Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sum up a decimal column in a tab separated text file and error handling Post 302397983 by EAGL€ on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 01:36:09 PM
Old 02-23-2010
Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk '{a+=$4}END{printf "%012.2f\n",a}' FILE

and using "eval" assing it to a variable:

Code:
eval "echo $( /usr/xpg4/bin/awk '{a+=$4}END{printf "%012.2f\n",a}' FILE )"

Last edited by EAGL€; 02-23-2010 at 02:42 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first column in tab-delimited text-file

I have a large text-file with tab-delimited genetic data that looks like: KSC112 KSC234 0 0 1 1 A G C T I simply wan to delete the first column, but since the file has 600 000 columns, it is not possible with awk (seems to be limited at 32k columns). Does anyone have an idea how to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andmal
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse file into tab separated columns

Hello, I am trying to parse a file that resembles the last three groupings into something looking like the first two lines. I've fiddled with sed and awk a bit, but can't get anything to work properly. I need them separated by some delimiter. The file is some 23,000 lines of the stuff.... ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkozel
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of decimal numbers in column

Hi!!! I have n decimal numbers in column: 1.23 3.45 5.16 . . . How to do arithmetic sum of theese numbers??? Thanks!!!:D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdev457
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add a new column to a tab delimited text file

I want to add a new column to a tab delimited text file. It will be the first column and it will just be 1's. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to log transform a column in a tab-delimited text file?

How do I use awk to log transform the fifth column of a tab-delimited text file? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab-separated file to matrix conversion

hello all, i have an input file like that A A X0 A B X1 A C X2 ... A Z Xx B A X1 B B X3 .... Z A Xx Z B X4 and i want to have an output like that A B C D A X0 X1 X2 Xy B X1 X3 X4 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with a tab separated file

Hi, I have created a tab separated file from the following input file. ADDRESS1 CITY STATE POSTAL COUNTRY LON LAT 32 PRINZREGENTENSTRASSE ROSENHEIM BAYERN 83022 DEU 1212182 4785699 263 VIA DANTE ALIGHIERI BARI PUGLIA 70122 ITA 1686233 4112154 30 VIA MILANO ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace & with and in tab separated file?

Hi, I have a tab separated. I want to replace all the "&" in 8th column of the file with "and" .I am trying with awk -F, -vOFS=\\t '{$8=($8=="&")?"and":$8}1' test> test1.txt My file is abc def ghk hjk lkm hgb jkluy acvf & bhj hihuhu fgg me mine he her go went has has & had hgf hgy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a tab separated file with empty column

Hi all, I'm trying to read a tab separated file and apply some functions on each column. I have an issue with empty column. Exemple: $ #cat with the sed to allow you to see my tab $ cat foo.txt| sed 's/\t/;/g' a;1;x b;;yI wanted to something like that: while read col1 col2 col3 do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maturix
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert tab separated text to non-trivial xml. (pwsafe --> KeePassx)

I'd like to take the output of `pwsafe --exportdb > database.txt` and convert it to a KeePassX XML friendly format (feature request in pwsafe). I found flat file converter but the syntax is beyond me with this example. Solutions are welcomed. More details Here is the pwsafe --> KeePassX XML... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
2 Replies
basename(1)							   User Commands						       basename(1)

NAME
basename, dirname - deliver portions of path names SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/basename string [suffix] /usr/xpg4/bin/basename string [suffix] dirname string DESCRIPTION
The basename utility deletes any prefix ending in / and the suffix (if present in string) from string, and prints the result on the stan- dard output. It is normally used inside substitution marks (``) within shell procedures. /usr/bin The suffix is a pattern defined on the expr(1) manual page. /usr/xpg4/bin The suffix is a string with no special significance attached to any of the characters it contains. The dirname utility delivers all but the last level of the path name in string. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Setting environment variables The following example, invoked with the argument /home/sms/personal/mail sets the environment variable NAME to the file named mail and the environment variable MYMAILPATH to the string /home/sms/personal: example% NAME=`basename $HOME/personal/mail` example% MYMAILPATH=`dirname $HOME/personal/mail` Example 2 Compiling a file and moving the output This shell procedure, invoked with the argument /usr/src/bin/cat.c, compiles the named file and moves the output to cat in the current directory: example% cc $1 example% mv a.out `basename $1 .c` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of basename and dirname: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
expr(1), basename(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 18 Mar 1997 basename(1)