Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to tail log in one script? Post 302399219 by methyl on Friday 26th of February 2010 05:52:15 PM
Old 02-26-2010
Please post the command(s) you use to see each individual log.
Btw. Blending the logs from three servers is unlikely to be sensible or practical.
Do you have a particular reason like monitoring each log for particular error messages?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f a log file redirected into a new window?

Is this possible? I am attempting to display a new xterm window and tail -f the log file within that new window. I am currently working on a solaris 8 machine if that has any different meaning than the other platforms. As you can see, I am a newbie to this forum and to UNIX. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: douknownam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash tail monitor log file

Hi there, I have a problem here that involves bash script since I was noob in that field. Recently, I have to monitor data involve in logs so I just run command tail -f for the monitoring. The logs was generate every hour so I need to quickly change my logs every time the new hour hits according... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriezo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to tail a log file..

Hi All.. I have a log file in which all the backup information is stored. Now i have written a script which get the last line in the backup log file.. ssh -l ora${sid} ${primaryhost} "tail -1 /oracle/$ORACLE_SID/sapbackup/back$ORACLE_SID.log" However i would like to tail the line last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run tail -f for 3 log files from a script

hi i need to run from a bash script tail -f /var/log/access_log >> access1 tail -f /var/log/prod/prod1 >> access1 tail -f /var/log/prod/prod2 >> access1 this script purpose is to start at server boot time and should always run. what is the best way to put it on a script Thanks Dan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dan12341234
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail log on remote iPad

I have a jailbroken ipad acting as a window sign. It is running an app I wrote that plays a video over and over. Sometimes it stops working, so I set up a log to the device that I can read. I would like to get an alert when the log shows that the player has stopped working. I have openSSH set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail and log rotation

Need some suggestion with an old problem form a thread here: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/153204-multiple-not-statement-awk.html Since my log is large, I did get help to make a line that splits the log into two partstail -f syslog | awk '!/snmpd|ntpd|reject/{print | "tee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jotne
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to tail an installation log?

Hi Guys, when installing an application, I believe there is a log file which is create to log the progress of the installation. What I will like to know is, how do you tail the start log file to see the installation as it is progressing. I will really appreciate your help. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tail -f logfile. if log file is generate every 1 HR.?

Hello, How to tail -f logfile. if log file is gennerate every 1 HR. I want it works automatically all the time. never changes it by manual. Thank ls -trl CybertonTransaction.* -rw-r--r-- 1 autobot robot 617071 Jul 9 00:02 CybertonTransaction.20130709-00.log -rw-r--r-- 1 autobot ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alternative to tail -n -0 -F for monitoring live log file

Hello, I have been working on script which need to generate an alert based upon live logs. If string is found then an alert mail must triggered. tail -n -0 -F works fine to redirect the each latest line from live logs file to grep a pattern for matching but it seems to be not working on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
7 Replies
INOTAIL(1)						       Inotify enhanced tail							INOTAIL(1)

NAME
inotail - A fast and lightweight version of tail using inotify SYNOPSIS
inotail [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
inotail is a replacement for the 'tail' program found in the base installation of every Linux/UNIX system. It makes use of the inotify in- frastructure in recent versions of the Linux kernel to speed up tailing files in the follow mode (the '-f' option). Standard tail polls the file every second by default while inotail listens to special events sent by the kernel through the inotify API to determine whether a file needs to be reread. Note: inotail will not work on systems running a kernel without inotify. To enable inotify, please set CONFIG_INOTIFY=y in your Linux kernel configuration and recompile it. Currently inotail is not fully compatible to neither POSIX or GNU tail but might be in the future. OPTIONS
-c N, --bytes=N output the last N bytes. If the first character of N is a '+', begin printing with the Nth character from the start of each file. -f, --follow keep the file(s) open and print appended data as the file grows -n N, --lines=N output the last N lines (default: 10) If the first character of N is a '+', begin printing with the Nth line from the start of each file. -v, --verbose print headers with file names -h, --help show help and exit -V, --version show inotail version and exit AUTHOR
Written by Tobias Klauser <tklauser@distanz.ch> SEE ALSO
tail(1), inotify(7) 2006-08-13 INOTAIL(1)