Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat rsh denied on some boxes but not others Post 302398073 by methyl on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 08:27:16 PM
Old 02-23-2010
Name resolution?
Try this on source and all destination computers.
Code:
nslookup ip_address

To make this easy. When "nslookup" is run on both source and destination computers the command should respond with a name ... and give exactly the same name as is quoted in /.rhosts.
Each IP address would normally appear only once in /etc/hosts and have only one name. (I know that there are exceptions).

A .rhosts should be permissions 600 and owned by "root" or it will be ignored.

Afterthought. Check that root's home directory is actually "/" on every server. Often is is "/root" .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

text boxes, radio buttons , check boxes in c++ on unix

Hi ! Please tell me how to get radio buttons, text boxes , check boxes , option buttons , pull down menus in C++ on Unix. I think it would be done using curses.h ..but that's all i know. TIA, Devyani. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: devy8
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh and permission denied

Dear All I am using rsh command to work with a remote tape drive. I am getting the message 'permission denied'. What should I do to get rid of this message. Best Regards Reza (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun boxes

Hi, I'm looking to get hold of a sun machine capable of running Solaris 9 to help me learn unix. I've been advised to look on e-bay, but am not sure of what to look for. The below seems quite good..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1486&item=5707567514&rd=1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: topcat8
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need a Script to rsh multiple hp boxes and shutdown

Hello I'm serving on a ship that has frequent power issues. Currently if we loose power we need to rush around to multiple UNIX machines and login to Sysadmin and power down each machine before we loose our ups. If sysadmin is asleep or not in the space we have some real problems. I would like to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackfam972
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh permission denied

Hi Gurus, Trying to search in the forum but cant seem to find anything related. I'm trying to run this script DWH_Housekeep.sh from the another server This is my command: rsh -l hulft 140.32.12.161 /usr/TRS/script/DWH_Housekeep.sh permission denied I get permission denied. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
7 Replies

6. Linux

how to install rsh in linux boxes

Hi All, Please help me how to install and configure rsh in Linux boxes and let me know where i get this software. Thanks in advance... Regards, Sridhar. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission denied while executing rsh

Hi All, I have two servers, say server1 and server2. I have put the entries of both servers in /.rhosts file of both servers. So, when I tried to run following from server1- rsh server2 "ls" Permission denied was printed on console. Can anyone help me out? Regards, akash mahakode (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
4 Replies

8. AIX

RSH intermittent error rshd: 0826-813 Permission is denied.

I am getting an error from one node in a set with RSH setup between them, node one will connect to node two every other time (consistently), however node to connects to node one every time without problem. Here is what I am seeing, makes no sense to me. Can anyone help? sbhcprdb01<root>: rsh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JodyTek
6 Replies

9. Solaris

new sun boxes

Hi, we plan to purchase new sun solaris server M4000 for oracle erp as we have old servers we want to upgrade it with new servers and would like to know query related to it. 1)what is Operating system version will comes with new servers and bit size either 32 bit or 64 bit?? 2)bit size... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maooah
2 Replies

10. Linux

rsh permission denied

hi I have configured rsh-server and running rsh command on my fedora 14 machine while executing it shows permission denied, below is the output of the same. # rsh localhost date Permission denied. # but same works in other system # rsh localhost date Fri Nov 23 05:31:12 PST... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
5 Replies
rhosts(5)							File Formats Manual							 rhosts(5)

Name
       rhosts - list of hosts that are logically equivalent to the local host

Syntax
       /$HOME/.rhosts

Description
       The  file  allows  a  user  who has an account on the local host to log in from a remote host without supplying a password.  It also allows
       remote copies to the local host.

If the file exists, it is located in a user's home directory.  It is not a mandatory file, however.

The format of a file entry is:
       hostname [username]
       The hostname is the name of the remote host from which the user wants to log into the local host.  The username is the user's login name on
       the remote host.  If you do not specify a user name, the user must have the same login name on both the remote and local hosts.

The  host  names  listed in the file may optionally contain the local BIND domain name.	For more information on BIND, see the Guide to the
       BIND/Hesiod Service.

If a user is logged in to and wants to log in to a host called without supplying a password, she must:

o    Have an account on

o    Create a file in her home directory on

o    Specify host1 ginger as an entry in the file.
	    If has the same login on both and she can simply specify host1 in her entry.  You can allow the superuser of a remote system to log in
	    to your system without password protection or perform a remote copy by having a file in the root ( / ) directory, but it is not recom-
	    mended.
	    In addition to having a file, the superuser needs a terminal entry in the file for each pseudoterminal configured in the system.   The
	    secure entry looks similar to the following:
	    ttyp3      none    network	       secure
	    See the reference page for more information.

Examples
       The  following is a sample file for the user It is located in her home directory on She also has accounts on the hosts called and Her login
       name on and is the same as on but her login on is

To enable to log in to from and without supplying a password, her on should contain the following entries:
       machine1
       system1	gordon
       host3

See Also
       hosts.equiv(5), ttys(5)
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

rhosts(5)