Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Blank spaces missing in the file Post 302395372 by danmero on Monday 15th of February 2010 10:29:49 PM
Old 02-15-2010
My solution work for bash , see Bash under AIX 5.3 - The UNIX and Linux Forums

---------- Post updated at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:29 PM ----------

Please use [code] tags when you post code or data sample.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces from a file?

Guys, I need some help... how can I remove the blank spaces between the lines below? (between the date and the hour fields) 21/05/07 00:05:00 99 21/05/07 00:10:01 99 21/05/07 00:15:00 99 21/05/07 00:20:00 99 21/05/07 00:25:00 99 I want to make the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove blank spaces of a file with awk??

hello how to remove blank spaces of a file with awk?? i´m trying awk '{gsub(" ","",$0); print $0;}' filename.txt but it answers syntax error near line first of all i did this for download from netbackup database jobs privilege bpdbjobs -report -M sv88 -gdm -header |cut -c-1024... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank spaces in a text file...

Hi, I have this problem that there are blank spaces in my text file... i want to remove them line 1 line 2 line 3 I want to remove the space between line 2 and line 3... I tried sed... it work but it prints the whole text file at the command prompt which i dont want.... sde i tried was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

5. AIX

missing blank spaces while cutting the file to individual files

$ indicates blank space file1.txt: 001_AHaris$$$$$020$$$$$$$$$ 001_ATony$$$$$$030$$$$$$$$$ 002_AChris$$$$$090$$$$$$$$$ 002_ASmit$$$$$$060$$$$$$$$$ 003_AJhon$$$$$$001$$$$$$$$$ $ indicates blank space code while read "LINE"; do echo "$LINE" | cut -c6- >> $(echo "$LINE" | cut... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove blank spaces in file

hi i have a file which store some data.the contents of my file is data1:data2 data3:data4 i have a script which read this file correct="$(cat /root/sh | cut -d: -f1)" i used this syntax..please help me which syntax is used to remove blank spaces..then how to read this file.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removal of blank spaces in a file

Hello.. I have a text file. I want to remove all the blank spaces(except tab) from the file.. I tried using sed command as shown below sed 's/ //g' file1 But the problem with the above command is that it also eliminates 'tab' which is between the columns.. For example if the contents... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all blank spaces in a file

I have a file which contains data such as that shown below. How do i remove all the blcnak spaces, before, during and at the end of each line in one command? 300015, 58.0823212, 230.424728 300016, 58.2276459, 229.141602 300017, 58.7590027, 226.960846 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect blank spaces in a CSV file

I'm monitoring a WLAN network to keep track of new SSIDs popping up. The SSIDs are stored along with the AP MAC address and a few other parameters in a CSV file. A typical line could look like this: 18:70:9f:e3:80:aa 10:11:15 MyNetwork 2437 Now, the problem is that some networks use SSIDs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zooma
4 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - Compares two files and displays the differences in a side-by-side format SYNOPSIS
sdiff [-l | -s] [-w number] [-o output_file] file1 file2 The sdiff command reads file1 and file2, uses diff to compare them, and writes the results to standard output in a side-by-side format. OPTIONS
Displays only the left side when lines are identical. Creates a third file, output_file, by a controlled interactive line-by-line merging of file1 and file2. The following subcommands govern the creation of this file: Adds the left side to output_file. Adds the right side to output_file. Stops displaying identical lines. Begins displaying identical lines. Enters ed with the left side, the right side, both sides, or an empty file, respectively. Each time you exit from ed, sdiff writes the resulting edited file to the end of output_file. If you fail to save the changes before exiting, sdiff writes the initial input to output_file. Exits the interactive session. Suppresses display of identical lines. Sets the width of the output line to number (130 characters by default). DESCRIPTION
The sdiff command displays each line of the two files with a series of spaces between them if the lines are identical, a < (left angle bracket) in the field of spaces if the line only exists in file1, a > (right angle bracket) if the line only exists in file2, and a | (ver- tical bar) for lines that are different. When you specify the -o option, sdiff produces a third file by merging file1 and file2 according to your instructions. Note that the sdiff command invokes the diff -b command to compare two input files. The -b option causes the diff command to ignore trail- ing spaces, tab characters, and consider other strings of spaces as equal. EXAMPLES
To print a comparison of two files, enter: sdiff chap1.bak chap1 This displays a side-by-side listing that compares each line of chap1.bak and chap1. To display only the lines that differ, enter: sdiff -s -w 80 chap1.bak chap1 This displays the differences at the tty. The -w 80 sets page width to 80 columns. The -s option tells sdiff not to display lines that are identical in both files. To selectively combine parts of two files, enter: sdiff -s -w 80 -o chap1.combo chap1.bak chap1 This combines chap1.bak and chap1 into a new file called chap1.combo. For each group of differing lines, sdiff asks you which group to keep or whether you want to edit them using ed. SEE ALSO
Commands: diff(1), ed(1) sdiff(1)