Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers MTA problems; root gets no mail Post 302394125 by Narnie on Wednesday 10th of February 2010 07:04:53 PM
Old 02-10-2010
MTA problems; root gets no mail

Hello,

I am afraid that I goofed up my mailing system.

I have an Ubuntu 9.10 system

Code:
$ uname -smor
Linux 2.6.31-14-generic x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am wanting to receive cron job mails. I noticed that cron jobs were trying to send mail to sendmail. I had installed ssmtp so I could send mail using gmail from the command line which also installed bsd-mailx. OOPS! I think this really messed up configurations. After further research, I purged ssmtp and reinstalled bsd-mailx which has postfix as a dependency.

Now, root doesn't get mail (via mail command), but root can send mail to users ok. Users can send and receive mail from user to user.

I think a side effect of this problem is that it messes up cron, as this is the only significant difference between this and other systems I have and they don't have this problem. Now cron processes hangs (the cron job itself completes) and becomes a zombie. Only restarting the cron service fixes it.

Any ideas how to resolve this short of restalling (which I'd rather not do)?

Thanks,
Narnie

---------- Post updated at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:29 PM ----------

More scrounging around showed :

Code:
$ cat /etc/aliases
# See man 5 aliases for format
postmaster:    root

Code:
$ echo "Howdy" | sendmail -v root@localhost
Mail Delivery Status Report will be mailed to <woodnt>.

I think we are on to something here.

No aliases for root to woodnt, but sendmail is sending to woodnt.

BTW, tried sending mail to root from another user not woodnt and neither woodnt nor root got the mail. See this for the results:

Code:
woodnt@toshiba-laptop ~/.xchat2/downloads $ su luke
Password: 
luke@toshiba-laptop /home/woodnt/.xchat2/downloads $ mail root
Subject: Hello
root
Cc: 
luke@toshiba-laptop /home/woodnt/.xchat2/downloads $ exit
exit
woodnt@toshiba-laptop ~/.xchat2/downloads $ mail
No mail for woodnt
woodnt@toshiba-laptop ~/.xchat2/downloads $ sudo su
toshiba-laptop downloads # mail
No mail for root
toshiba-laptop downloads # exit
exit

Any ideas where to go from here?

Last edited by Narnie; 02-10-2010 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: error correction

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

mail problems - how to send mail on solaris

Hello I am new user on solaris... I need to configure my solaris to be able to send mails... I know mailx command mailx -s hello address@address.com but I get an error... you have mail in /var/mail/root # hello... User unknown /dead.letter... Saved message in /dead.letter what... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
10 Replies

2. AIX

Problems with disabling remote root login

Hello! I'm going through security checklist for AIX 5.3 and i just can't disable remote login for root through ssh. What i did: - in /etc/security/user i added a line: rlogin = false which works fine when i try to login through telnet - after installation of openSSH i edited... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: veccinho
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh root@mrp-gateway problems

Dear friends, exec 0<$SuppFile while read LINE do echo $LINE gatewayArchive=`ssh root@mrp-gateway "cd /usr/local/apache/data/PLAT/MIMUS/upload/PROD/archive && ls $LINE"` echo "gateway files :"$gatewayArchive done this loop is not repeating when i use ssh root@mrp-gateway line of code.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root problems??

So when I log in as root on my eMac (running tiger, 10.4.11), some things don't work or reluctantly work. Examples: Computer:/Users/mat/Desktop root# pico test.doc Error opening terminal: network. Computer:/Users/mat/Desktop root# emacs test.doc Error opening terminal: network. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: razordp
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Non root login problems in AIX

Hi All, I have setup a non root user on AIX 5.3, using smit. When I try logging on as that user my login screen just disappears. I am using PUTTY. I login to the same box as root no problems. I have tried re-creating several different usernames but get the same effect I have also telneted from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansul
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

localhost [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

hardware = raq550 running on strongbolt2. my sendmail log is littered with this entry all through the day: localhost did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA it occurrs every 15 minutes. I don't have any problem sending or receiving mail. I did a search on google but couldn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonj
0 Replies

7. AIX

Able to send mail without running MTA (sendmail)?

