Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Blank spaces missing in the file Post 302395372 by danmero on Monday 15th of February 2010 10:29:49 PM
Old 02-15-2010
My solution work for bash , see Bash under AIX 5.3 - The UNIX and Linux Forums

---------- Post updated at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:29 PM ----------

Please use [code] tags when you post code or data sample.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces from a file?

Guys, I need some help... how can I remove the blank spaces between the lines below? (between the date and the hour fields) 21/05/07 00:05:00 99 21/05/07 00:10:01 99 21/05/07 00:15:00 99 21/05/07 00:20:00 99 21/05/07 00:25:00 99 I want to make the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove blank spaces of a file with awk??

hello how to remove blank spaces of a file with awk?? i´m trying awk '{gsub(" ","",$0); print $0;}' filename.txt but it answers syntax error near line first of all i did this for download from netbackup database jobs privilege bpdbjobs -report -M sv88 -gdm -header |cut -c-1024... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank spaces in a text file...

Hi, I have this problem that there are blank spaces in my text file... i want to remove them line 1 line 2 line 3 I want to remove the space between line 2 and line 3... I tried sed... it work but it prints the whole text file at the command prompt which i dont want.... sde i tried was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

5. AIX

missing blank spaces while cutting the file to individual files

$ indicates blank space file1.txt: 001_AHaris$$$$$020$$$$$$$$$ 001_ATony$$$$$$030$$$$$$$$$ 002_AChris$$$$$090$$$$$$$$$ 002_ASmit$$$$$$060$$$$$$$$$ 003_AJhon$$$$$$001$$$$$$$$$ $ indicates blank space code while read "LINE"; do echo "$LINE" | cut -c6- >> $(echo "$LINE" | cut... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove blank spaces in file

hi i have a file which store some data.the contents of my file is data1:data2 data3:data4 i have a script which read this file correct="$(cat /root/sh | cut -d: -f1)" i used this syntax..please help me which syntax is used to remove blank spaces..then how to read this file.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removal of blank spaces in a file

Hello.. I have a text file. I want to remove all the blank spaces(except tab) from the file.. I tried using sed command as shown below sed 's/ //g' file1 But the problem with the above command is that it also eliminates 'tab' which is between the columns.. For example if the contents... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all blank spaces in a file

I have a file which contains data such as that shown below. How do i remove all the blcnak spaces, before, during and at the end of each line in one command? 300015, 58.0823212, 230.424728 300016, 58.2276459, 229.141602 300017, 58.7590027, 226.960846 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect blank spaces in a CSV file

I'm monitoring a WLAN network to keep track of new SSIDs popping up. The SSIDs are stored along with the AP MAC address and a few other parameters in a CSV file. A typical line could look like this: 18:70:9f:e3:80:aa 10:11:15 MyNetwork 2437 Now, the problem is that some networks use SSIDs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zooma
4 Replies
SDIFF(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SDIFF(1)

NAME
sdiff -- side-by-side diff SYNOPSIS
sdiff [-abdilstW] [-I regexp] [-o outfile] [-w width] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
sdiff displays two files side by side, with any differences between the two highlighted as follows: new lines are marked with '>'; deleted lines are marked with '<'; and changed lines are marked with '|'. sdiff can also be used to interactively merge two files, prompting at each set of differences. See the -o option for an explanation. The options are: -l Only print the left column for identical lines. -o outfile Interactively merge file1 and file2 into outfile. In this mode, the user is prompted for each set of differences. See EDITOR and VISUAL, below, for details of which editor, if any, is invoked. The commands are as follows: l Choose left set of diffs. r Choose right set of diffs. s Silent mode - identical lines are not printed. v Verbose mode - identical lines are printed. e Start editing an empty file, which will be merged into outfile upon exiting the editor. e l Start editing file with left set of diffs. e r Start editing file with right set of diffs. e b Start editing file with both sets of diffs. q Quit sdiff. -s Skip identical lines. -w width Print a maximum of width characters on each line. The default is 130 characters. Options passed to diff(1) are: -a Treat file1 and file2 as text files. -b Ignore trailing blank spaces. -d Minimize diff size. -I regexp Ignore line changes matching regexp. All lines in the change must match regexp for the change to be ignored. -i Do a case-insensitive comparison. -t Expand tabs to spaces. -W Ignore all spaces (the -w flag is passed to diff(1)). ENVIRONMENT
EDITOR, VISUAL Specifies an editor to use with the -o option. If both EDITOR and VISUAL are set, VISUAL takes precedence. If neither EDITOR nor VISUAL are set, the default is vi(1). TMPDIR Specifies a directory for temporary files to be created. The default is /tmp. SEE ALSO
diff(1), diff3(1), vi(1), re_format(7) AUTHORS
sdiff was written from scratch for the public domain by Ray Lai <ray@cyth.net>. CAVEATS
Although undocumented, sdiff supports all options supported by GNU sdiff. Some options require GNU diff. Tabs are treated as anywhere from one to eight characters wide, depending on the current column. Terminals that treat tabs as eight charac- ters wide will look best. BUGS
sdiff may not work with binary data. BSD
February 21, 2007 BSD