Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assigning last line to variable in expect Post 302392267 by treesloth on Thursday 4th of February 2010 03:23:13 PM
Old 02-04-2010
Assigning last line to variable in expect

As part of an expect script, I have to convert a strange user ID to a conventional UNIX ID. To do this, I read the contents of a file and do a little awk magic. Here's that bit of the expect script:

Code:
send "awk 'NF == 10  && \$NF == strange_user_id {print \$(NF-2)}' file_with_my_info\r"
expect "\$ $"

Let's say that the output of the awk command is "bob". Once executed, afaik, the above causes the contents of expect_out(buffer) to be exactly:

Code:
awk 'NF == 10  && \$NF == strange_user_id {print \$(NF-2)}' file_with_my_info
bob
$

I can assign *all* of the buffer to a variable:

Code:
send "awk 'NF == 10  && \$NF == strange_user_id {print \$(NF-2)}' file_with_my_info\r"
 expect "\$ $"
set username $expect_out(buffer)

But all I want to assign to the variable is the last line before the prompt -- "bob". How do I do that? If it matters, I'm a little unclear about whether the prompt is actually in expect_out(buffer) or not. I might be asking how to save only the last line, or perhaps only the second-to-last. Please pardon my ignorance-- this really is my first attempt at an expect script, and the assignment of portions of output to a variable seems potentially useful.

---------- Post updated 02-04-10 at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous update was 02-03-10 at 07:11 PM ----------

(Moved thread to "Shell Programming..." from "...for Dummies")

---------- Post updated at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:24 AM ----------

Ah, ok... I think we have a winner. I learned about lindex and split, and so I added:

Code:
set resp1 $expect_out(buffer)
set resp2 [split $resp1 "\r"]
set servername [lindex $resp2 1]

That does the trick... now $servername can be called as needed later in the script. It's a little offensive to do it in two steps like that... I'll look into combining when I have time to brush up on TCL/Expect syntax.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to a variable

Is there any difference between: set variable=39 and variable=39 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning the output of a command to a variable, where there may be >1 line returned?

Hello I am using unix CLI commands for the Synergy CM software. The command basically searches for a folder ID and returns the names of the projects the folder sits in. The result is assigned to a variable: FIND_USE=`ccm folder -fu -u -f "%name"-"%version" ${FOLDER_ID}` When the command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a character from a variable and assigning it to another variable?

Hi folks. I have this variable called FirstIN that contains something like this: 001,002,003,004... I am trying to assign the content of this variable into ModifiedIN but with the following format : 001 002 003 004...(changing the commas for spaces) I thought about using sed but i am not... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Read a file and assigning each line to a variable?

Friends, I have a file output.txt with values as below: 092307135717 061910135717 I want to know how to read this file and then assign each value to a variable. say like var1=092307135717 var2=061910135717 So that I can use this VAR1 and Var2 in the shell script for further processing.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamaladevi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning value to variable have value fo other variable

my script is some thing like this i11="{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,}" echo "enter value" read value ..............suppose i11 x="$value" echo "$($value)" .............the echo should be {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,} but its showing "i11" only. plz help me out to get desired... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

EXPECT: Assign variable by reading a line of text from a file

Hi All, I have been using a program on windows called AutoKey. My environment at work is Linux and I have been experimenting with expect. Very powerful. I can move my AutoKey scripts to Linux using Expect once I am educated on how to read from a file using Expect. My application would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quemalr
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Variable to Line Numer in nl

hi, i'm creating a little menu for some users. i'm running the command: du -a /apps | sort -n -r | head -n 10 | nl i then get the top 10 files by size in the /apps directory the output is like this: 1 101415752 /apps 2 89188064 /apps/userA 3 74521335 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: horhif
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to a variable

Unable to get the value to a variable. set -x cd $HOME echo "Enter the server name" read a echo $a i=4 j=1 k = ps -ef | awk '/server1/{ print $4 }' | tail -$i | head -$j` echo $k When I do the same in command line it works, however the same does not work when I provide that in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect - assigning UNIX command output to a variable

Hi, I'm writing a script that connects through ssh (using "expect") and then is supposed to find whether a process on that remote machine is running or not. Here's my code (user, host and password are obviously replaced with real values in actual script): #!/usr/bin/expect set timeout 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oseri
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Assigning a variable to be the value of FNR at a certain line

Sorry for the probably strangely worded title but I don't really know how else to put it. Background context: Post processing LAMMPS simulation data. tl;dr: I'm making two spheres collide, every defined timestep the simulation outputs a bunch of data including total energy of the particles,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThomasP
10 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)