Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If user has own crontab, results in accumulation of root CRON processes Post 302392977 by Narnie on Saturday 6th of February 2010 06:59:15 PM
Old 02-06-2010
According to the info I read, ubuntu is set up for running cron at log level 1, which will send an email that the process was run or when there is an error.

I have run it on another computer without any problems, too.

I'm running 9.10

I have deleted the mailx program to see if it is hanging on the sendmail.
It tries to send the mail, but then there is no process and it seems to hang there.

This is a ps auxf with bsd-mailx (which depends postfix):

Code:
root     14693  0.0  0.0  91236  1660 ?        S    Feb05   0:00  \_ CRON
root     14694  0.0  0.0  91244  1160 ?        S    Feb05   0:00  |   \_ CRON
woodnt   14696  0.0  0.0  50152  2800 ?        S    Feb05   0:00  |       \_ /usr/sbin/sendmail -i -FCronDaemon -oem woodnt

This is with mailx/postfix unintalled:

Code:
root     31543  0.0  0.0  91236  2196 ?        S    17:47   0:00  \_ CRON
root     31544  0.0  0.0  91240  1272 ?        S    17:47   0:00      \_ CRON
woodnt   31545  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Zs   17:47   0:00          \_

Hence my belief that it has to do with mailing and cron jobs.

I've tried to run this in a terminal:

Code:
/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -Fwoodnt -oem woodnt

but never got a prompt back without Ctrl-C

Any other ideas from anyone?

Narnie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How to receive results from processes spawned on external machines using SSH

I am trying to get the number of cpus on a farm of linux boxes (about 100 of them) by 'sshing' to each of them and checking their /proc/cpuinfo file. So I have a local script localscript.sh on each of those 100 machines which retrieves the number of cpus in it by using its /proc/cpuinfo file.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waavman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give non root user sudo to "crontab -l"

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to give some users access to root's crontab but only with a read privilege. Is this possible to do or can only root or people with full root sudo view root's cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
4 Replies

3. AIX

Crontab cannot run by non-root user

Good morning everybody. I have just receiedv a complaint from our DBA saying that if he create a scripts to run some Oracle performance scripts using crontab and the scheduling part is ok but the job is failed when I checked on /var/adm/cron/log. I have tried his scripts using Oracle id directly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
4 Replies

4. Solaris

"! bad user (root)" in cron log

I am getting the following error in the cron log: ! bad user (root) Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 < root 8989 c Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 rc=1 What does this mean? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job initiating ssh AND sudo (from user, not root)

I've been bashing my head on the desk for 2 days trying to get this to work, but I've had no luck. I'll try to be as clear as possible in my explanation without dragging out the details. I'm trying to set up a cron job for user "john" which runs a script. This script initiates an ssh connection to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eh3civic
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing crontab of non-root user from file

Hi All, Ref: "build crontab from a text file" in same forum. (I am not allowed to post URL's in the first post) We are reorganizing our UNIX Crontab file by first making changes in a word pad text file. The intent is to then copy it back to Crontab. Will this work? Copy and Paste does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivedhitha
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Bad user root in crontab

Hi everyone, I got error which is "!bad user (root)" in crontab... I tried changing password, I checked etc/cron/cron.allow and cron.deny, And also I checked the permissions of my files, its(my crontab script) still not working.... Please help... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON JOB not running - for tape backup from root user

I am trying a cron on root user to backup to tape using TAR command here is the cron entry 11 08 * * 6 /erdhot1cron 2>&1 >> /test3/scripts/dba/erdhot1cron.log here is script inside - edhot1cron #!/bin/bash vsysdt=`date +%d%m%y` date tar -cvf /dev/st0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaymec50
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is CRON only for root user

Hi, i have question about cron. can we have user based cron file under /var/spool/cron or we should have only root file which can only be accessed by root user or admin and he should only be doing the task of scheduling. PKS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenkumar198
8 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)