Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Odd message from find command Post 302394301 by sysgate on Thursday 11th of February 2010 05:00:45 AM
Old 02-11-2010
I see some contradictory messages in the man pages of 'find', so I would suggest reading the man pages for your version of 'find', the answer should be there. To me, the error message may mean that some of the listed files are actually a symbolic links.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Error Message: find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle

I am using the "find" command below and it respond with the error message " find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle" what does it mean? what can I do about it? Need advice, thanks. below are the command that I enter, the respond and the error message: root@ScripServer:/# find / -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezsurf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - odd output from for command...

Help needed - I am sure there is something to do with tabs or white space that is killing me here.. I have a file that is generated from an oracle sql script - when I cat the file I see the below 601888725 14-AUG-08-10:20 3 601888726 14-AUG-08-10:37 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

ls command with a welcome message !

Dear Friends , Is it possible to generate a welcome message when I give the command "ls" from a particular user's home directory in Unix/Linux platform ? suppose , in following example , bash-3.00# whoami root bash-3.00# ls When I give ls command then it shows the output as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uniq command behaving odd

My file has k s j v l k a s f l k s a d f j l a s (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix_nebula
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command behave odd

hi, The following mail cmd executed successfully. mailx -s 'subject' user@company.com < testfile.dat However When i include this mail cmd in shell script it behave odd. Getting an error message mailx comand not found. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find odd numbered items from a csv

Hi, This question might seem bit confusing. Sorry for that. I have tried to express myself as clear as possible. I have a text file in following format: abc_456_def,abc_457_def,123_458_def,abc_3_459_def,zbc_123_456_def ybc_123_457_def,xbc_3_458def,ybc_124_457_def I want to check the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoding the ERROR message while using find,move commands

Hi All, We just need to move a set files to a Archive location and then delete the files older than 1 day. I used the below commands respectively. When the file exist it is working. But when the file doesnt exist, in the ouptput log file it is showing "NO MATCH". How to avoid this in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna1234
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Null values in Columns and fail execution by displaying error message

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have a requirement as part of my job to find out null/empty values in column 2 and column 3 from a CSV file and exit the further execution of script by displaying a simple error message. I have developed a script to do this by reading various articles... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpk
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string in all files and echo a message

Hi. I m trying to figure out how to do this. I have a directory full of files (100 files) and I want to be able to search for a string called "end" at the end of the files (last line or last 5 lines) and echo each file to say "incomplete" if not found. This is what I have so far. ---... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasonhawaii
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find to delete lines with pattern and even or odd number

In the below directory I am trying to delete all lines with a .bam extention that have the pattern IonCode_ followed by an even number. I am also trying to delete all lines with a .fastq extention that have the pattern IonCode_ followed by an odd number. I was going to use find but can see all... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
DH_INSTALLMANPAGES(1)						     Debhelper						     DH_INSTALLMANPAGES(1)

NAME
dh_installmanpages - old-style man page installer (deprecated) SYNOPSIS
dh_installmanpages [debhelperoptions] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_installmanpages is a debhelper program that is responsible for automatically installing man pages into usr/share/man/ in package build directories. This is a DWIM-style program, with an interface unlike the rest of debhelper. It is deprecated, and you are encouraged to use dh_installman(1) instead. dh_installmanpages scans the current directory and all subdirectories for filenames that look like man pages. (Note that only real files are looked at; symlinks are ignored.) It uses file(1) to verify that the files are in the correct format. Then, based on the files' extensions, it installs them into the correct man directory. All filenames specified as parameters will be skipped by dh_installmanpages. This is useful if by default it installs some man pages that you do not want to be installed. After the man page installation step, dh_installmanpages will check to see if any of the man pages are .so links. If so, it changes them to symlinks. OPTIONS
file ... Do not install these files as man pages, even if they look like valid man pages. BUGS
dh_installmanpages will install the man pages it finds into all packages you tell it to act on, since it can't tell what package the man pages belong in. This is almost never what you really want (use -p to work around this, or use the much better dh_installman(1) program instead). Files ending in .man will be ignored. Files specified as parameters that contain spaces in their filenames will not be processed properly. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLMANPAGES(1)