Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Create a new user with restriction Post 302393053 by shaharoz on Sunday 7th of February 2010 11:01:16 AM
Old 02-07-2010
Create a new user with restriction

Hello,

I would to create a new user with some restriction:
1. The user will not be able to CD any directory (I mean he'll login to the defined home directory and that's all).
2. The user will not be able to delete anything in that home directory

Thanks a lot in advance,
Shahar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restriction for more than one user

How do l restrict more than one users on a multiple programming environment using the c shell profile. That is if a user is log-on on one terminal the system should be able to prompt a message if the users attempt to log on on another terminal. I user openserver 5.0.4 with dummy terminals, and also... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
7 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restriction to User

Dear all, I am trying to create a new user account that can have the minimum access to the HP-Ux box, as in it only need to perform system info query like bdf and only able to read access system log files but not able to delete any file from any other directory beside it's own user directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

4. AIX

user session restriction

I want to restrict user's loging according to number of session. example the user named "patrik" can be login concurrently from 12 stations thru telnet the 13th if some body tries to telnet 13th session it should not allow, until any of the 12 sessions are closed. is it possibel ...i think... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba1
2 Replies

5. AIX

user session restriction

hi, I am facing a problem from the remote system if i login to my AIX5.3 machine as root (thru telnet) the session does not expire for 2 hours even if the session is kept ideal But whenever i do the same thing from some other user then the session is lost within 10 minutes (if session is kept... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User restriction

Dear All I had one user called msc. In that i had two folder.xxx and yyy ex: /home/msc/xxx ex: /home/msc/yyy Now i want that msc user only able to access xxx folder only. No other folder should be visible to it. Kindly let me know. How it possile?? Regards Jaydeep (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies

7. Linux

SFTP user access restriction to his home dir

Hi Friends, I have installed a FTP Server on my Linux machine (Fedora 11). I want the ftp users to be restricted to their own home dir using sftp. But the said condition is met when the user logs in using ftp over port 21 and when the user logs in using sftp i.e. protocol 22, he/she has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pashy
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

9. AIX

User restriction on C/C++ compiler on AIX

Hello, I am curious that is there a way I can restrict a user or a set of users to execute the C/C++ compiler, basically what I want is to lock it down to a particular user and none of the other users should be able to compile any code. Thanks in advance. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: m6248m
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to create file permission change restriction

Hello, I am looking for a UNIX shell script which can help me for access restriction. 1) /home/ram, there are number file with .txt extension, which should be only owned "ram" user. like as below ls -lrt *.txt -rwx------ 1 ram dba 11 Jan 4 2015 PASS1.txt -rwx------ 1 ram dba 10 Jan 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.trilok
8 Replies
rhosts(5)							File Formats Manual							 rhosts(5)

Name
       rhosts - list of hosts that are logically equivalent to the local host

Syntax
       /$HOME/.rhosts

Description
       The  file  allows  a  user  who has an account on the local host to log in from a remote host without supplying a password.  It also allows
       remote copies to the local host.

If the file exists, it is located in a user's home directory.  It is not a mandatory file, however.

The format of a file entry is:
       hostname [username]
       The hostname is the name of the remote host from which the user wants to log into the local host.  The username is the user's login name on
       the remote host.  If you do not specify a user name, the user must have the same login name on both the remote and local hosts.

The  host  names  listed in the file may optionally contain the local BIND domain name.	For more information on BIND, see the Guide to the
       BIND/Hesiod Service.

If a user is logged in to and wants to log in to a host called without supplying a password, she must:

o    Have an account on

o    Create a file in her home directory on

o    Specify host1 ginger as an entry in the file.
	    If has the same login on both and she can simply specify host1 in her entry.  You can allow the superuser of a remote system to log in
	    to your system without password protection or perform a remote copy by having a file in the root ( / ) directory, but it is not recom-
	    mended.
	    In addition to having a file, the superuser needs a terminal entry in the file for each pseudoterminal configured in the system.   The
	    secure entry looks similar to the following:
	    ttyp3      none    network	       secure
	    See the reference page for more information.

Examples
       The  following is a sample file for the user It is located in her home directory on She also has accounts on the hosts called and Her login
       name on and is the same as on but her login on is

To enable to log in to from and without supplying a password, her on should contain the following entries:
       machine1
       system1	gordon
       host3

See Also
       hosts.equiv(5), ttys(5)
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

rhosts(5)