Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please help with monitoring stuff Post 302390594 by EAGL€ on Thursday 28th of January 2010 10:53:22 AM
Old 01-28-2010
Hi,

if you are not sure when the server will be started then you can write two scripts, first one will check if server is started or not. Then place this script into crontab and set its check (running) period according to your requirements and your system performance; lets say 15 seconds everyday, or 1 day of month or one day of every week etc.. Then add a conditional part into the first script so that you can trigger the second script with grep part.

lets say:

Code:
if [ -e  "/LOGS/applications_backup/output.txt" ]; then ##server start log##
cd scripts_directory
./log_check_script
else
echo "server not started"
exit 0
fi

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple stuff.

I hacked my TIVO a few months ago. I made a computer specifically for this, but I only used a UNIX boot disk to get all the TIVO goodies to work. I am intersted in getting some version of UNIX on this machine and getting it onto my network. I only want to do some simple file transfers, maybe... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IamJAWA
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

weird stuff

I coudln't think of another topic to post this under as the OS on the system is XP pro. Ok here is the go. I'm upgrdaing a mates computer. A AMD 1200Mhz and well it wouldn't boot from the CD to do a fresh install (By upgrade I mean OS with complete new install). So I opened up the box and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

A schoolboyish stuff

Hi , This is a pretty simple sed command i found when i was checking out one of the codes of my colleague . sed -e 's/\*.*\) \(\ <1*e\ >\) \(*.*\)/\2/' When i tried this on a few text files it was displaying the entire line. If this was to display entire line why sweat out on a sed . Does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk stuff

Hi, My input file data will be |ABCD|EFGH|IJKL|MNOP |ABCD|EF\|GH|IJKL|MNOP I am expecting output , |"ABCD"|"EFGH"|"IJKL"|"MNOP" |"ABCD"|"EF|GH"|"IJKL"|"MNOP" Note : The change basically the pipe deilmited file does contain | as value for some of the column but | will come with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
8 Replies

5. Programming

More Arduino Stuff...

HI all... (Apologies for any typos.) To add to Neo's Arduino subject matter I have decided to upload this in ".zip" format. Ignore "*.info" files these are AMIGA icons only and also the "HAM" drawer as these are photos in ancient AMIGA HAM modes. I have noticed that there are current... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies
SAFE_FINGER(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    SAFE_FINGER(8)

NAME
safe_finger - finger client wrapper that protects against nasty stuff from finger servers SYNOPSIS
safe_finger [finger_options] DESCRIPTION
The safe_finger command protects against nasty stuff from finger servers. Use this program for automatic reverse finger probes from the tcp_wrapper (tcpd) , not the raw finger command. The safe_finger command makes sure that the finger client is not run with root privileges. It also runs the finger client with a defined PATH environment. safe_finger will also protect you from problems caused by the output of some finger servers. The problem: some programs may react to stuff in the first column. Other programs may get upset by thrash anywhere on a line. File systems may fill up as the finger server keeps sending data. Text editors may bomb out on extremely long lines. The finger server may take forever because it is somehow wedged. safe_finger takes care of all this badness. SEE ALSO
hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5), tcpd(8) AUTHOR
Wietse Venema, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands. Linux 21th June 1997 SAFE_FINGER(8)