Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Old Style Computing and Networking Post 302396561 by Action on Thursday 18th of February 2010 07:26:24 PM
Old 02-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
"network" may be the wrong term to use for UUCP. Smilie From what I can glean from wikipedia it seems to be batch-based, and generally run over telephone dialup. One system dials into another, transmits what it has to send, receives what the other system has for it, then disconnects until its time for the next batch. The receiving machine may call another machine and forward things later. It reminds me of the old fidonet -- and there were systems to bridge the two, so they can't be too far different.

It's certainly no alternative to internet access. It's more like a huge, slow WAN where you can queue up things to send to other nodes and they queue up things to send to you. Things can take hours to days to propagate and can only get to other known nodes.
Well, i'll just tell about my personal experience. I use uucp in my litle LAN (TCP/IP-based, of course), and when i copy something from source machine to target machine using uucp, short after that it is done.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

oops! Style Manager

Solaris 2.6, using CDE: agh. I accidentally set an ugly palette as my Home Session. The problem is, when I change the palette back to Default, I am informed that my change will be apparent in my next session. But when I log out and in, it's still the Ugly Palette. Doesn't matter if I set the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristy
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Style not working right

:( The style "Craig's InfoPop" doesn't wrap lines on Netscape 4.79. It seems to work okay on MSIE. When I get home, I'll check on FBSD/Mozilla 1.0. Back to Silk Road ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: criglerj
3 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

New Style

Hi, I pop in here every so oftern and was suprised to see the changes in colour. I think the new style/colour is great :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ralf
1 Replies

4. AIX

Dashboard style tool(s)?

I was wondering if anyone knows of any dashboard style tools for AIX. One of my many responsibilities is to report the status of the boxes and whether certain things are "up" and running each and every day. Nonetheless, this is a MAJOR pain as I have to logon to each box, pull up URLs through my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
3 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Event Cloud Computing - IBM Turning Data Centers Into ?Computing Cloud?

Tim Bass Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:55:07 +0000 *I predict we may experience less*debates*on the use of the term “event cloud”*related to*CEP in the future, now that both IBM and Google* have made announcements about “cloud computing” and “computing cloud”, IBM Turning Data Centers Into ‘Computing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

6. Programming

Coding Style checking

Is there any opensource tool which can check the coding style use in C/C++ program. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zinat
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Programming guidelines and style

Hello all, I would like to know if there is a generally accepted unix shell programming Guideline? Do you have any idea where to find this? There are a lot of programming Guidelines to find over Google, but is there one who is generally accepted? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
3 Replies
SEND-UUCP(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SEND-UUCP(8)

NAME
send-uucp, send-nntp, send-ihave - send Usenet articles to remote site SYNOPSIS
{ send-nntp | send-uucp | send-ihave } [ -d ] sitename:hostname | sitename [ sitename:hostname | sitename .. ] DESCRIPTION
The send-* utilities are scripts that process the batch files written by innd(8) to send Usenet articles to a remote NNTP or UUCP site. The sites to be fed may be specified by giving sitename hostname pairs on the command line. The sitename is the label the site has in the newsfeeds file, the hostname is the real hostname of the remote site, a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) in the case of an NNTP host, or the UUCP name in the case of a UUCP host. Normally, the sitename and the hostname are the same, and as such don't have to be specified as sitename:hostname pairs but just as a sitename. send-uucp compresses batches of news and sends the to the remote site with uux. send-nntp Starts an innxmit to send the articles to the remote site. send-ihave encapsulates the articles in an ihave control message and uses inews to send the articles to a to.sitename pseudo-group. Using send-ihave is discouraged, nobody uses it anymore and even the author of this manpage is unsure as to how it actually works or used to work. send-* expect that the batchfile for a site is named <pathoutgoing in inn.conf>/sitename. To prevent batchfile corruption, shlock(1) is used to ``lock'' these files. OPTIONS
-d The ``-d'' flag causes nntpsend to send output to stdout rather than the log file <pathlog in inn.conf>/<program-name>.log. NOTES
You should probably not use send-nntp, but innfeed, or if that is not possible, nntpsend. The usual flags in the newsfeed file to write a batch file suitable for processing by send-uucp are Tf,Wfb . The usual flags for a batch file for send-nntp are Tf,Wfm SEE ALSO
newsfeeds(5), nntpsend(8) SEND-UUCP(8)