Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix: extract a specific list of lines from a file Post 302397833 by ungalnanban on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 06:32:50 AM
Old 02-23-2010
MySQL

Using Sed: also we can achieve this requirement

Input file:

Code:
1 aaaaaa bbbcb cccccc
2 aaaaaa bbbbb cccccd
3 aaaaaa bbbab cccccc
4 aaaaaa bbbxb cccccc
5 aaaaaa bbbbb cwcccc
6 aaaaaa bbbbb cqcccc

Sample Code:
Code:
sed -n '/^[3|5]/p' input-file >output-file

Output file:
Code:
3 aaaaaa bbbab cccccc
5 aaaaaa bbbbb cwcccc

Last edited by ungalnanban; 02-23-2010 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: spell mistake correction

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract specific lines from file

hi, how would i extract a range of lines in a file by using the line number? ex: file contains: 1 title 2 i want 3 this part 4 to be taken out 5 from this file 6 and sent to 7 another file 8 not needed 9 end of file In this case, i want to copy line number 2 to 7 on a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract specific lines for graphing

Hello, I have a very large text file with about 2 million lines. Each of the lines starts like.. SNP_12345678 A 1212, 121, 343, ... SNP_12345678 B 4567, 567, 454, ... and so on. I want to extract specific SNPs and plot them by GNUplot or excel. The file is too large to be opened by text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genehunter
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract the lines between specific line number from a text file

Hi I want to extract certain text between two line numbers like 23234234324 and 54446655567567 How do I do this with a simple sed or awk command? Thank you. ---------- Post updated at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ---------- found it: sed -n '#1,#2p'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: return_user
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific lines from a file

Hi, I have a file which contains DDL statements- CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX, ALTER TABLE etc. I have to only pick CREATE TABLE statements from the file- Source : ---------------------------------------------- --DDL for table abc -------------------------------------------- CREATE TABLE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newb
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract lines with specific words with addition 2 lines before and after

Dear all, Greetings. I would like to ask for your help to extract lines with specific words in addition 2 lines before and after these lines by using awk or sed. For example, the input file is: 1 ak1 abc1.0 1 ak2 abc1.0 1 ak3 abc1.0 1 ak4 abc1.0 1 ak5 abc1.1 1 ak6 abc1.1 1 ak7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amanda Low
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract error records based on specific criteria from Unix file

Hi, I look for a awk one liner for below issue. input file ABC 1234 abc 12345 ABC 4567 678 XYZ xyz ght 678 ABC 787 yyuu ABC 789 7890 777 zxr hyip hyu mno uii 678 776 ABC ty7 888 All lines should be started with ABC as first field. If a record has another value for 1st... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheesh2011
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick UNIX command to display specific lines in the middle of a file from/to specific word

This could be a really dummy question. I have a log text file. What unix command to extract line from specific string to another specific string. Is it something similar to?: more +/"string" file_name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aku
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific lines based on another file

I have a folder containing text files. I need to extract specific lines from the files of this folder based on another file input.txt. How can I do this with awk/sed? file1 ARG 81.9 8 81.9 0 LEU 27.1 9 27.1 0 PHE .0 10 .0 0 ASP 59.8 11 59.8 0 ASN 27.6 12 27.6 0 ALA .0 13 .0 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanmathew84
5 Replies
TRACE-CMD-EXTRACT(1)													      TRACE-CMD-EXTRACT(1)

NAME
trace-cmd-extract - extract out the data from the Ftrace Linux tracer. SYNOPSIS
trace-cmd extract [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
The trace-cmd(1) extract is usually used after trace-cmd-start(1) and trace-cmd-stop(1). It can be used after the Ftrace tracer has been started manually through the Ftrace pseudo file system. The extract command creates a trace.dat file that can be used by trace-cmd-report(1) to read from. It reads the kernel internal ring buffer to produce the trace.dat file. OPTIONS
-p plugin Although extract does not start any traces, some of the plugins require just reading the output in ASCII format. These are the latency tracers, since the latency tracers have a separate internal buffer. The plugin option is therefore only necessary for the wakeup, wakeup-rt, irqsoff, preemptoff and preemptirqsoff plugins. With out this option, the extract command will extract from the internal Ftrace buffers. -O option If a latency tracer is being extracted, and the -p option is used, then there are some Ftrace options that can change the format. This will update those options before extracting. To see the list of options see trace-cmd-list. To enable an option, write its name, to disable the option append the characters no to it. For example: noprint-parent will disable the print-parent option that prints the parent function in printing a function event. -o outputfile By default, the extract command will create a trace.dat file. This option will change where the file is written to. SEE ALSO
trace-cmd(1), trace-cmd-record(1), trace-cmd-report(1), trace-cmd-start(1), trace-cmd-stop(1), trace-cmd-reset(1), trace-cmd-split(1), trace-cmd-list(1), trace-cmd-listen(1) AUTHOR
Written by Steven Rostedt, <rostedt@goodmis.org[1]> RESOURCES
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git COPYING
Copyright (C) 2010 Red Hat, Inc. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). NOTES
1. rostedt@goodmis.org mailto:rostedt@goodmis.org 06/11/2014 TRACE-CMD-EXTRACT(1)