Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming write() issue during a low level hdd access Post 302397218 by Corona688 on Sunday 21st of February 2010 12:54:57 PM
Old 02-21-2010
You're not doing low-level I/O here, your write is probably going straight into cache. Try opening with O_DIRECT.

Please edit your post to put code in code tags like the thread posting page suggests. [ code ] stuff [ /code ] without the spaces in the tags. Preferably before a mod needs to do so for you. Smilie

Surely you could write custom patterns with either dd or dd_rescue though! dd_rescue in particular shows lots of progress info. Just feed them custom patterns on stdin and you'll have your custom patterns.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Low level format?

I want to do a low level format like in windows (C:\format c:) but I don't know how it works in unix or linux.. Can somebody help me ? thnx :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: day
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Access to a second HDD

Hello How to access to a second hard disk on a HP-UX system? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ouniss
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Best reference for understanding low level info on nic cards drivers and functionality

Hi, What is the best reference that gives in detail on nic cards configuration , assigning multiple ip addresses to a single interface, netlink library etc and all basic stuff at this level..? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
2 Replies

4. AIX

High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage

Hello All I have a system running AIX 61 shared uncapped partition (with 11 physical processors, 24 Virtual 72GB of Memory) . The output from NMON, vmstat show a high run queue (60+) for continous periods of time intervals, but NO paging, relatively low I/o (6000) , CPU % is 40, Low network.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: IL-Malti
9 Replies

5. Programming

System calls and C language low-level qualities???

Hi friends, I hope everyone is fine and doing well. I queried in my previous thread about the low-level qualities of C/C++ languages.I really thank you people for explaining, it was really helpful. One more ambiquity that I have in my mind is regarding the unix system calls like open, creat,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabam
1 Replies

6. Programming

Why is C/C++ considered low-level languages???

Hi friends, I hope everyone is doing well and fine. I have always been hearing that C/C++ are relatively low-level as compared to Java/C# etc. Could you please tell me some low-level qualities of C/C++? And I think disk deframenters are written in C/C++, please correct me if I am wrong. And please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

7. Programming

Low level X11 programming

How to use X11 without Xlib not XCB? How draw window directly on low level? I must use anyway window manager like Motif? I have ridden that X11 has server-client architecture, client send via TCP/IP to port 6000 request for primitives and get replies. Where is detailed description of it? In X11... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndrzejB
0 Replies
FBSETROOT(1)							  Fluxbox Manual						      FBSETROOT(1)

NAME
fbsetroot - a simple background utility used by the fluxbox(1) window manager, originally written for and by the original blackbox(1) window manager. SYNOPSIS
fbsetroot [-display display] -solid color fbsetroot [-display display] -mod x y -fg color -bg color fbsetroot [-display display] -gradient texture -from color -to color fbsetroot -help DESCRIPTION
fbsetroot(1) is a utility that can control the appearance of the root window in three ways: Either give it a solid color, or write a two color modula pattern to it, or render a gradient texture, based on two different colors. fbsetroot resembles xsetroot(1) in this functionality but it supports multiple-screen displays, and gradient textures the same way as blackbox or fluxbox does. It doesn't handle cursors etc. fbsetroot was originally part of the Blackbox package and was carried over with the code that became Fluxbox. It was called bsetroot back in those days. If any errors are encountered, fbsetroot will use either gxmessage(1) or xmessage(1) to inform the user of errors. OPTIONS
fbsetroot operates in three ways, you must choose one of the first 3 options: -solid color Sets the root window to specified color. -mod x y Creates a modula pattern. You must specify -bg and -fg colors. -gradient texturestring Renders the specified texture string to the root window. texturestring may be one of: Horizontal / Vertical / Diagonal / Crossdiagonal / Pipecross / Elliptic / Rectangle / Pyramid Select one of these texture types, they only apply when -gradient is specified. You must also specify both a -from and a -to color. -display display Tells fbsetroot to connect to the specified display. -bg, -background color Background color. Needed for -mod patterns. -fg, -foreground color Foreground color. Needed for -mod patterns. -from color Start color for rendering textures. Needed for -gradient patterns. -to color Ending color for rendering textures. Needed for -gradient patterns. -help Prints version info and short help text. AUTHORS
This manpage was modified by Curt "Asenchi" Micol <asenchi at asenchi.com> for the Fluxbox window manager. Further updates for fluxbox-1.1.2 and conversion to asciidoc format by Jim Ramsay <i.am at jimramsay.com> SEE ALSO
fluxbox(1) fbsetbg(1) xsetroot(1) xmessage(1) gxmessage(1) AUTHOR
Jim Ramsay <i.am@jimramsay.com> Author. fbsetroot.txt 28 October 2011 FBSETROOT(1)