Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help me create regexp for ISBN Post 302393967 by Lukasito on Wednesday 10th of February 2010 05:47:23 AM
Old 02-10-2010
help me create regexp for ISBN

ISBN 10:
it has 4 groups separated with ' ' or '-'
1. group need to has 1-5 digits
2. group need to has max 7
3. max 6
4. 1 digit or letter 'X'

ISBN 13
5 groups separated with ' ' or '-'
1. group - always has 3 digits
2. group same as 1st in isbn10
3. group same as 2nd in isbn10
4. group same as 3rd in isbn10
5. group same as 4th in isbn10

i need to construct regexp which can match ISBN10 OR ISBN13

i tried something like this:
[0-9]{0,3}[- ]{0,1}[0-9]{1,5}[- ]{1}[0-9]{0,7}[- ]{1}[0-9]{0,6}[- ]{1}[0-9X]{1}
but it works only on regextester.com not in my grep -o command :/

can you help?

also, can you tell me, in what reason doesnt my regex work? :/

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regexp

Hi guys, does anyone know how to test for a regular expression - i want to include it in a script to make sure the variable is a regexp cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp assistance

i have a list of text a b c d e My desired output is 'a','b','c','d','e' any advise? My file was actually in excel format, i copied out the column into notepad. I am not sure if the \n exists in between. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

puzzling regexp

hey guys, i'm having some problems with my understanding of this whole regexp thing. I'm just exploring here really by trying to do various match & filter & print stuff on the console. I figured i want to get the IP of an interface. So my idea here was that first i filter to extract only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jad
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp help

I'd like to know if there is a catchall line for renaming the following patterns: s01e03 -> 01x03 s4e9 -> 04x09 s10e08 ->10x08 and possibly even: 318 -> 03x18 1002 ->10x02 if its the first 3 or first digit number in the string. thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regexp

Hi there! I would like to know how to find and replace all numbers in a *.html file and make them bold. Any help will be appreciated! :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print the line immediately after a regexp; but regexp is a sentence

Good Day, Im new to scripting especially awk and sed. I just would like to ask help from you guys about a sed command that prints the line immediately after a regexp, but not the line containing the regexp. sed -n '/regexp/{n;p;}' filename What if my regexp is 3 word or a sentence. Im... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ownins
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with grep regexp

My input file looks like this: 13154|X,the deer hunter 13154|Y,the good life 1316|,american idol 1316|,bowling 1316|,chuck etc... The X, Y, or any other character (besides a comma) after the pipe is a "Device Type". I want to strip out lines that do not have a device type. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwinsk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp

I would like to extract "1333 Fairlane" given the below text. The word "Building:" is always present. The wording between Building and the beginning of the address can be almost anything. It appears the the hyphen is there most of the time. Campus: Fairlane Business Park Building:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbaker@copesan.
9 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

A Regexp You Can Use Everywhere

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ bakunin (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
0 Replies
group(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  group(4)

NAME
group - Group file DESCRIPTION
The /etc/group database contains the following information for each group: Group name Encrypted password Numerical group ID A comma-sepa- rated list of all users allowed in the group Note: Do not put any spaces between a comma and a username; otherwise, the username following the comma will not be made a part of the desired group. The /etc/group file is an ASCII file, with the fields separated by colons. Each group is separated from the next by a new line. If the password field is null, no password is demanded. Because of the encrypted passwords, it can and does have general read permission and can be used, for example, to map numerical group IDs to names. Note that commands or scripts used for adding users to groups are subject to the 225 character limit on line lengths. However, you can split lines as appropriate. RESTRICTIONS
Increasing the number of groups that a user is in beyond 16 can affect services that use ONC RPC. Tru64 UNIX ONC RPC supports up to 32 groups for compatibility with ULTRIX Version 4.2 and higher. Other vendors may support only 16 groups. ULTRIX versions before 4.2 support up to 8 groups. Users who increase their group membership beyond 8 or 16 groups will not be able to NFS mount file systems from servers that only support 8 or 16 groups over NFS. In addition, if root group membership is increased beyond 8 or 16, the NIS service will not work in a mixed NIS server environment where the servers support only 8 or 16 groups. The addgroup command limits the length of a group name to eight characters or less. FILES
/etc/group RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: addgroup(8), groupadd(8), adduser(8), groups(1), passwd(1) Functions: setgroups(2) Routines: initgroups(3) Files: passwd(4) delim off group(4)