Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help getting rid of bold characters Post 302392225 by Corona688 on Wednesday 3rd of February 2010 05:09:08 PM
Old 02-03-2010
Try putting 'trap reset EXIT' at the top of your script. When it gets a trappable signal that forces it to quit, it should run 'reset' and make your terminal sane again before it does so.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting rid of control characters

how can i get rid of the control characters , ex. ^M, ^G, in a file? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

get rid of special characters

Hi Friends, we have recently installed RHEL4.4 and when i give the commd ls -l > tt it prints the file name with some special charactes like ^[[00m1 in the begining of the file name and at the end of the file name. I wanted to use the file names of removing it before taking the backup and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bold characters in c shell

Hi, Can someone tell me how to display characters in Bold in C shell?? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangi13
9 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Bold characters in mail

I sh, I have bold characters in a file and I want to mail file to an ID. $cat file Incorrect or invalid external email IDs in TO and CC list for email_rules: If I pass this file to mailx $ cat file | mailx -s "hi" abc@xyz.com What I get in mail is  (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangi13
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bold characters in a file using Shell script

Hi, When I am running below mentioned script then the characters become bold but after opening the same file in Windows, Instead of getting bold characters i am getting some garbage value for \033Kunal Dixit Output in Windows (after ftp the file): but in windows , i am getting My name is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunal_dixit
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making Some Characters in file BOLD

Hi All, I want to make some characters to be bold in a file. I have a file e.g aa.log which contains rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr gfgfgdaerqrqwrqerqwrwqwrqrqwrqr qqwerqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrq qwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwrqwr File is too large to view Last line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bold Characters

Hi All, How to make the characters bold in k shell. like for example "File is too large to view" to "File is too large to view" is it like echo "File is too large to view" Please advice and samples (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting rid of non-numeric and non-characters

I have a database script that always produces the following output: 0 btw, the unwanted character looks like a square on a unix system. it doesn't look like the above quote. how can I get rid of it and only keep the "0"? ---------- Post updated at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous update was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

get rid of non-alphanumeric characters

Hi! Could anyone so kindly help me a code to eliminate from a txt file, obtained by collecting and merge several web-page, every word (string) containing non alphabetical, numeric and punctuation character (i.e NON a-zA-Z0-9, underscore and punctuation mark)? Thanks a lot for the help to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting rid of abnormal Characters

i'm grepping for words in the /var/adm/messages (sun solaris). but it looks like while my grepping finds the strings, when it outputs them out, the beginning of some lines are chopped off. Jun 13 14:06:02 sky.net ufs: NOTICE: alloc: /prod: file system full 3 14:39:19 sky.net ufs: NOTICE:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)