Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to figure out what each IP address is used for? Post 302393732 by methyl on Tuesday 9th of February 2010 12:09:12 PM
Old 02-09-2010
@mojoman
Anything to do with hardware and comms is machine specific. Please just this once state which Hardware and Operating System with exact version you are working on today.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i can not figure this out

I am having problems scripting in UNIX. I am currently attending school and for the first time I am being introduced to scripting. My problem is I am supposed to enhance the spell_check by adding a third optional argument. The third argument is to specify a list of words to be added to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steph
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

figure it out

hi there i am new to this site and this linux and unix stuff so kind of plz help me out hoe to start the stuff.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cool_dude
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out else not matching

All, I appreciate any help you can provide on this. I get an "else unmatched" error with this code and can't figure out why. If I remove the 1st if statement through the 1st else the script runs through fine. Any thoughts? #decrypt file sudo -u gpg /usr/bin/gpg... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peteroc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant figure out this..

Hi, I need a little help here. I am exporting user info from a PSQL database and everything is working with the exception of this: 10029008:dsAuthMethodStandard\:dsAuthClearText:classword:10029008:2004:10029008:10029008:/home/student/1002/90/08:10029008 It is putting a colon right before the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stud33
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

How do I figure out the subnet?

Hi, How do I get subnet from this: 10.252.0.138/25 Tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't figure this one out --

I'm putting together a shell script while I'm learning UNIX -- just for myself. It's a little script that simply takes some vendor names and writes them to a file. So far I'm at the stage where the user enters the name of the file and places it in a folder called vendorlists: * ) touch... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't figure out why this repeats

#!/bin/sh while IFS=: read address port; do : ${port:=443} address=$address port=$port cd $f_location number=`grep "$address" thing.txt -A 1 | grep "addresses=" | cut -d'"' -f2` echo "$address,$port,$number,$answer" >>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade917
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with change significant figure to normal figure command

Hi, Below is my input file: Long list of significant figure 1.757E-4 7.51E-3 5.634E-5 . . . Desired output file: 0.0001757 0.00751 0.00005634 . . . (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

C program to detect duplicate ip address if any after assigning ip address to ethernet interface

Hi , Could someone let me know how to detect duplicate ip address after assigning ip address to ethernet interface using c program (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
3 Replies
SENSORS-DETECT(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 SENSORS-DETECT(8)

NAME
sensors-detect - detect hardware monitoring chips SYNOPSIS
sensors-detect DESCRIPTION
sensors-detect is an interactive program that will walk you through the process of scanning your system for various hardware monitoring chips, or sensors, supported by libsensors(3), or more generally by the lm_sensors tool suite. sensors-detect will look for the following devices, in order: o Sensors embedded in CPUs, south bridges and memory controllers. o Sensors embedded in Super I/O chips. o Hardware monitoring chips accessed through ISA I/O ports. o Hardware monitoring chips reachable over the SMBus or more generally any I2C bus on your system. As the last two detection steps can cause trouble on some systems, they are normally not attempted if the second detection step led to the discovery of a Super I/O chip with complete hardware monitoring features. However, the user is always free to ask for all detection steps if so is his/her wish. This can be useful if a given system has more than one hardware monitoring chip. Some vendors are known to do this, most notably Asus and Tyan. WARNING
sensors-detect needs to access the hardware for most of the chip detections. By definition, it doesn't know which chips are there before it manages to identify them. This means that it can access chips in a way these chips do not like, causing problems ranging from SMBus lockup to permanent hardware damage (a rare case, thankfully.) The authors made their best to make the detection as safe as possible, and it turns out to work just fine in most cases, however it is impossible to guarantee that sensors-detect will not lock or kill a specific system. So, as a rule of thumb, you should not run sensors- detect on production servers, and you should not run sensors-detect if can't afford replacing a random part of your system. Also, it is recommended to not force a detection step which would have been skipped by default, unless you know what you are doing. SEE ALSO
sensors(1), libsensors(3) AUTHOR
Frodo Looijaard and Jean Delvare lm-sensors 3 December 2008 SENSORS-DETECT(8)