Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need best grep option or alternative Post 302397138 by alekkz on Sunday 21st of February 2010 03:58:35 AM
Old 02-21-2010
thank you!
this do the job and is fast! just a final hint
how to add numbers to regexp ?
^[1-8a-z]{1,8}$ ?
I tried but it not work that way

---------- Post updated at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:42 AM ----------

ok i handle it.. [[:alnum:]] do the job
thanks for both of you!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep using -f option

Dear all I have a file with more than one patters to search.Such as pattern.txt. I have to grep these patterns into a data file such as data.txt.how to do this ,i tried /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -f <pattern_file> <data_file> Its not working. why or how to search pattern file ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep alternative to handle large numbers of files

I am looking for a file with 'MCR0000000716214' in it. I tried the following command: grep MCR0000000716214 * The problem is that the folder I am searching in has over 87000 files and I am getting the following: bash: /bin/grep: Arg list too long Is there any command I can use that can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

--alternative option in getopt

Hi, i need to use --alternative option of getopt for ex . getopt -o a:c: --alternative pw: -- "$@" if i use like this, i am not getting any output.Please help me how to correct this.i need to have a combination of long and short options.But long options have to begin with - and not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative to grep

How to find a particular line in a file without using grep? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Grep -A -B -C option

Hi, Does anyone know why -A/B/C is not working with grep on my solaris box? Thanks, Prince (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternative to the grep trick

Hi, We used to use the below commands often. ps -ef|grep bc ps -ef|grep abc|grep -v grep Both fairly returns the same result. For example, the process name is dynamic and we are having the process name in a variable, how we can apply the above trick. For example "a" is the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please suggest alternative to grep

Hi Experts, PFB my requirement: I have a file (named file1) containing numbers like: 372846078543002 372846078543003 372846078543004 372846078543005 372846078543006 I have another file (nemed file2)where lines containing these numbers(present in file1) are present; Eg: lppza087; <PERFB >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: niladri29
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative command to grep -w option

Hi All, We have few scripts where we are using grep -w option to do exact matching of the pattern. This works fine on most of our servers. But I have encounter a very old HP-UX System(HP-UX B.11.00) where grep -w option is not available. This is causing my scripts to fail. I need to change... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep, or alternative

say I have a big list of something like: sdg2000 weghre10 fewg53 gwg99 jwegwejjwej43 afg10293 I want to remove the numbers of any line that has letters + 1 to 4 numbers output: sdg weghre fewg gwg jwegwejjwej afg10293 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siwon
7 Replies
LOOK(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LOOK(1)

NAME
look -- display lines beginning with a given string SYNOPSIS
look [-dfa] [-t termchar] string [file] DESCRIPTION
The look utility displays any lines in file which contain string as a prefix. As look performs a binary search, the lines in file must be sorted (where sort(1) got the same options -d and/or -f that look is invoked with). If file is not specified, the file /usr/share/dict/words is used, only alphanumeric characters are compared and the case of alphabetic char- acters is ignored. Options: -d Dictionary character set and order, i.e. only alphanumeric characters are compared. (On by default if no file specified). -f Ignore the case of alphabetic characters. (On by default if no file specified). -a Use the alternate dictionary /usr/share/dict/web2 -t Specify a string termination character, i.e. only the characters in string up to and including the first occurrence of termchar are compared. The look utility exits 0 if one or more lines were found and displayed, 1 if no lines were found, and >1 if an error occurred. FILES
/usr/share/dict/words the dictionary /usr/share/dict/web2 the alternate dictionary SEE ALSO
grep(1), sort(1) COMPATIBILITY
The original manual page stated that tabs and blank characters participated in comparisons when the -d option was specified. This was incor- rect and the current man page matches the historic implementation. HISTORY
Look appeared in Version 7 AT&T Unix. AVAILABILITY
The look command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. BSD
June 14, 1993 BSD