Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Deploy a package on many systems Post 302399018 by sysgate on Friday 26th of February 2010 05:18:53 AM
Old 02-26-2010
Using TCL/Expect is another possible answer, at least for me. Here's an example of usage - I have CVS checked-out every day, so I want to distribute certain files to a list of servers, I would use something as simple as :
Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect

set timeout 60

if { $argc != 1 } {
    puts "Usage $argv0 file"
    exit 1
}

set file [lindex $argv 0]
set user root
set pass password
set remote_path "/opt/install"

foreach host { host1 host2 host3 } {

eval spawn scp -oUserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null  $::file $::user@$::host:$::remote_path
expect *assword:

send "$::pass\r"
expect eof

}

The script is very simple, and it relies on certain hard-coded parameters, including the security risk of exposing the password in plain text, but those could be parametrized. This is just a sample logic.

Last edited by sysgate; 02-26-2010 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: More info

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

how to restore original package after uninstalling the upgraded package using rpm

have following package installed rpm -qa |grep ADMIN It will give the following package installed: ADMIN-4.0.0.1 Now I will upgrade the ADMIN package using the following command. rpm --upgrade ADMIN-4.1.0.1 It will upgrade the ADMIN packagge to ADMIN-4.1.0.1 Now I want that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find dependancies of .dstream package (Solaris) & .rpm package( linux)

Friends, Please let meknow, How we can find the dependancies of .dstream package & .rpm package before installation ? For AIX, We can use the inutoc . command to create the .toc file for the bff package, What about Solaris & Linux ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yb4779
0 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't install rpm package with --prefix in new path.Error: package is not relocatable

Hello, i have downloaded an rpm package "hadoop-0.20.205.0-1.amd64.rpm" in /usr/local/ directory. I'm trying to install the rpm package in a new path/location (/usr/local/hadoop-0.20.205), but i can't. I did: 1st try: Didn't work sudo rpm -i --prefix=/usr/local/hadoop-0.20.205... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem when trying to remove a package using rpm command - error: package is not installed

Hello, i have installed a package by using the command sudo rpm -i filepackage.rpm package filepackage is already installed when i try to remove it, i get an error saying "is not installed": sudo rpm -e filepackage.rpm error: package filepackage is not installed How can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_p
4 Replies

6. Web Development

Software to deploy website ?

Hi, I'm planning to deploy a website in my LAN. I already have apache installed in my PC, but I dont want to write codes for web page rather is there any software that allows me to design webpage, add contents, add users, upload docs etc.. rapidly. Free softwares are most welcome (both in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where is the best location to deploy an application on Tomcat over Linux?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out the best location to deploy an application on Tomcat over Linux server. The application structure is as follows: 1. WAR - the app itself. 2. conf - configuration files that are part of the product, not to be changed in deployment 3. local_conf - overriding... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshebs
0 Replies
DH_INSTALLSYSTEMD(1)						     Debhelper						      DH_INSTALLSYSTEMD(1)

NAME
dh_installsystemd - install systemd unit files SYNOPSIS
dh_installsystemd [debhelperoptions] [--restart-after-upgrade] [--no-stop-on-upgrade] [--no-enable] [--name=name] [unitfile...] DESCRIPTION
dh_installsystemd is a debhelper program that is responsible for enabling, disabling, starting, stopping and restarting systemd unit files. In the simple case, it finds all unit files installed by a package (e.g. bacula-fd.service) and enables them. It is not necessary that the machine actually runs systemd during package installation time, enabling happens on all machines in order to be able to switch from sysvinit to systemd and back. For only generating blocks for specific service files, you need to pass them as arguments, e.g. dh_installsystemd quota.service and dh_installsystemd --name=quotarpc quotarpc.service. FILES
debian/package.service, debian/package@.service If this exists, it is installed into lib/systemd/system/package.service (or lib/systemd/system/package@.service) in the package build directory. debian/package.tmpfile If this exists, it is installed into usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/package.conf in the package build directory. (The tmpfiles.d mechanism is currently only used by systemd.) debian/package.target, debian/package@.target If this exists, it is installed into lib/systemd/system/package.target (or lib/systemd/system/package@.target) in the package build directory. debian/package.socket, debian/package@.socket If this exists, it is installed into lib/systemd/system/package.socket (or lib/systemd/system/package@.socket) in the package build directory. debian/package.mount If this exists, it is installed into lib/systemd/system/package.mount in the package build directory. debian/package.path, debian/package@.path If this exists, it is installed into lib/systemd/system/package.path (or lib/systemd/system/package@.path) in the package build directory. debian/package.timer, debian/package@.timer If this exists, it is installed into lib/systemd/system/package.timer (or lib/systemd/system/package@.timer) in the package build directory. OPTIONS
--no-enable Disable the service(s) on purge, but do not enable them on install. Note that this option does not affect whether the services are started. Please remember to also use --no-start if the service should not be started. --name=name Install the service file as name.service instead of the default filename, which is the package.service. When this parameter is used, dh_installsystemd looks for and installs files named debian/package.name.service instead of the usual debian/package.service. Moreover, maintainer scripts are only generated for units that match the given name. --restart-after-upgrade Do not stop the unit file until after the package upgrade has been completed. This is the default behaviour in compat 10. In earlier compat levels the default was to stop the unit file in the prerm, and start it again in the postinst. This can be useful for daemons that should not have a possibly long downtime during upgrade. But you should make sure that the daemon will not get confused by the package being upgraded while it's running before using this option. --no-restart-after-upgrade Undo a previous --restart-after-upgrade (or the default of compat 10). If no other options are given, this will cause the service to be stopped in the prerm script and started again in the postinst script. -r, --no-stop-on-upgrade, --no-restart-on-upgrade Do not stop service on upgrade. --no-start Do not start the unit file after upgrades and after initial installation (the latter is only relevant for services without a corresponding init script). Note that this option does not affect whether the services are enabled. Please remember to also use --no-enable if the services should not be enabled. NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command (with the same arguments). Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) AUTHORS
pkg-systemd-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLSYSTEMD(1)