Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: If statement is not working.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting If statement is not working. Post 302399820 by Ccccc on Monday 1st of March 2010 05:16:01 PM
Old 03-01-2010
If statement is not working.

Hi.
With the help of this group I have created a shell script to find the factorial of a number.

OK. Then I got wild.Smilie I tried to put in a check to make sure the entry is a number.
Code:
read num
If [[ $num != [0-9] )) then
  echo "This is not a valid number. Try again."
fi
while (( $var <= $num))

more statements...

Error:line 12: ((: 6 != [0-9] : syntax error: operand expected (error token is "[0-9] "}

This error did not stop the script from finding the factorial.
Thanks In Advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find/if statement not working

Hi guys: I am trying to delete multiple files in a folder with different names. Below is the script that I was trying, but it doesn't work ************************** #!/bin/ksh DATE=`date '+20%y%m%d'` DEL_DIR=<dir where files have to be deleted> let DATE2=$(($DATE - 2)) let DATE1=$(($DATE... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomonap
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement not working

I understand this question probably poses some child like stupidity, but I can't get this if statement to work for love or money. #!/bin/ksh echo "Input either 1 or 2" read Num if ; then echo "Message 1" if ; then echo "Message 2" else echo "false" fi $ ksh decisions Input either 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hazmeister
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

until statement not working

im trying to write an until statement which dont go onto the next stage until the user inputs a certain phrase. It is then stored in an array. Ive come up with this code so far but its not working and i dont know why. read in1 until do echo "Incorrect, try again" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read statement not working in a script

I have a script consisting of certain functions whose input is a file at same location. In that file i have written the name of anothe file at same location. The third file contains a word which act as a function in the first script.Let me give an example i have a scrip file say 1.sh in which i am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitdua
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement not working as desired

Hello all, I am trying to write a post-commit hook script using bash script. What I am trying to do here is: Developers check in their files to a branch. I check the repository and based on the commit I email QA people. QA verifies and moves the files to a prod branch and email is sent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kminkeller
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cshell if statement not working

Hi .I am trying to check the first arguments =-s and the third =-d,but it doesnt work ,any idea why It gives me if: Missing file name Thanks #case -s and files if( $1 == "-s" && $3 != "-d" ) then echo "case s" endif (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lio123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement is not working in KSH

#! /bin/ksh rm -f ./xyz file --- this line is working // Below any if stmt is not working. if then echo " blah blah " fi or I replaced above if with if then echo "dir exists" fi This is also not working. I am new to KSH. So can someone help why if stmt is not... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggy9583
31 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement with [[ ]] and regex not working as expected

Using BASH: $ if -- ::00" ]]; then echo "true"; else echo "false"; fi false Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case statement not working as expected

case "$freq" in " Hz") low=250; high=550;; "8 Hz") low=250; high=1000;; " Hz") low=400; high=1000;; "63 Hz") low=550; high=1000;; " Hz") low=400; high=550;; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read statement not working

hello guys, i am having the below piece of code error () { echo"Press y /n" read ans case $ans in y) main;; n) exit esac } In the abve code, read statement is not working i.e not waiting for user to enter input. ,i tested exit status its 1. could anyone help me to do this ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
11 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action Set GIT_REFLOG_ACTION environment to a given string (typically the name of the program) unless it is already set. Whenever the script runs a git command that updates refs, a reflog entry is created using the value of this string to leave the record of what command updated the ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. create_virtual_base modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)