Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running at command - Parent script getting killed Post 302397960 by dennis.jacob on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 12:05:28 PM
Old 02-23-2010
Looks like you are "exec"ing the child script, which replaces the parent shell.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Status of child job after parent is killed

Hi, I have a requirement. Scenario: A parent job invokes a child job and gets killed. The child becomes orphan and gets attached to init. Child job is removed from the pid table as soon as it gets completed. Requirement is i need the status of the child job even after the parent job is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjul_thegreat
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who is the parent of a killed process ?

Suppose we have the following process tree: init-> ProcessA->processB->processC then I kill processB Who is the parent of the processC? init or the processA (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

full path of a file situated either in parent's dir. or parent's parent dir. so on...

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a parent wait on a child shells running in background?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertashish
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple child scripts running in backgroud, how to use grep on the parent?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertashish
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to export a variable from a child process running in background to the parent

Hi All, I have a script which calls a child script with a parameter to be run in the background . childscript.ksh $a & Can any one suggest me how do i export a variable from the child script to parent script? Note that the child script is in background If the child script is in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to use if someone killed the script in between?

Hi All, I want to know about what command i can use so that it should run the below mentioned line if somebody killed the process when i run my script... the command to run once my script is killed is \rm -rf $LOCKDIR Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Could not get script name running from ps -ef command ?

hi.. i have one perl script called sendsms.pl. After i execute the perl script as background process and run ps -ef, it did not display the filename. It was display as "/usr/bin/perl". How could execute the perl program and display the filename using ps command ? #./sendsms & #ps -ef |grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bh_hensem
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit from the parent script while the child is running?

hi, i want to call a child shell script from a parent shell script. the child will be running for 5 mins. normally when the child is running, parent will wait till the child completes. so in the above case parent will be paused for 5 mins. is there a way so that the parents does not wait for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies
create child(1m)														  create child(1m)

NAME
create child - Creates a child pointer at the master replica of the parent directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp create child child-name clearinghouse clearinghouse-name ARGUMENTS
The full name of the child pointer. The full name of a clearinghouse that contains a replica of the child directory. DESCRIPTION
The create child command creates a child pointer at the master replica of the parent directory. When CDS looks up a name in the namespace, it uses child pointers to locate directory replicas. Use the set cdscp preferred clearinghouse command before issuing this command to ensure that the request is directed to the master replica. Privilege Required You must have insert permission to the parent directory. NOTES
Use the create child command only to re-create a child pointer that is accidentally deleted. This command is designed only for trou- bleshooting. This command will fail if the associated directory does not exist. If the associated directory exists, this command will return success- fully. This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command creates the child pointer in the parent directory /.:/subsys. It uses the replica located at the /.:/subsys/NY_CH clearinghouse to fill in its replica set. cdscp> create child /.:/subsys clearinghouse /.:/subsys/NY_CH RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: delete child(1m), list child(1m), show child(1m) create child(1m)