Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Deploy a package on many systems Post 302399216 by TonyFullerMalv on Friday 26th of February 2010 05:32:52 PM
Old 02-26-2010
Using an NFS share mounted to all the hosts means they can get the RPM file without resorting to SCP.

I have written a script that installs changes using an NFS mounted directory containing the packages/patches and flag directory with a sub directory per package/patch which each machines checks hourly (using cron) and if they do not see a flag file of their own hostname in any of the flag directories they then install that package/patch and create a flag file on successful completion.

There are various products like AltirisNS (Windows hosted) in addition to satellite server, etc. that can do this but that was not what the interview question was asking for...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

how to restore original package after uninstalling the upgraded package using rpm

have following package installed rpm -qa |grep ADMIN It will give the following package installed: ADMIN-4.0.0.1 Now I will upgrade the ADMIN package using the following command. rpm --upgrade ADMIN-4.1.0.1 It will upgrade the ADMIN packagge to ADMIN-4.1.0.1 Now I want that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find dependancies of .dstream package (Solaris) & .rpm package( linux)

Friends, Please let meknow, How we can find the dependancies of .dstream package & .rpm package before installation ? For AIX, We can use the inutoc . command to create the .toc file for the bff package, What about Solaris & Linux ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yb4779
0 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't install rpm package with --prefix in new path.Error: package is not relocatable

Hello, i have downloaded an rpm package "hadoop-0.20.205.0-1.amd64.rpm" in /usr/local/ directory. I'm trying to install the rpm package in a new path/location (/usr/local/hadoop-0.20.205), but i can't. I did: 1st try: Didn't work sudo rpm -i --prefix=/usr/local/hadoop-0.20.205... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem when trying to remove a package using rpm command - error: package is not installed

Hello, i have installed a package by using the command sudo rpm -i filepackage.rpm package filepackage is already installed when i try to remove it, i get an error saying "is not installed": sudo rpm -e filepackage.rpm error: package filepackage is not installed How can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_p
4 Replies

6. Web Development

Software to deploy website ?

Hi, I'm planning to deploy a website in my LAN. I already have apache installed in my PC, but I dont want to write codes for web page rather is there any software that allows me to design webpage, add contents, add users, upload docs etc.. rapidly. Free softwares are most welcome (both in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where is the best location to deploy an application on Tomcat over Linux?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the best location to deploy an application on Tomcat over Linux server. The application structure is as follows: 1. WAR - the app itself. 2. conf - configuration files that are part of the product, not to be changed in deployment 3. local_conf - overriding... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshebs
0 Replies
mount(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  mount(8)

Name
       mount, umount - mount or unmount file systems

Syntax
       /etc/mount [ options ] [ device ] [ directory ]

/etc/umount [ options ] [ device ] [ directory ]

Description
       This  is  a  general description of the command.  Additional descriptions are provided to define the syntax and options for the NFS and UFS
       file systems.

Each invocation of the command announces to the system that a file system is present on the device device.  The file system may be local or
       remote.	File directory must exist as a directory file.	It becomes the name of the newly mounted file system root.

If invoked without arguments, prints the list of mounted file systems.

Physically write-protected disks and magnetic tape file systems must be mounted read-only or an error will occur at mount time.

General users can only mount file systems with certain restrictions.  For example, the user, other than the superuser, performing the mount
       must own the directory directory.  Furthermore, no users other than the superuser can execute or programs on the mounted file systems.	In
       addition, users other than the superuser cannot access block or special character devices such as on the mounted file systems.

The  command  announces	to the system that the removable file system previously mounted on the specified directory is to be removed.  Only
       the person who mounted a particular file system or the superuser can unmount the file system again.

Options
       -a	   Reads the file and mounts, or unmounts, all file systems listed there.

-f	   Fast unmount.  The option has no meaning for local file systems and directories.  However, for remote file system  types  (such
		   as  NFS),  the  option  causes  the	client	to unmount the remotely mounted file systems and directories without notifying the
		   server.  This can avoid the delay of waiting for acknowledgment from a server that is down.

-o options  Specifies a string that is passed to the kernel and used by the specific file system's mount routine in the kernel.	 For  spe-
		   cific options, refer to the file system-specific description, such as

-r	   Indicates  that  the  file system is to be mounted read only. To share a disk, each host must mount the file system with the -r
		   option.

-t type	   Specifies the type of file system is being mounted.	When used with the option, the option mounts all file systems of the given
		   type found in the file.  For specific file system types, refer to the file system-specific description, such as

-v	   Tells what did or did not happen.  (Verbose flag)

The options for are:

-a	   Unmounts all mounted file systems.  It may be necessary to execute twice to accomplish unmounting of all mounted file systems.

-v	   Tells what did or did not happen.  (Verbose flag)

Restrictions
       Mounting corrupted file systems will crash the system.

Files
       File systems information table

See Also
       getmnt(2), mount(2), fstab(5), fsck(8), mount(8nfs), mount(8ufs)

mount(8)