Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is the code for compressing files using pkzip ? Post 302395903 by mig23 on Wednesday 17th of February 2010 10:26:28 AM
Old 02-17-2010
I will try and reply ......

---------- Post updated at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:26 PM ----------

zaxxon ,
this is the question :

Code:
 7.	Create a script which compresses all files individually in a given directory and all its subdirectories using gzip. This is handy for saving space on a system where files containing documentation for programs installed on the system can be compressed. Try compressing all html, txt and pdf files in /usr/share/doc and its subdirectories using this script.

I request you to change topic heading from "pkzip" to "gzip"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uncompress pkzip files

Are there any unix/linux tools that can uncompress the "pkzip" files from DOS env. Thanks . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wing m. Cheng
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compressing files

I have never used this command before. I need to use the "compress" command to compress all files located in the subdirectories under the following directories: /home/ftp/inbound/Fordin Please advise, I appreciate your help. Thanks, Syed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh9492
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressing two files in a script

Hi, i have written a script in unix which produces two files(.csv file) at the end. Now i want to add these to files in a zip file and send the zip file across the network by FTP. Problem is that i dunno how to make a single zip file containing the two files that have been created by the script.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimish
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

uncompress of PKZIP files on HPUX

Hi All, is there any command to unzip the compressed files compressed using PKZIP on HP-UX. We dont have unzip. and gunzip or compress commands are not working. is there any other to do this? Thank you very much for the help. Regards, Srinivas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas_paluku
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compressing files on NAS mount

Hello, I am having difficulty compressing the files using compress or GZIP utility on NAS share NFS mounted on my linux server. Any one have idea on how to do this ? I get the followign error but the trying to compress the files STRP2> compress STR_OUTBOUND_CDM_LOG_LOB.PRT2008_26.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamathg
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressing code onto one line

hi, i am trying to rewrite some of my code onto one line. but it's not working. what's happening is that the program exits and doesn't execute any of the code that follows. did i make a mistake? i'm guesssing that there is something wrong with my final, "&& exit". or is possible... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankimo
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compressing of log files

Hello All My first post in the forum. :) I've this huge log files of size 20GB-30 GB in my unix server. I want to analyse the log file for some error messages. But because of the enormity of the size of these files i'm not able to grep/search the pattern in the file . Also, tried to gzip the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgbhat
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing files

I need help to do a script that will compress a file that's bigger than 5000 octets and won't overwrite the previous compress file. lets say I have mylogfile.log and I would compress it I would become mylogfile. 1. log and if I would compress again mylogfile.log it would be mylogfile. 2.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Froob
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting latest files and compressing from a textfile

I'm doing a cleanup script for a directory using KSH. I'm keeping the file name prefixes in a text file. In a KSH, I want to read the prefix from the file, and match the pattern of the file and keep and compress(.Z) the latest 4 versions of the matched files in the directory. And I want to delete... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manchimahesh
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Logrotate and Compressing only yesterdays files

Hello, I have a syslog server at home and am currently experiencing an issue where my logs will rotate and compress however it will rotate and compress yesterdays file and the newly created log file for the current day. When it does this however it will also create another new file for today... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyUserName7000
9 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
       dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories

SYNOPSIS
       dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...]

DESCRIPTION
       dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any
       symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files.

By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info,
       usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files,
       and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath
       usr/share/fonts/X11/

FILES
       debian/package.compress
	   These files are deprecated.

If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell
	   script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a
	   much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to.

OPTIONS
       -Xitem, --exclude=item
	   Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from
	   compression.  You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude.

-A, --all
	   Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on.

file ...
	   Add these files to the list of files to compress.

CONFORMS TO
       Debian policy, version 3.0

SEE ALSO
       debhelper(7)

This program is a part of debhelper.

AUTHOR
       Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>

11.1.6ubuntu2							    2018-05-10							    DH_COMPRESS(1)