Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is there any way to add to a tarball made in this fashion Post 302390737 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 28th of January 2010 11:14:51 PM
Old 01-29-2010
Code:
gunzip .wine.tar.gz
tar -Avf .wine.tar [more files - directories]
gzip wine.tar

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting lines in a particular fashion

i have some 100 of lines from a script o/p into a file called naveed.txt below some of the lines: 1-GH32X, CC, AMR, Number of Intervals Not Inserted: 1 / 95 1-150KP1, CC, AMR, Number of Intervals Not Inserted: 1 / 96 1-VWEMR, CC, AMR, Number of Intervals Not Inserted: 1 / 98 1-15HM1A, CC,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Size of a tarball without untarring - Catch parent tar ball has sub tars

hi, I am in a weird situation. I have a parent tarball which contains 2 sub tarballs. The structure is such : Parent.tar.gz ---- > child1.tar.gz and child2.tar.gz I need to get the size of the parent tarball without untaring it I know that the command is gunzip -c parent.tar.gz | wc -c ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack individual files from tarball

Say you don't want to unpack the whole thing, just individual files or directories within a .tgz. How to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevensw
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tarball of current directory

I wanna make a backup tarball. I wanna write a script that makes tarball of the current directory. There are lots of files so I cant type all files, I wanna make the tarball by excluding few files. Like there 1000 files in a directory I wanna create a tarball containing 98 files of that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract compressed tarball to folder?

This is for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.7 (Tikanga). Wanna extract entire contents of a tar.gz to a folder of my choosing. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Self extracting tarball

I was wondering if anyone can point me to some topics, material, or tutorials that can help me write a shell script that creates a second script that is a Self-extracting tarball. Don't want any actual code obviously because this is a school project, but I feel my teacher didn't well cover the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: canes27
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating a tarball on Solaris issue with errors

Hi All, We are planning to migrate from Solaris to AIX, and we have a requirement to move all files modified in last 7 days to AIX. i found many helpful forums on this site but somehow the issue was still not solved: Used the following command from the directory which we want to scan ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil8
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I add a log file path to a vi file to monitor all the changes made to the file?

I'm curious to know how do I add an empty log file (test1.log) to an existing text file to monitor all the changes made to a.txt. Is this expression export PATH=$PATH:/home/test1.log right to be added to the text file a.txt? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestKing
5 Replies
SHTOOL-TARBALL.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					     SHTOOL-TARBALL.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-tarball - GNU shtool command for rolling standardized tarballs SYNOPSIS
shtool tarball [-t|--trace] [-v|--verbose] [-o|--output tarball] [-c|--compress prog] [-d|--directory directory] [-u|--user user] [-g|--group group] [-e|--exclude pattern] path [path ...] DESCRIPTION
This command is for rolling input files under path into a distribution tarballs which can be extracted by tar(1). The four important aspects of good open source software tarballs are: (1) unpack into a single top-level directory, (2) top-level directory corresponds to the tarball filename, (3) tarball files should be sorted and (4) arbitrary names for file owner and group. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -o, --output tarball Output tarball to file tarball. -c, --compress prog Pipe resulting tarball through compression program prog. -d, --directory directory Sets the top-level directory into which the tarball unpacks. By default it is tarball without the trailing ".tar.*" extension. -u, --user user The user (owner) of files and directories in the tarball to user. -g, --group group The group of files and directories in the tarball to group. -e, --exclude pattern Exclude files and directories matching comma-separated list of regex pattern from the tarball. Directories are expanded before the filtering takes place. The default filter pattern is ""CVS,\.cvsignore,\.svn,\.[oa]$"". EXAMPLE
# Makefile.in dist: ... V=`shtool version -d short ...`; shtool tarball -o foobar-$$V.tar.gz -c 'gzip -9' -u bar -g gnu -e 'CVS,.cvsignore' . HISTORY
The GNU shtool tarball command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1999 for GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), tar(1), compress(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-TARBALL.TMP(1)