Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If user has own crontab, results in accumulation of root CRON processes Post 302393422 by TonyFullerMalv on Monday 8th of February 2010 06:10:01 PM
Old 02-08-2010
Quote:
I've tried to run this in a terminal:

Code:
/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -Fwoodnt -oem woodnt

but never got a prompt back without Ctrl-C

Any other ideas from anyone?
Well no wonder cron is getting stuck then...

I tend to use mailx rather than sendmail directly when scripting, e.g. to send a mail message:
Code:
$ mailx -s "Subject heading" user@domain.com < message_file.txt

What are you trying to achieve with sendmail, and what Unix are you using, I do not see a -i option for sendmail on the manpage I am looking at?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How to receive results from processes spawned on external machines using SSH

I am trying to get the number of cpus on a farm of linux boxes (about 100 of them) by 'sshing' to each of them and checking their /proc/cpuinfo file. So I have a local script localscript.sh on each of those 100 machines which retrieves the number of cpus in it by using its /proc/cpuinfo file.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waavman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give non root user sudo to "crontab -l"

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to give some users access to root's crontab but only with a read privilege. Is this possible to do or can only root or people with full root sudo view root's cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
4 Replies

3. AIX

Crontab cannot run by non-root user

Good morning everybody. I have just receiedv a complaint from our DBA saying that if he create a scripts to run some Oracle performance scripts using crontab and the scheduling part is ok but the job is failed when I checked on /var/adm/cron/log. I have tried his scripts using Oracle id directly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
4 Replies

4. Solaris

"! bad user (root)" in cron log

I am getting the following error in the cron log: ! bad user (root) Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 < root 8989 c Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 rc=1 What does this mean? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job initiating ssh AND sudo (from user, not root)

I've been bashing my head on the desk for 2 days trying to get this to work, but I've had no luck. I'll try to be as clear as possible in my explanation without dragging out the details. I'm trying to set up a cron job for user "john" which runs a script. This script initiates an ssh connection to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eh3civic
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing crontab of non-root user from file

Hi All, Ref: "build crontab from a text file" in same forum. (I am not allowed to post URL's in the first post) We are reorganizing our UNIX Crontab file by first making changes in a word pad text file. The intent is to then copy it back to Crontab. Will this work? Copy and Paste does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivedhitha
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Bad user root in crontab

Hi everyone, I got error which is "!bad user (root)" in crontab... I tried changing password, I checked etc/cron/cron.allow and cron.deny, And also I checked the permissions of my files, its(my crontab script) still not working.... Please help... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON JOB not running - for tape backup from root user

I am trying a cron on root user to backup to tape using TAR command here is the cron entry 11 08 * * 6 /erdhot1cron 2>&1 >> /test3/scripts/dba/erdhot1cron.log here is script inside - edhot1cron #!/bin/bash vsysdt=`date +%d%m%y` date tar -cvf /dev/st0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaymec50
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is CRON only for root user

Hi, i have question about cron. can we have user based cron file under /var/spool/cron or we should have only root file which can only be accessed by root user or admin and he should only be doing the task of scheduling. PKS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenkumar198
8 Replies
queuedefs(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and crontab SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by (see cron(1M)). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: [njob[nice[nwait The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue, such that is the default queue for jobs started by (see at(1)), is the queue for jobs started by (see at(1)), and is the queue for jobs run from a file (see crontab(1)). Queue names through designate user-defined queues. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue. Although any number can be specified here, (see cron(1M)) by default limits the number of jobs that can be run on all the queues to 100. This limitation can be removed by setting the variable to 1 in the file. nice The value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user (see nice(1)). The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because more than 100 jobs were running in all the queues (see njob above). EXAMPLES
Consider the following file: The file is interpreted as follows: The queue, for jobs (see at(1)), can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously, and those jobs will be run with a value of 1. Since no nwait value is given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it (see cron(1M)). The queue, for jobs (see at(1)), can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously. Those jobs will be run with a value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously. They will be run with a value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. SEE ALSO
at(1), nice(1), crontab(1), cron(1M), proto(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
queuedefs(4)