Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming read() blocks process until the stream is closed Post 302390310 by Loic Domaigne on Wednesday 27th of January 2010 01:51:54 PM
Old 01-27-2010
Hallo Jens,

so I have a good and a bad news. The good news: I found the reason for your problem. The stream stdout is normally "line-buffered", but become block-buffered (e.g. 8Kb) when stdout is not connected to a terminal (for instance, when stdout is redirected to a pipe or a file)... This can be simply seen if you invoke factor as follows
Code:
factor | more
(no output)
x
factor: `x' is not a valid positive integer
123: 3 41
456: 2 2 2 3 19

The 'x' causes a message on stderr stream, and stdout to be flushed.

There are solutions to this problem, but those are not necessarily straightforward. That's the bad news. Basically, you have to let the child process think that it is attached to a pseudo-terminal. On Linux, this can be achieved using forkpty(). More info on this technique can be found here: rmathew: Terminal Sickness

If you want to play with bidirectional pipes, I suggest you to have a binary that you control (e.g. a shell script, or a C-program from you) where you can flush the stdout stream.

Cheers,
Loïc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Stream Read And Write Queues

Is there any possibility that a Stream Read and Write queues will interchange messages of any kind. If so what are the different possiblites and under what circumstances ? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.P.Prasad
4 Replies

2. Programming

How to know a new file is in process of creating? It has not been closed.

I am programming some data loader of oracle with unix c, when I find new data file, then read it to database and delete it. but one issue, if the file is in process of creating, not been closed yet. I will read zero or part of data content, this will cause problem. I want to know whether some unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linkjack
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host Connection closed

Hi Everyone, Good day. Scenario: 2 unix servers -- A (SunOS) and B (AIX) I have an ftp script to sftp 30 files from A to B which happen almost instantaneously i.e 30 sftp's happen at the same time. Some of these sftp's fail with the following error: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeevan_fimare
1 Replies

4. Programming

read input-process-output

Can you help me ? I want to write a program ,which can open a input file (input.txt) and run as child process ,then write to output file (output.txt)....... char inFile="input.txt"; char outFile="output.txt"; int main(int argc, char **argv) { pid_t pid=1; int no=0; // no. of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cupid1575
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read text in blocks

Hi, I have file which contains information written in blocks (every block is different). Is it possible to read every block one by one to another file (one block per file). The input is something like this <block1> <empty line> <block2> <empty line> ... ... ... <block25> <empty... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: art84_)LV
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Video stream] network stream recording with mplayer

Hi I used this command: mplayer http://host/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi -user root -passwd root \ -cache 1024 -fps 25.0 -nosound -vc ffh264 \ -demuxer 3 -dumpstream -dumpfile output.avi It's ok but... Video Playing is very fast! Why? Is it a synch problem? What parameter I have to use for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: takeo.kikuta
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert 512-blocks to 4k blocks

I'm Unix. I'm looking at "df" on Unix now and below is an example. It's lists the filesystems out in 512-blocks, I need this in 4k blocks. Is there a way to do this in Unix or do I manually convert and how? So for container 1 there is 7,340,032 in size in 512-blocks. What would the 4k block be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockycj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read data from given filename or stream

I have a script that takes 2 parameters (say) as mandatory script1.sh a b The 3rd parameter can be filename which it should process or it can come through a pipeline stream The script should work both ways: script1.sh a b filec or cat filec | script1.sh a b How to put logic in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row blocks to column blocks

Hello, Searched for a while and found some "line-to-column" script. My case is similar but with multiple fields each row: S02 Length Per S02 7043 3.864 S02 54477 29.89 S02 104841 57.52 S03 Length Per S03 1150 0.835 S03 1321 0.96 S03 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies
STDIN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  STDIN(3)

NAME
stdin, stdout, stderr -- standard I/O streams SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> extern FILE *stdin; extern FILE *stdout; extern FILE *stderr; DESCRIPTION
Under normal circumstances every Unix program has three streams opened for it when it starts up, one for input, one for output, and one for printing diagnostic or error messages. These are typically attached to the user's terminal (see tty(4)) but might instead refer to files or other devices, depending on what the parent process chose to set up. (See also the ``Redirection'' section of sh(1) .) The input stream is referred to as ``standard input''; the output stream is referred to as ``standard output''; and the error stream is referred to as ``standard error''. These terms are abbreviated to form the symbols used to refer to these files, namely stdin, stdout, and stderr. Each of these symbols is a stdio(3) macro of type pointer to FILE, and can be used with functions like fprintf(3) or fread(3). Since FILEs are a buffering wrapper around Unix file descriptors, the same underlying files may also be accessed using the raw Unix file interface, that is, the functions like read(2) and lseek(2). The integer file descriptors associated with the streams stdin, stdout, and stderr are 0, 1, and 2, respectively. The preprocessor symbols STDIN_FILENO, STDOUT_FILENO, and STDERR_FILENO are defined with these values in <unistd.h>. Note that mixing use of FILEs and raw file descriptors can produce unexpected results and should generally be avoided. (For the masochistic among you: POSIX.1, section 8.2.3, describes in detail how this interaction is supposed to work.) A general rule is that file descriptors are handled in the kernel, while stdio is just a library. This means for example, that after an exec, the child inherits all open file descriptors, but all old streams have become inaccessible. Since the symbols stdin, stdout, and stderr are specified to be macros, assigning to them is non-portable. The standard streams can be made to refer to different files with help of the library function freopen(3), specially introduced to make it possible to reassign stdin, stdout, and stderr. The standard streams are closed by a call to exit(3) and by normal program termination. SEE ALSO
sh(1), csh(1), open(2), fopen(3), stdio(3) CONSIDERATIONS
The stream stderr is unbuffered. The stream stdout is line-buffered when it points to a terminal. Partial lines will not appear until fflush(3) or exit(3) is called, or a newline is printed. This can produce unexpected results, especially with debugging output. The buffer- ing mode of the standard streams (or any other stream) can be changed using the setbuf(3) or setvbuf(3) call. Note that in case stdin is associated with a terminal, there may also be input buffering in the terminal driver, entirely unrelated to stdio buffering. (Indeed, nor- mally terminal input is line buffered in the kernel.) This kernel input handling can be modified using calls like tcsetattr(3); see also stty(1), and termios(3). CONFORMING TO
The stdin, stdout, and stderr macros conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''), and this standard also stipulates that these three streams shall be open at program startup. Linux 2.0 March 24, 1998 Linux 2.0