Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Log file rotation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Log file rotation Post 302399662 by Nila on Monday 1st of March 2010 06:54:15 AM
Old 03-01-2010
You use logrotate command as neo said.Otherwise tell me,what are the arguments you passed to your function.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Log rotation on HP-UX

Can anyone post a sample log rotate and archive configuration on HP-UX? I really don't know how to do that... :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: untamed
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

log rotation

Hello all. Due to some reason I can not use HUP to rotate needed log files. So I use the standard method: cp $file $file.1 cat /dev/null > $file But if Java application in this time writing the output to $file, in the beginning of it appears many "^@^@^@^@^@^@". How to avoid it? Or how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
6 Replies

3. AIX

audit.log file rotation

Hi guys, I've googled this quite a bit, and tried searching on these forums, but haven't found a solution to my problem. I wanted to inquire about AIX's audit subsystem - more specifically, how to rotate its log file. So far I've been able to find how to rotate AIX syslog log files, and I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: w1r3d
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check File Size For Log Rotation

Hi Can anyone assist me, I am trying to compate the size of a logfile to a maximum size 1000 and delete if exceeds the limit. The problem I am getting is the command not found for the line if ( $LOGNAME_SIZE >= $MAXSIZE); then Appreciate your response. Script: LOGDIR="/home/... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris log rotation

HI, What is log rotation in Solaris ? What are the essential steps to perform log rotation in Solaris? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Revathi@1
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Log rotation, twice

hi folk, need advise regarding the log rotation, i have the logadm set at 30 2 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm so it supposed to rotate once per day, but now it rotated twice! but someone my log will rotate at 2:30 AM, but then another 2 hours later, it creates a new and rotate a new log again,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log Rotation

Hi Guys, Good morning, I just want to know and collect ideas on this one. Regarding rotation of logs as I've observed it's not consistently functioning. I have a server with 8 Partitions, each partition has a dedicated directory for the logs that is needed and I set it every 5mins (300secs) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Log rotation

Hi All! I seem to have a problem with log rotation, unless I am doing something wrong, I have type the following command for testing purposes to see if the -s option works but he did not: logadm -w /var/adm/messages -C 8 -c -s 512k -t '/var/adm/messages.$n' -z 1 the file is now at this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log rotation script

I have an application that rotate its log once it reaches 100mb and it keeps a total of 24 logs. I am trying to write a script to run daily to tar up the previous day logs files and move them to a different directory. here is a long listing of the logs in the directory: -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: e_mikey_2000
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename the Linux log file to the rotation date

Hi all, could any provide me a solution for the below requirement. I have two files namely abc.log.1 and abc.log.2 The above files have time stamp as Dec 08 and Dec 09 I need to rename the files as abc.log.1_20141208 and abc.log.2_20141209 and move to another bkp directory. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar t
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)