Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Interactive shell through a pipe Post 302393035 by drl on Sunday 7th of February 2010 07:33:00 AM
Old 02-07-2010
Hi.

Responding only to your question:
Quote:
Are there other ways to feed lines to an interactive shell?
Many find a solution in the non-trivial system expect:
Code:
INTRODUCTION
       Expect  is a program that "talks" to other interactive programs accord-
       ing to a script.  Following  the  script,  Expect  knows  what  can  be
       expected  from  a  program and what the correct response should be.

-- excerpt from man expect

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

need help in implementing simple interactive shell in C

hello all, i hv attached herewith my program to implement a simple interactive shell in C. no matter hw hard I try, I keep getting some errors. i need help - urgently !! proj1test7.c: In function `parseCommand': proj1test7.c:102: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nix1209
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell interactive script

Hi, How can I prompt a user for two input and pass the input to variables in the script. I have the following script but it is not working: +++++++++Begin+++++++++++ #!/bin/sh database_c=$1 output_f=$2 echo "Your db is $1\nOutput is $2" +++++++++End+++++++++++ Thanks, Leonard (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leonard905
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Schedule an interactive shell script

Hi, I need to schedule a shell script which executes another shell script along with a series of other commands. When the inner shell script is executed it prompts for a password..... This inner shell cannot be changed How can I do this???? Regards, Chaitrali. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chaitrali
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

feeding interactive shell commands

Hi, like if i want to authenticate and i 100% know the password and username i can run a script with su - username and then feed in the password through file pass.txt script.sh < pass.txt but if i don't know in which order the script is going to prompt for the input is there a way i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltoso
4 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Interactive / Non Interactive Shell script

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rits
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to write script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive shell - Give answers to shell

Hi, I have a script that calles some other scripts. Those scripts are expecting some inputs. Right no I am typing manually. But now the number of questions from other scripts are too much and I want to give asnwers autimatically. example. Other scripts gives me 2 options 1) joom... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microsim
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is login and interactive shell?

Hi Guys, Excuse if am asking silly Que ... :rolleyes: Please explain me whats difference between login and interactive shell in Linux .. Have googled but still in doubt .. :confused: --Shirish Shukla (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using an interactive command

Hello experts, I have a to write script for monitoring, the script would use a command and I plan to write the script as follows while true do command -arg sleep 2 clear done The output would be set up on a screen for monitoring. However the issue is that the command used in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interactive UNIX shell query

Hi guys, I've create 3 shells concerning my work, which named as 1.sh, 2.sh and 3.sh. However, how can I make an interactive query for these shells just like the old (fdisk) in windows9x. I want to make an interface tells the user just like this: Press 1 to execute "1.sh" Press 2 to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
5 Replies
Test::Expect(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Test::Expect(3pm)

NAME
Test::Expect - Automated driving and testing of terminal-based programs SYNOPSIS
# in a t/*.t file: use Test::Expect; use Test::More tests => 13; expect_run( command => "perl testme.pl", prompt => 'testme: ', quit => 'quit', ); expect("ping", "pong", "expect"); expect_send("ping", "expect_send"); expect_is("* Hi there, to testme", "expect_is"); expect_like(qr/Hi there, to testme/, "expect_like"); DESCRIPTION
Test::Expect is a module for automated driving and testing of terminal-based programs. It is handy for testing interactive programs which have a prompt, and is based on the same concepts as the Tcl Expect tool. As in Expect::Simple, the Expect object is made available for tweaking. Test::Expect is intended for use in a test script. SUBROUTINES
expect_run The expect_run subroutine sets up Test::Expect. You must pass in the interactive program to run, what the prompt of the program is, and which command quits the program: expect_run( command => "perl testme.pl", prompt => 'testme: ', quit => 'quit', ); expect The expect subroutine is the catch all subroutine. You pass in the command, the expected output of the subroutine and an optional comment. expect("ping", "pong", "expect"); expect_send The expect_send subroutine sends a command to the program. You pass in the command and an optional comment. expect_send("ping", "expect_send"); expect_is The expect_is subroutine tests the output of the program like Test::More's is. It has an optional comment: expect_is("* Hi there, to testme", "expect_is"); expect_like The expect_like subroutine tests the output of the program like Test::More's like. It has an optional comment: expect_like(qr/Hi there, to testme/, "expect_like"); expect_handle This returns the Expect object. expect_quit Closes the Expect handle. SEE ALSO
Expect, Expect::Simple. AUTHOR
Leon Brocard, "<acme@astray.com>" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005, Leon Brocard This module is free software; you can redistribute it or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2011-06-12 Test::Expect(3pm)