode, $filename;" instead of "open $fh, $mode, $filename;". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The perl builtin I/O function "open" returns a false value on failure. That value should always be checked to ensure that the open was successful. my $error = open( $filehandle, $mode, $filename ); # ok open( $filehandle, $mode, $filename ) or die "unable to open: $!"; # ok open( $filehandle, $mode, $filename ); # not ok use autodie; open $filehandle, $mode, $filename; # ok You can use autodie, Fatal, or Fatal::Exception to get around this. Currently, autodie is not properly treated as a pragma; its lexical effects aren't taken into account. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. AUTHOR
Andrew Moore <amoore@mooresystems.com> ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
This policy module is based heavily on policies written by Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Andrew Moore. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::RequireCheckedOpen(3pm)