Hi, I am facing a (for me and coworkers) strange behaviour. When I stop sendmail on a plain AIX 5.3 testing box (there is definetly no sendmail process left running anymore), I am still able to send mails to remote addresses via the mail command. I tried that on another box which is not a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
6 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Most popular mail server(MTA)

Which among the following is most popular choice as a mail server - 1)Sendmail 2)Postfix 3)Qmail Which is the industry preferred one? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[SOLVED] Root mail going to user "mail" instead of root

I running Linux Mint Debian Edition tracking testing and have started a cron job that will send something to the root mailbox. Mint has heirloom and exim4 installed. However, mail was getting nothing. I realized that in /etc/aliases, there was a line root: mintSince you can't log into the mint... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Component(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Graphics::Primitive::Component(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Component - Base graphical unit DESCRIPTION
A Component is an entity with a graphical representation. SYNOPSIS
my $c = Graphics::Primitive::Component->new({ origin => Geometry::Primitive::Point->new({ x => $x, y => $y }), width => 500, height => 350 }); LIFECYCLE
prepare Most components do the majority of their setup in the prepare. The goal of prepare is to establish it's minimum height and width so that it can be properly positioned by a layout manager. $driver->prepare($comp); layout This is not a method of Component, but a phase introduced by the use of Layout::Manager. If the component is a container then each of it's child components (even the containers) will be positioned according to the minimum height and width determined during prepare. Different layout manager implementations have different rules, so consult the documentation for each for details. After this phase has completed the origin, height and width should be set for all components. $lm->do_layout($comp); finalize This final phase provides and opportunity for the component to do any final changes to it's internals before being passed to a driver for drawing. An example might be a component that draws a fleuron at it's extremities. Since the final height and width isn't known until this phase, it was impossible for it to position these internal components until now. It may even defer creation of this components until now. It is not ok to defer all action to the finalize phase. If you do not establish a minimum hieght and width during prepare then the layout manager may not provide you with enough space to draw. $driver->finalize($comp); draw Handled by Graphics::Primitive::Driver. $driver->draw($comp); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Component. Instance Methods background_color Set this component's background color. border Set this component's border, which should be an instance of Border. callback Optional callback that is fired at the beginning of the "finalize" phase. This allows you to add some sort of custom code that can modify the component just before it is rendered. The only argument is the component itself. Note that changing the position or the dimensions of the component will not re-layout the scene. You may have weird results of you manipulate the component's dimensions here. class Set/Get this component's class, which is an abitrary string. Graphics::Primitive has no internal use for this attribute but provides it for outside use. color Set this component's foreground color. fire_callback Method to execute this component's "callback". get_tree Get a tree for this component. Since components are -- by definiton -- leaf nodes, this tree will only have the one member at it's root. has_callback Predicate that tells if this component has a "callback". height Set this component's height. inside_bounding_box Returns a Rectangle that defines the edges of the 'inside' box for this component. This box is relative to the origin of the component. inside_height Get the height available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. inside_width Get the width available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. margins Set this component's margins, which should be an instance of Insets. Margins are the space outside the component's bounding box, as in CSS. The margins should be outside the border. maximum_height Set/Get this component's maximum height. Used to inform a layout manager. maximum_width Set/Get this component's maximum width. Used to inform a layout manager. minimum_height Set/Get this component's minimum height. Used to inform a layout manager. minimum_inside_height Get the minimum height available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. minimum_inside_width Get the minimum width available in this container after taking away space for padding, margin and borders. minimum_width Set/Get this component's minimum width. Used to inform a layout manager. name Set this component's name. This is not required, but may inform consumers of a component. Pay attention to that library's documentation. origin Set/Get the origin point for this component. outside_height Get the height consumed by padding, margin and borders. outside_width Get the width consumed by padding, margin and borders. finalize Method provided to give component one last opportunity to put it's contents into the provided space. Called after prepare. padding Set this component's padding, which should be an instance of Insets. Padding is the space inside the component's bounding box, as in CSS. This padding should be between the border and the component's content. page If true then this component represents stand-alone page. This informs the driver that this component (and any children) are to be renderered on a single surface. This only really makes sense in formats that have pages such as PDF of PostScript. prepare Method to prepare this component for drawing. This is an empty sub and is meant to be overridden by a specific implementation. preferred_height Set/Get this component's preferred height. Used to inform a layout manager. preferred_width Set/Get this component's preferred width. Used to inform a layout manager. to_string Get a string representation of this component in the form of: $name $x,$y ($widthx$height) visible Set/Get this component's visible flag. width Set/Get this component's width. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-geometry-primitive at rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Geometry-Primitive <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Geometry-Primitive>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2009 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2011-06-02 Graphics::Primitive::Component(3pm)