Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Moving Content from one file to another with variables Post 302390075 by fubaya on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 11:42:16 PM
Old 01-27-2010
Code:
cat file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 > outfile
var=$(cat outfile)

or if you want to skip creating the new file:

Code:
var=$(cat file1 file2 file3 file4 file5)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put content of file into variables

How to put a line of strings (with some white spaces in between) from a file into variables? I have tried the following codes. However, the content is cut by space (not by line) for i in `cat ${source_file}` do echo $i done Please comment. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rock
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file moving based on file content

Hi All my scenario is as follows... I have the following three files in directory alphabet, containing the respective character string... Filename Character String alphabet01.dat AAA alphabet02.dat BBB alphabet03.dat CCC based on... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: melvyn.cochrane
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing content of 2 variables in script

hello how can i compare the content of two variables using the if or for loops. I have 2 variables which was formed as result of commands pass into them but i want to now compare the 2 contents and echo where their is a match for examples variable1=`cat file2` variable2=`cat file3` if #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam4now
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving variables to another variable as a new avriable

Somehow I can't get it for this basic bash problem. maybe someone can help. What I try to do is: a="world" b="hello" how can I move this into $c so that I can replace "helloworld" with "world hello" in sed like: sed "s/\helloworld/ ${c}... I tried several combinations but all with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

list file content as individual variables

Hello, I've created a couple of files within a list using the command "ls -ltr | tail -2 > list" These files are the newest files placed within a directory. From the "list" file, I need to place the filenames as a variable. In which the newest file will be called "new_ctrl" the older file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in perl; moving or copying the variables

Hi All, I have a perl script blc.pl; i have five variables a,b,c,d and e in this script. Now I want to copy the values of these variables into a data file,say abc.dat.. Can anybody please tell me how to do this? Any help is appreciated.. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneetkanchi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing content of two variables

I have very abstract need of "comparing two variables" and take subsequent actions. please refer to image below https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-frNk5iA3q1c/TjI3lE0sWOI/AAAAAAAAAIE/fxzB1w07gas/script_block.JPG I have a part of script which reads a file and generates variables based on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from one directory to another based on 2 date variables

Hi All, I am currently coding for a requirement(LINUX OS) where I am supposed to move a file (Lets Call it Employee.txt) from Directory A to Directory B based on 2 date fields as below, Date_Current = 20120620 Date_Previous = 20120610 Source Directory : /iis_data/source Target... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
11 Replies

9. Red Hat

Moving of file content to another two files after searching with specific pattern

Hello, Please help me with this!! Thanks in advance!! I have a file named file.gc with the content: 1-- Mon Sep 10 08:53:09 CDT 2012 2revoke connect from FR2261; 3delete from mkt_allow where grantee = 'FR2261'; 4grant connect to FR2261 with '******'; 5alter user FR2261 comment... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for moving one file with date content in name

Dear All, I am having a database that generates daily backup files in the below format. abc_date_0010.zip. Can you please suggest a method to copy the last day's file to another location. I am trying with if statement, but having difficulty while I use the condition like if ; then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooby
4 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)