Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Booting problem due to adding hard drive incorrectly Post 302393611 by jgt on Tuesday 9th of February 2010 08:18:42 AM
Old 02-09-2010
What is the exact release number, it is printed on both the boot diskette, and the CD.?
How many SCSI hard drives are in the system, and is the CD drive SCSI or IDE?

Since you don't appear to have a backup of the root file system, why not disconnect the SCSI disks, re-install the IDE drive as primary master, and install the operating system on the IDE drive, then re-connect the SCSI drive(s) and add them as secondary drives. When you add them using 'mkdev hd' be sure not to do a destructive scan, and in the divvy section not to mark any of the file systems as 'new'.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

3. SCO

USB hard drive problem

I have a USB hard drive attached to my SCO OSR6 machine I accidently powered it off while it was mounted and now the OS complains when you try to re-mount it and it appears that it is complaining because it has a new device number so it isn't at the original device location anymore. does anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garycrow
1 Replies

4. Solaris

routing problem after replacing hard drive

Need to replace hard drive on Ultra 10 running Solaris 2.6. Bought new drive about the same size. Partitioned it differently to solve a space problem. After newfs used tar commands to copy most of the files to the new drive. Installboot took care of the boot file. ufsdump copied /dev and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem with accessing my 2nd hard drive

Hello I am having a problem with being able to use my 2nd hard drive as my new os doesn't recognize it. it is /dev/hdb2 and it shows as It is still in my system. it is a 73 gb hard drive and it is useless to me now. I used to have windows XP and had no problem with it,I have since changed to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donald Spauldin
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing UNIX and booting from External Hard Drive

Hello I have a new project being kicked off next month and i should learn UNIX fast. I have never used UNIX before so i have the following questions: 1) Is any UNIX free to install? 2) Can i install and boot UNIX from an External Hard Drive (The system board on my laptop crashed so i took the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pipsonian
2 Replies

7. Hardware

[solved] Sun Netra X1 - Adding a Second Hard Drive

As the title suggests, I'm trying to install a second drive (really want an OS mirror) on a Sun Netra X1. I've taken the spacer out, and had a go at with the drill-press so now I have a nice HDD tray. Have installed an IDE drive in the tray, plugged in the power and data cables that were... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with damaged hard drive during bootup

Hello, I have a problem with the hard drive connected to my setup. When I connect the HDD which is damaged, and try to bring up my system, I get some error messages continuously on my console saying ata2.01: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0 frozen ata2.01: failed command:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai2krishna
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem setting path to external hard drive as a variable

Hello all, I am EXTREMELY new to using bash and I have a bit of a problem: I'm trying to set up a shell script that can 1.) take one of several giant files off of an external hard drive 2.) use it as input for scripts on my laptop's hard drive ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machine_spirit
3 Replies
addbadsec(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     addbadsec(1M)

NAME
addbadsec - map out defective disk blocks SYNOPSIS
addbadsec [-p] [ -a blkno [blkno...]] [-f filename] raw_device DESCRIPTION
addbadsec is used by the system administrator to map out bad disk blocks. Normally, these blocks are identified during surface analysis, but occasionally the disk subsystem reports unrecoverable data errors indicating a bad block. A block number reported in this way can be fed directly into addbadsec, and the block will be remapped. addbadsec will first attempt hardware remapping. This is supported on SCSI drives and takes place at the disk hardware level. If the target is an IDE drive, then software remapping is used. In order for software remapping to succeed, the partition must contain an alternate slice and there must be room in this slice to perform the mapping. It should be understood that bad blocks lead to data loss. Remapping a defective block does not repair a damaged file. If a bad block occurs to a disk-resident file system structure such as a superblock, the entire slice might have to be recovered from a backup. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. If more than one block number is specified, the entire list should be quoted and block numbers should be separated by white space. -f Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. The bad blocks are listed, one per line, in the specified file. -p Causes addbadsec to print the current software map. The output shows the defective block and the assigned alternate. This option cannot be used to print the hardware map. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?p0. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
disks(1M), diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the addbadsec, diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS "format" utility; however, to label, analyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 addbadsec(1M)