Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rewriting line with tabs creating problem Post 302396670 by Scott on Friday 19th of February 2010 04:19:35 AM
Old 02-19-2010
Hi.

How do you get part1 and part2?

From a variable (show the declaration), or directly from the file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append tabs at the end of each line in NAWK -- varying fields

Hi, I need some help in knowing how I can append tabs at the end of each line... The data looks something like this: field1, field2, field3, field4 1 2 3 4 5 I have values in field1 and field 2 in the first row and I would like to append tab on field3 and field4 for the first row..and in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh: Inserting tabs and moving text to 1 line

I trying to extract certain text from a csv file and then placing it into another csv file, but having problems getting the data to placed in one line with tab separated fields. Basically would like to have text sent to interfaces.csv in one line seperated by tabs. As it currently places files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 00000008
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print pattern line +2 without tabs or brackets

This works, but its messy. Any suggestions for a elegant solution? :- me@myserver $ head zoneAttachOutfile These packages installed on the source system are inconsistent with this system: SUNWsmbac: version mismatch (11.9.0,REV=2002.03.02.00.35) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repudi8or
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with White spaces and tabs

Hi All, I am facing issues converting white spaces and tabs together in a file I am reading. Here is the command I am trying: tr -s ' '@ | sort -t@ +1n filename I guess the problem is that it is not converting the tabs to another delimiter. Also, I am supposed to accomplish this only using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh_kk
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep (reWriting it in another way.)

Hello everyone!! Nice do be apart of your forum. I am not very good at unix and thats why i need your help i have this project where i have to simulate a grep command without using grep thought. I have to simulate grep <parameters> <file> grep <parameters> <file> grep <parameters> <file>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshin88
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with tabs expansion

I have to create some fixed width files using UNIX. The data source is an Oracle SQL query. If I use straight SQL and spool to a file everything comes out as expected. Example Desired result (. indicate blank space): V278814831..................................1743049591.10N... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dortoh
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vimrc creating tabs instead of spaces

I'm having trouble getting my vimrc to work the way I want it. For some reason after I hit enter it is creating tabs instead of spaces like I would expect. Here is an example of what I am talking about. $ = newline, ^I = tab. On the line of struct EDGETAG* q; I hit enter and it created a tab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove a line feed depending on number of tabs in a line

Hi! I have been struggling with a large file that has stray end of line characters. I am working on a Mac (Lion). I mention this only because I have been mucking around with fixing my problem using sed, and I have learned far more than I wanted to know about Unix and Mac eol characters. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user999991
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab line regardless of if it ends with tabs or spaces

so i have a data file that has various lines which may or may not end with spaces or tabs. data.file: , \t \t {sample} <spaces> <spaaces> several more spaces.... {"resemble"}, <nospaces> Command i'm using: sed -n 8p data.file | egrep "\],$|\],\ $" or egrep "\],$|\],\ $"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] read 'line' issue with leading tabs and virtual line breaks

Heyas I'm trying to read/display a file its content and put borders around it (tui-cat / tui-cat -t(ypwriter). The typewriter-part is a 'bonus' but still has its own flaws, but thats for later. So in some way, i'm trying to rewrite cat using bash and other commands. But sadly it fails on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies
ROFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   ROFF(1)

NAME
roff - format text SYNOPSIS
roff [ +n ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -h ] file ... nroff -mr [ option ] ... file ... troff -mr [ option ] ... file ... DESCRIPTION
Roff formats text according to control lines embedded in the text in the given files. Encountering a nonexistent file terminates printing. Incoming inter-terminal messages are turned off during printing. The optional flag arguments mean: +n Start printing at the first page with number n. -n Stop printing at the first page numbered higher than n. -s Stop before each page (including the first) to allow paper manipulation; resume on receipt of an interrupt signal. -h Insert tabs in the output stream to replace spaces whenever appropriate. Input consists of intermixed text lines, which contain information to be formatted, and request lines, which contain instructions about how to format it. Request lines begin with a distinguished control character, normally a period. Output lines may be filled as nearly as possible with words without regard to input lineation. Line breaks may be caused at specified places by certain commands, or by the appearance of an empty input line or an input line beginning with a space. The capabilities of roff are specified in the attached Request Summary. Numerical values are denoted there by n or +n, titles by t, and single characters by c. Numbers denoted +n may be signed + or -, in which case they signify relative changes to a quantity, otherwise they signify an absolute resetting. Missing n fields are ordinarily taken to be 1, missing t fields to be empty, and c fields to shut off the appropriate special interpretation. Running titles usually appear at top and bottom of every page. They are set by requests like .he 'part1'part2'part3' Part1 is left justified, part2 is centered, and part3 is right justified on the page. Any % sign in a title is replaced by the current page number. Any nonblank may serve as a quote. ASCII tab characters are replaced in the input by a replacement character, normally a space, according to the column settings given by a .ta command. (See .tr for how to convert this character on output.) Automatic hyphenation of filled output is done under control of .hy. When a word contains a designated hyphenation character, that charac- ter disappears from the output and hyphens can be introduced into the word at the marked places only. The -mr option of nroff or troff(1) simulates roff to the greatest extent possible. FILES
/usr/lib/suftab suffix hyphenation tables /tmp/rtm? temporary BUGS
Roff is the simplest of the text formatting programs, and is utterly frozen. REQUEST SUMMARY Request Break Initial Meaning the current line is stopped. without filling. to be invoked by request `.xx' (definition ends on line beginning `..'). and is not done, if n=0. ROFF(1)