Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting newbie: writing ksh shell problem Post 302397467 by quirkasaurus on Monday 22nd of February 2010 08:52:27 AM
Old 02-22-2010
echo $SHELL tells you which shell you're currently working in, as an interactive shell. It has no relationship to the first line in a script.

---------- Post updated at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:48 AM ----------

Code:
if ((x=y))
then
  print "You entered the same number twice."

should be:

Code:
if ((x==y))
then
  print "You entered the same number twice."
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help for newbie writing shell scripts

Hi, I have just started a Systems Programming course and am required to write a c shell script as part of it. I have little to no clue about unix. The spec states that the script can be run only once on each host by a user, but the script can be run on different hosts by the one user. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richgi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Script/FTP (NEWBIE)

I trying to write a ksh script (without the help of the Kermit libraries) which connects to a ftp server and checks if the file "KEI.done" exists. If the file exists it print "files is there" if it doesnt exist it prints "file is not there". (the print statements will later be replaced with code to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike509123
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie problem with ksh script

Hi all, I have a directory have all of the .stat and .dat file : they are is a pipe separate flat file. Example: log-20061202.stat contain 1st line and last line of log-20061202.dat with record count of that day. Example: Total record = 240 Tom|02-12-2006|1600 W.Santa... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
18 Replies

4. Programming

Basic questions on writing a Unix Service (newbie help!)

Hi there. I've got 12 years experience writing C++ on Windows, and 3 years C# on Windows. Now my boss wants me to write a C++ app to run on Unix as a multithreaded 'service' (i.e. a program that runs with no user intervention). Some quick questions for The Experts: * Whats the best C++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rutland Gizz
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find command from shell scipt (ksh) problem

Hi experts, I have a simple shell script as follows. #!/bin/ksh FIND_STRING="\( -name 'testfile*.Z' -o -name 'DUMMY_*' \) " find /tmp -type f $FIND_STRING -print When I run this with ksh -x testscript, I get the following output. + FIND_STRING=\( -name 'testfile*.Z' -o -name... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kodermanna
6 Replies

6. Web Development

Problems writing app that will communicate with gateway(newbie,last bit of project)

Hi all, Im writing an app that will contact a specified gateway and retrieve info onto our server and perform manipulations on it then return the result back to the gateway for further operations... But I'm a newbie and dont have much of an experience in network programming... Would like to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem writing a simple c shell script

#!/bin/csh echo hello world this is what i got in a text file called ss1. i type "chmod 755 ss1.txt" to make it executable. then when i type ss1 or ss1.txt it says "ss1 command not found" what am i doing wrong? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with writing into a file through shell script

Hi all, I have a shell script which I use to login to the server from the client and then from the server I run a bunch of other scripts to complete my task. I am having problems with the script below- #!/bin/bash while read line do connections=`echo $line | cut -d " " -f 1` period=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joydeep4u
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting newbie problem

I am trying to create a shell script similar to ls, but which only lists directories. I have the first half working (no argument version), but trying to make it accept an argument, I am failing. My logic is sound I think, but I'm missing something on the syntax, I'm guessing in the bolded line? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tibor63
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with printf in UNIX KSH shell

Hi ALL, I am using SunOS 5.9 and KSH(bin/ksh) The problem am facing is error message diaplyed on screen printf: 12099415.79 not completely converted printf: + expected numeric value printf: 11898578.29 not completely converted When i try printing with The output is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
6 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD