Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete all lines with less then 32 characters from a textfile? Post 302399097 by alister on Friday 26th of February 2010 09:40:39 AM
Old 02-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrix
I tested my method and it works perfectly. I also modified it so that it takes an arbitrary range of line lengths, as well as allowing the user to decide whether to write to the file:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Deletes lines of a certain range length from a file.
# Writing the result back to the file is optional.

write="no";
for opt in $*
do
    case $opt in
        -w ) write="yes";
             shift;;
        -* ) shift;;
        *  );;
    esac
done
if [ $write == "yes" ]
then
    sed -e "/^.\{$1,$2\}$/d" $3 > tempfile.txt;
    cat tempfile.txt > $3;
    rm tempfile.txt;
else
    sed -e "/^.\{$1,$2\}$/d" $3;
fi

Did you test it with filenames containing IFS characters? Assuming a default IFS value, your option handling, sed invocations, and cat statement will all barf if a filename contains whitespace.

Code:
for opt in $*

should be
Code:
for opt in "$@"

All instances of $3 need to be double-quoted.

Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines in a file that have duplicates or derive the lines that aper once

Input: a b b c d d I need: a c I know how to get this (the lines that have duplicates) : b d sort file | uniq -d But i need opossite of this. I have searched the forum and other places as well, but have found solution for everything except this variant of the problem. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: necroman08
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect lines beginning with double-byte characters (Japanese) and delete

Greetings, I want to use a script (preferably awk) which determines if the first character in a line is double-byte (as in Japanese or Chinese) and deletes it. For example: (in the above quote, I see Japanese on my screen for two lines - with 2 characters in the first and 3 characters in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ubbeauty
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How get only required lines & delete the rest of the lines in file

Hiiii I have a file which contains huge data as a.dat: PDE 1990 1 9 18 51 28.90 24.7500 95.2800 118.0 6.1 0.0 BURMA event name: 010990D time shift: 7.3000 half duration: 5.0000 latitude: 24.4200 longitude: 94.9500 depth: 129.6000 Mrr: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string in textfile, erase $num lines after that string

I have a textfile containing text similar to the following pattern: STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING1 STRING2 STRING3 STRING4 STRING5 STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING2 STRING2 STRING3 STRING4 STRING5 STRING1 UNIQUE_STRING3 STRING2 STRING3 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilcsfe
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk to delete single lines that aren't touching other lines

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to use sed or awk to delete single lines in a file. By single, I mean lines that are not touching any other lines (just one line with white space above and below). Example: one two three four five six seven eight I want it to look like: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: slimjbe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut lines from and to in a textfile

i am having a text file like below rama surya pandu latha singh raja i want to get the new file from 3 to 5 i.e pandu latha singh please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate sorte different characters from one textfile and copy them in a new textfile?

My first post, so don't kill me :) Say i open some textfile with some example like this. on the table are handy, bread and wine Now i know exactly what is in and i want to separate and sorted it in terminal to an existing file with another 2 existing lines in like this: table plane ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: schwatter
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replicating certain lines in a textfile

I am very new to to shell scripting and facing a problem that I can't seem to solve. I want to write a bash script that edits file1.txt and saves it as file2.txt. This is what the files should look like: file1: textline1 textline2 startCopy copyThis endCopy textline3 textline4 file2: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy90
6 Replies
doc::lua-oocairo-fontopt(3)				       Lua OO Cairo binding				       doc::lua-oocairo-fontopt(3)

Name
       lua-oocairo-fontopt - options controlling text rendering

Introduction
       A font options object contains options that tell Cairo how to render text on surfaces.  They can be created with the "font_options_create"
       function in the main oocairo module (see lua-oocairo(3)), and retrieved from scaled fonts or context objects with "get_font_options"
       methods.

Font options objects can be compared with the "==" operator.  Two different objects with the same options set will be considered equal.

Methods
       The following methods are available on font options objects:

opt:copy ()
	   Returns a new font options object, with identical options to opt.  The two objects will be completely independent, so you can set them
	   to have different options.

opt:get_antialias ()
	   Get the current antialiasing mode, which will be one of the strings accepted by the "opt:set_antialias()" method.

opt:get_hint_metrics ()
	   Returns the current hint metrics option, which will be one of the same strings accepted by the "opt:set_hint_metrics()" method.

opt:get_hint_style ()
	   Get the kind of font hinting done when rendering text.  Returns one of the strings accepted by the "opt:set_hint_style()" method.

opt:get_subpixel_order ()
	   Returns the current ordering of colour components in pixels used for subpixel rendering, which will be one of the same strings accepted
	   by the "opt:set_subpixel_order()" method.

opt:hash ()
	   Return a number which can be used as a hash key identifying the particular options in opt.  That is, if you wanted to cache fonts
	   according to the options set on them, you could store them in a table with this hash value as the key.  Two font options objects with
	   the same options will have the same hash value.

opt:merge (srcopt)
	   Add any options which are set to a non-default value in srcopt to opt if that still has the default value from them.  The options in
	   srcopt will be unchanged.  Nothing is returned.

opt:set_antialias (antialiastype)
	   Set the antialiasing mode used for drawing.	The argument must be a string or boolean value accepted by the "set_antialias" method on
	   context objects (see lua-oocairo-context(3)).

opt:set_hint_metrics (hintmetrics)
	   Set the kind of hinting to be applied to the metrics, as opposed to outlines, of the glyphs in a font.  The hintmetrics value must be
	   one of the following strings:

off
	   on
       opt:set_hint_style (hintstyle)
	   Set the kind of font hinting done when rendering text.  The hintstyle value must be one of the following strings:

none
	   slight
	   medium
	   full
       opt:set_subpixel_order (order)
	   Used to inform Cairo of the arrangement of colour components in the pixels of a display device like a monitor.  Only applies if
	   subpixel antialiasing is used.  The order value must be one of the following strings:

rgb
	   bgr
	   vrgb
	   vbgr

The last two options refer to vertical arrangements of colours.

1.4								    2011-05-18					       doc::lua-oocairo-fontopt(3)