Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alias in solaris
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Alias in solaris Post 302391333 by pludi on Monday 1st of February 2010 03:46:03 AM
Old 02-01-2010
How exactly can an alias for clear be important & urgent enough to validate a violation of Rule 4
Quote:
(4) Do not 'bump up' questions if they are not answered promptly. No duplicate or cross-posting and do not report a post or send a private message where your goal is to get an answer more quickly.
As for your question: if you don't have it, create it. .bashrc is a simple bash script, the only difference to a regular script is that it's read for every new interactive shell. A minimal would look like this:
Code:
if [ -r ~/.aliases ]
then
    . ~/.aliases
fi

which would read your alias from the ~/.aliases file (as soon as you put it there).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias

Hello, I'm a beginner to Unix and I want to create an alias that lists the given directory in long format; the alias should use a pager to display the result. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guelpth
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

alias

Hello, I'm trying to create an alias that will show the path name of a current directory when a user cd's into any directory. I have tried the following: alias cd ' cd | pwd ' This just lists the current directory, even when I cd to another directory the alias just lists my home... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: klannon
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias help

Hello again, what does \!* do int his line alias lookup 'grep -i \!* who.is.who' Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kris888
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Alias

Hi, I have a software package consisting of a group of BASH shell scripts. There is a master script which calls a series of subscripts. To run the software users must open the master script, modify and save it, and then run it. To open the script you can either double-click on it, or you can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias

Hi, I have created alias in UNIX environment (ie in .cshrc file). But when i use the alias in the UNIX script, getting an error message as that is not found. But when i use that alias, outside the script it is working fine. Let me know if you need more details For example: alias cderror... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen_5960
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Alias setting in Solaris

Hi All, I need some information on 'Alias' setting in SUN SOLARIS.:confused: Q1. I want to know how can i set my alias here. Q2. How to view all set 'ALIAS' for me. (say /home/jdash user) Q3. Can i modify the set 'Alias' for me or for whole environment. Q4. Is Alias setting can be change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdash.ps
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to create alias in bash Sun solaris

Hello Friends, I am facing problem in creating aliases. I am working in SunOS 5.10. When I login in system i have been given ksh shell. What i am doing is that ? I am changing shell to bash then I am creating 2 alias in command prompt like: alias deploy_dir=' cd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
4 Replies

9. Solaris

How to set a global alias in UNIX Solaris?

Defined a user alias in unix. Not able to use that alias in a ksh scritp. I dont want to change/source in the script to set the value. Need to set the user alias as a gloabal alias to use it in a new ksh shell window. Can you please help on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP Alias

Quick question Have a AIX system that has been up for years with a 192.9.x.x IP scheme and we want to add a second IP to the system. I setup the second IP 10.1.x.x as an alias via smit. Since these two IP's are on different VLANs will this be an issue? Reason I ask is that I cannot ping... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisp
3 Replies
MH-ALIAS(5)                                                          [nmh-1.5]                                                         MH-ALIAS(5)

NAME
mh-alias - alias file for nmh message system SYNOPSIS
any nmh command DESCRIPTION
This describes both nmh personal alias files and the global alias file for nmh mail delivery, the file /etc/nmh/MailAliases It does not describe aliases files used by the message transport system. Each line of the alias file has the format: alias : address-group or alias ; address-group or < alias-file or ; comment where: address-group := address-list | < file | = UNIX-group | + UNIX-group | * address-list := address | address-list, address Continuation lines in alias files end with `' followed by the newline character. "Alias-file" and "file" are UNIX file names. UNIX-group is a group name (or number) from /etc/group. An address is a "simple" Inter- net-style address. Througout this file, case is ignored, except for file names. If the line starts with a `<', then the file named after the `<' is read for more alias definitions. The reading is done recursively, so a `<' may occur in the beginning of an alias file with the expected results. If the address-group starts with a `<', then the file named after the `<' is read and its contents are added to the address-list for the alias. If the address-group starts with an `=', then the file /etc/group is consulted for the UNIX-group named after the `='. Each login name occurring as a member of the group is added to the address-list for the alias. In contrast, if the address-group starts with a `+', then the file /etc/group is consulted to determine the group-id of the UNIX-group named after the `+'. Each login name occurring in the /etc/passwd file whose group-id is indicated by this group is added to the address-list for the alias. If the address-group is simply `*', then the file /etc/passwd is consulted and all login names with a userid greater than some magic number (usually 200) are added to the address-list for the alias. In match, a trailing "*" on an alias will match just about anything appropriate. (See example below.) An approximation of the way aliases are resolved at posting time is (it's not really done this way): 1) Build a list of all addresses from the message to be delivered, eliminating duplicate addresses. 2) If this draft originated on the local host, then for those addresses in the message that have no host specified, perform alias resolu- tion. 3) For each line in the alias file, compare "alias" against all of the existing addresses. If a match, remove the matched "alias" from the address list, and add each new address in the address-group to the address list if it is not already on the list. The alias itself is not usually output, rather the address-group that the alias maps to is output instead. If "alias" is terminated with a `;' instead of a `:', then both the "alias" and the address are output in the correct format. (This makes replies possible since nmh aliases and personal aliases are unknown to the mail transport system.) Since the alias file is read line by line, forward references work, but backward references are not recognized, thus, there is no recur- sion. Example Alias File: </etc/nmh/BBoardAliases sgroup: fred, fear, freida b-people: Blind List: bill, betty; fred: frated@UCI UNIX-committee: <unix.aliases staff: =staff wheels: +wheel everyone: * news.*: news The first line says that more aliases should immediately be read from the file /etc/nmh/BBoardAliases. Following this, "fred" is defined as an alias for "frated@UCI", and "sgroup" is defined as an alias for the three names "frated@UCI", "fear", and "freida". The alias "b-people" is a blind list which includes the addresses "bill" and "betty"; the message will be delieved to those addresses, but the message header will show only "Blind List: ;" (not the addresses). Next, the definition of "UNIX-committee" is given by reading the file unix.aliases in the users nmh directory, "staff" is defined as all users who are listed as members of the group "staff" in the /etc/group file, and "wheels" is defined as all users whose group-id in /etc/passwd is equivalent to the "wheel" group. Finally, "everyone" is defined as all users with a user-id in /etc/passwd greater than 200, and all aliases of the form "news.<anything>" are defined to be "news". The key thing to understand about aliasing in nmh is that aliases in nmh alias files are expanded into the headers of messages posted. This aliasing occurs first, at posting time, without the knowledge of the message transport system. In contrast, once the message trans- port system is given a message to deliver to a list of addresses, for each address that appears to be local, a system-wide alias file is consulted. These aliases are NOT expanded into the headers of messages delivered. HELPFUL HINTS
To use aliasing in nmh quickly, do the following: 1) In your .mh_profile, choose a name for your alias file, say "aliases", and add the line: Aliasfile: aliases 2) Create the file "aliases" in your nmh directory. 3) Start adding aliases to your "aliases" file as appropriate. FILES
/etc/nmh/MailAliases global nmh alias file PROFILE COMPONENTS
Aliasfile: For a default alias file SEE ALSO
ali(1), send(1), whom(1), group(5), passwd(5), conflict(8), post(8) CONTEXT
None BUGS
Although the forward-referencing semantics of mh-alias files prevent recursion, the "< alias-file" command may defeat this. Since the num- ber of file descriptors is finite (and very limited), such infinite recursion will terminate with a meaningless diagnostic when all the fds are used up. Forward references do not work correctly inside blind lists. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MH-ALIAS(5)