Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to run script at startup. Post 302393108 by pinga123 on Monday 8th of February 2010 12:14:18 AM
Old 02-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Merzky
Your system startup scripts should live in /etc/rc.d. Depending on your distribution, you should find a script rc.local there, which will get executed after all other startup scripts are done. Put your stuff in there.

Performance: well, it will extend the startup time by the runtime of your script, obviously. If you are concerned about that, run your script in the background...

Best, Andre.
being new to the technology kindly correct if i m wrong.
does running the script means putting & at the end of script name.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run tomcat at startup

Is it possible to run tomcat automatically when Linux boots without having to log in? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
4 Replies

2. Linux

Run a script during reboot/startup

Hi all, i have a script in /etc/init.d directory. -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 26 Mar 28 16:00 myscript I need it to run when my linux reboots/startup. However is it not being executed. Do i need to put in in the rc.local directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup Script "run process with Timer"

Hi I have a script that execute every X minute for checking new files in a folder and converting to pdf. Is there any way to start this script automatically on linux startup?. I use sleep function in script with infinite loop. while do killall -u `whoami` -q soffice soffice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zawmn83
0 Replies

4. AIX

run script at startup

I am using AIX 5.3 in P6 machine. I have a script "test.sh", when i run it manually it runs properly. I want to run the script automatically when system starts. I kept the script in /etc/rc.d/init.d and also in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d but it is not working. Do i have to write it in inittab instead of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchangba1
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run a script at startup

hi, i am using rhel 5, and i wanna run a script as soon as the operating system open. How can i do this ? ( i was reading rc.d files but i could not understand exactly what are the run levels and where should i put the my shell script. my script will be : #!/bin/ksh iptables -I INPUT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: futi
1 Replies

6. SuSE

Unable to Run a script at startup in suse

Hi I have a script myscript.sh that needs to be run whenever the server boots. The script is actually logging Syslog-ng messages to sql server. I need to lauch it at startup I have copied the script in etc/init.d i have also added the link ln -s /etc/init.d/syslog-ng-mssql-pipe.sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SystemEng
5 Replies

7. AIX

Run script with different user at the startup ..

Run script with different user at the startup .. I have created this user appuser And I have a script should to be up thru the startup by this user appuser I have defined the path of the script /user/appstart.sh in /etc/rc But at the startup starting will be by root , I’d like to keep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run application at startup

We have a Windows Service written in C# ported over to linux using Mono Develop... The code is working 100% when we run a script file which runs the exe... but we want the application to run at startup.... The application gathers info of the computer eg. Hard Disk Space etc... And compress it into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yodzaan
1 Replies

9. Solaris

run a service via startup script (correct me if I am wrong)

Environment Solaris 9 I have configured the Solaris9 as NTP client in which Solaris9 is syncing the time with a windows2008 R2 Server which is runing fine. Now I want that the xntpd service should start at startup. I did this via a script. Kindly correct if I did any thing wrong: 1.)Made... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)