Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Blank spaces missing in the file Post 302395365 by techmoris on Monday 15th of February 2010 09:45:59 PM
Old 02-15-2010
didn't worked

while read line;do echo "${line#*_}" >> ${line}.txt;done < file.txt

still not getting the blank spaces...after the end of the line in the file..

Last edited by techmoris; 02-15-2010 at 11:25 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces from a file?

Guys, I need some help... how can I remove the blank spaces between the lines below? (between the date and the hour fields) 21/05/07 00:05:00 99 21/05/07 00:10:01 99 21/05/07 00:15:00 99 21/05/07 00:20:00 99 21/05/07 00:25:00 99 I want to make the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove blank spaces of a file with awk??

hello how to remove blank spaces of a file with awk?? i´m trying awk '{gsub(" ","",$0); print $0;}' filename.txt but it answers syntax error near line first of all i did this for download from netbackup database jobs privilege bpdbjobs -report -M sv88 -gdm -header |cut -c-1024... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank spaces in a text file...

Hi, I have this problem that there are blank spaces in my text file... i want to remove them line 1 line 2 line 3 I want to remove the space between line 2 and line 3... I tried sed... it work but it prints the whole text file at the command prompt which i dont want.... sde i tried was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

5. AIX

missing blank spaces while cutting the file to individual files

$ indicates blank space file1.txt: 001_AHaris$$$$$020$$$$$$$$$ 001_ATony$$$$$$030$$$$$$$$$ 002_AChris$$$$$090$$$$$$$$$ 002_ASmit$$$$$$060$$$$$$$$$ 003_AJhon$$$$$$001$$$$$$$$$ $ indicates blank space code while read "LINE"; do echo "$LINE" | cut -c6- >> $(echo "$LINE" | cut... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove blank spaces in file

hi i have a file which store some data.the contents of my file is data1:data2 data3:data4 i have a script which read this file correct="$(cat /root/sh | cut -d: -f1)" i used this syntax..please help me which syntax is used to remove blank spaces..then how to read this file.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removal of blank spaces in a file

Hello.. I have a text file. I want to remove all the blank spaces(except tab) from the file.. I tried using sed command as shown below sed 's/ //g' file1 But the problem with the above command is that it also eliminates 'tab' which is between the columns.. For example if the contents... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all blank spaces in a file

I have a file which contains data such as that shown below. How do i remove all the blcnak spaces, before, during and at the end of each line in one command? 300015, 58.0823212, 230.424728 300016, 58.2276459, 229.141602 300017, 58.7590027, 226.960846 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect blank spaces in a CSV file

I'm monitoring a WLAN network to keep track of new SSIDs popping up. The SSIDs are stored along with the AP MAC address and a few other parameters in a CSV file. A typical line could look like this: 18:70:9f:e3:80:aa 10:11:15 MyNetwork 2437 Now, the problem is that some networks use SSIDs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zooma
4 Replies
gets(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   gets(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
gets - Read a line from a channel SYNOPSIS
gets channelId ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command reads the next line from channelId, returns everything in the line up to (but not including) the end-of-line character(s), and discards the end-of-line character(s). ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as the Tcl standard input channel (stdin), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The channel must have been opened for input. If varName is omitted the line is returned as the result of the command. If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable by that name and the return value is a count of the number of characters returned. If end of file occurs while scanning for an end of line, the command returns whatever input is available up to the end of file. If chan- nelId is in nonblocking mode and there is not a full line of input available, the command returns an empty string and does not consume any input. If varName is specified and an empty string is returned in varName because of end-of-file or because of insufficient data in non- blocking mode, then the return count is -1. Note that if varName is not specified then the end-of-file and no-full-line-available cases can produce the same results as if there were an input line consisting only of the end-of-line character(s). The eof and fblocked commands can be used to distinguish these three cases. EXAMPLE
This example reads a file one line at a time and prints it out with the current line number attached to the start of each line. set chan [open "some.file.txt"] set lineNumber 0 while {[gets $chan line] >= 0} { puts "[incr lineNumber]: $line" } close $chan SEE ALSO
file(n), eof(n), fblocked(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, end of file, end of line, line, nonblocking, read Tcl 7.5 gets(n)