Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File move and deletion in Unix Post 302397728 by Nila on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 02:48:12 AM
Old 02-23-2010
move operation.

mv command itself we can do that one. command is,
Code:
mv *date*

Another way,
Code:
find . -type f -iname '*20100111*.txt' -exec mv {} /target \;

Those ways are give some speed to move command.

Last edited by pludi; 02-23-2010 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deletion of File in Unix

Hi there guys. I'm quite new in using unix and just recently experienced missing file problem. Someone accidentally or likely intentionally deleted one specific folders that contains important file. Now my question is, can any other user aside from root can do such action? Please help. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhomel101
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

large file deletion

OS: Solaris 8 I deleted a large file (around 13 Gigs) from my system. But the output of df -k remains the same. The capacity % is constant. However one strange thing is happening- My available space is decreasing, my used space in increasing (The opposite should happen). This is happening... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prompting for file deletion?

I got help in another forum but now I need further help so I figured I'd ask here. I had to write a script to delete certain filenames of certain size. I got this far.. find . -size 110c -name "*testing*" -print | xargs -n 1 rm -i It finds the correct files, but the prompts to delete are all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

want file to regenerate after deletion

I looked into the sticky bit, but I think, if possible, that I would prefer to have the file recreate itself after deletion. The file is several directories deep, and from time to time the top level directory will be trashed. I need the file to recreate after this. Is it possible to perhaps... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File content deletion

Hi Everyone, There are certain files under a folder 'ABC' and the entries for these files are there in another file(fname) under a different folder 'XYZ'. I want to compare the folder contents(ABC) with the file(fname) contents and delete the mismatching / non-existing ones from the file,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTPS Script to move a file to Unix Folder

Dear Experts, I need to connect to a FTPS Server and move the files from FTPS folder "/SAP/Out" to Unix directory "/SAP/In". I need to run this script on Unix directory...Script should get the files from FTPS folder and place that in specified Unix Directory. Thanks In Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phani333
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch job in unix server to move the pdf file from unix to windows.

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to setup a batch job which runs everymonth and move the pdf files from unix server to windows servers. Could some body provide the inputs for this. and also please provide the inputs on how to map the network dirve in the unix like that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ger199901
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move a .zip file to a unix system in .rar format

Hi all, need help here in moving a .zip file into a suse system and want it to be in .rar format. How can i do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mena
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to move .csv file from UNIX path to window c: shared drive

Hi Guys, I need to move myfile.csv file from unix path(\oracle_home) to window c:\ shared drive h:\. Thanks in advance! Regards, Lakshman (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok117
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deletion of list of user based on a text file In LDAP UNIX server

Dear All, It would be really nice, if you could help me to write a script for deletion of list of user( more than 15000 users) stored in a file and sorted by email address( i need deletion of only a particular type of mail address). Is the any script to write and take the file as input and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chand
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)