Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Explanation for printf string in awk Post 302400037 by karthigayan on Tuesday 2nd of March 2010 05:31:12 AM
Old 03-02-2010
It just used to format the output .

For example ,
You are printing the string which has 25 characters.If you give %30s when print that string then you will get five space characters in front of the string.
If the string has more that 30characters you will not get the space characters .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK explanation

Hi, Could anyone please explain why we have arr=1 - what does this statement do? awk -F\; 'FNR==NR{arr=1;next};$3 in arr' core.txt gmrd.txt Any help appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: problems escaping printf-command string

Hi Folks! Can you help me with this find -printf command. I seem to be unable to execute the printf-command from my shell script. I'm confused: :confused: My shell script snippet looks like this: #!/bin/sh .. COMMAND="find ./* -printf '%p %m %s %u %g \n'" echo "Command: ${COMMAND}"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamb
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf formatting using string format specifier.

Hi all, My simple AWK code does C = A - B If C can be a negative number, how awk printf formating handles it using string format specifier. Thanks in advance Kanu :confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf with Character String

I am trying to use printf with a character string that is used within a do loop. The problem is that while in the loop, the printf prints the variable name instead of the value. The do loop calls the variable name from a text file (called device.txt): while read device do cat $device.clean... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dleblanc67
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help formatting a string. Something like printf?

Hi I'm having a problem with converting a file: ID X 1 7 1 8 1 3 2 5 2 7 2 2 To something like this: ID X1 X2 X3 1 7 8 3 2 5 7 2 I've tried the following loop: for i in `cat tst.csv| awk -F "," '{print $1}'| uniq`;do grep -h $i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String formatting using awk printf

Hi Friends, I am trying to insert lines of the below format in a file: # x3a4914 Joe 2010/04/07 # seh Lane 2010/04/07 # IN01379 Larry 2010/04/07 I am formatting the strings as follows using awk printf: awk 'printf "# %s %9s %18s\n", $2,$3,$4}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk explanation

Hello, I have recently come across this awk program. Can some one shed some light on what is taking place. awk '{!a++}END{for(i in a) if ( a >10 ) print a,i }' $FILE Best Regards, jaysunn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a string using printf?

I want to print a string say "str1 str2 str3 str4" using printf. If I try printing it using printf it is printing as follows. output ------- str1 str2 str3 str4 btw I'm working in AIX. This is my first post in this forum :) regards, rakesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigmatrix
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to match string within awk printf

Hi All I am working to process txt file into csv commo separated. Input.txt 1,2,asdf,34sdsd,120,haahha2 2,2,wewedf,45sdsd,130,haahha ..... .... Errorcode.txt 120 130 140 myawk.awk code: { BEGIN{ HEADER="f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf padded string

Is possible to print padded string in printf? Example echo 1 | awk '{printf("%03d\n", $1)}' 001I want S1 S11 S2 S21to be padded as: S01 S11 S02 S21Thanks! (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
26 Replies
UUENCODE(5)							File Formats Manual						       UUENCODE(5)

NAME
uuencode - format of an encoded uuencode file DESCRIPTION
Files output by uuencode(1) consist of a header line, followed by a number of body lines, and a trailer line. The uudecode(1) command will ignore any lines preceding the header or following the trailer. Lines preceding a header must not, of course, look like a header. The header line is distinguished by having the first 6 characters begin This is followed by a mode (in octal), and a string which names the remote file. A space character separates the three items in the header line. The body consists of a number of lines, each at most 62 characters long (including the trailing newline). These consist of a character count, followed by encoded characters, followed by a newline. The character count is a single printing character, and represents an inte- ger, the number of bytes the rest of the line represents. Such integers are always in the range from 0 to 63 and can be determined by sub- tracting the character space (octal 40) from the character. Groups of 3 bytes are stored in 4 characters, 6 bits per character. All are offset by a space to make the characters printing. The last line may be shorter than the normal 45 bytes. If the size is not a multiple of 3, this fact can be determined by the value of the count on the last line. Extra garbage will be included to make the character count a multiple of 4. The body is terminated by a line with a count of zero. This line consists of one ASCII space. The trailer line consists of end on a line by itself. SEE ALSO
uuencode(1), uudecode(1), uusend(1), uucp(1), mail(1) HISTORY
The uuencode file format appeared in BSD 4.0 . UUENCODE(5)