Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed - append text to every line Post 302391359 by jgrogan on Monday 1st of February 2010 06:13:27 AM
Old 02-01-2010
sed - append text to every line

Hi all

I tried this on an old version of sed on NCR Unix MP-RAS:

Code:
sed -e "s/$/nnn/" file1 >file2

This file (file1):
Code:
the cat sat on the mat.
the cat sat on the mat.

the cat sat on the mat.

becomes this (file2):
Code:
the cat sat on the mat.nnn
nnn

Now, I tried to port this sed script to GNU sed v.4.1.5 on RHEL5. Using the same script:

Code:
sed -e "s/$/nnn/" file1 >file2

my output looks like this:
Code:
nnn cat sat on the mat.
nnn cat sat on the mat.
nnn
nnn cat sat on the mat.

I tried awk instead of sed...
Code:
awk '{print $0 "nnn"} file1 >file2

but get the same results from both platforms (MP-RAS appends to end of line, RHEL overtypes first 3 chars of each line).

Any ideas why? Any ideas how to fix - I am running out of ideas.

TIA for any insight...

BRgds
JG

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed to append text to the end of each line

Anyone know how to use SED to append a comma to the end of each line example: field1,field2,field3,field4 If i Cat /textfile ---- How can i append the end of /textfile with a comman? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redg
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append line with sed?

Input: gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly Output should be: gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly How can it be done with sed? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append text to the second line of a file

Say I have a text file like: 1 3 4 How would I use ksh to put the number '2' into the second line of that file? I'm using OpenBSD so the sed syntax might be a bit different (I have no idea how to use sed, though) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

append each line with text

hi, I've a file with some text in it, i need to append few strings in the beginning and end of each row. --in file richie matt .. --out file hi, 'richie' is here hi, 'matt' is here ... I tried with awk command, but it fails because of ' Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append text to end of every line

I've scoured the internet with mixed results. As an amateur I turn to the great minds here. I have a text file of 80 or so lines. I want to add ".pdf" to the end of each line. (For now that's it) Most of the internet points toward using "sed". I don't know coding but can figure things out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacebase
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a certain line and append text to the end of the line

After I create printer queues in AIX, I have to append a filter file location within that printers custom file. within lets say test_queue.txt I need to find the row that starts with :699 and then I need to append on the end the string /usr/local/bin/k_portrait.sh. Now I've gotten the sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peachclift
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed append without using new line

im trying to append to the end of the line using sed but I want to do it without creating a new line the text to which I want to append is all in capital letters. I want to do something like this: LINE]Foo but when I do this: //a\ ] Foo it prints foo on a new line: LINE ]Foo ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrjavoman
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search text and append using SED?

I have file . cat hello.txt Hello World I would like to append a string "Today " so the output is cat hello.txt Hello World Today I dont know which line number does the "Hello World" appears otherwise I could have used the Line number to search and append . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to append text to filenames if text not already present

I have some html with hrefs that contain local links to pdf filenames. These filenames should have standardised names, i.e. there should be a label prior to the ".pdf" filename suffix. There can be many of these links on a single line of text and some may already have the label. For example ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: adb
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-belnstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -l Set an exclusive advisory lock on the standard output file descriptor. This lock is set using fcntl(2) with the F_SETLKW command. If the output file is already locked, cat will block until the lock is acquired. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (e.g., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), fcntl(2), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-belnstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
January 29, 2013 BSD