Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Samba smb not started on Redhat Enterprise Post 302390032 by lamoul on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 04:43:51 PM
Old 01-26-2010
Samba smb not started on Redhat Enterprise

Hi

i installed samba-client-3.0.23c-2 on Redhat Server but cat not start
#service smb start. it gives error
unrecognized smb

I checked
samba-common-3.0.23c-2
# rpm -qa |grep smb
pam_smb-1.1.7-7.2.1

# rpm -qa |grep samba
samba3-client-3.2.15-40.el5

Could someone help please?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Samba 2.2.5 smb.conf for noobies

Is there a generic smb.conf file that should work on all systems? Right now I am running Red Hat 7.3 and also have 3XP machines and 1 2000 pro. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GJC
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Security Standards for Redhat Enterprise 3...

Hi all, Thanks for reading and any posts. Quick question, has anyone out there got any suggestions for standards of security for Redhat enterprise 3. We are making an RAC cluster Oracle application using Oracle 9i (hopefully moving to 10g sooner rather than later). Thanks again for any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba - smb files

I found this tutorial "Setting Samba in 10 min". It says there that command "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start or stop, or /sbin/service/smb restart should do this functions. But this doesn't work for me. Wrong dir. I don't even have "rc.d" dir. Where should I look for this samba files? In samba dir all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salvor_hardin
1 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Samba (SMB) client fails: "Called name not present"

Hi, I issue smbclient on a Linux REd hat server : smbclient -L ***.16.0.42 -U domaine/Administrator Password: Domain= OS= Server= Domain= OS= Server= Sharename Type Comment --------- ---- ------- IPC$ IPC IPC distant ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Redhat Enterprise version 4 RHEL4 patches

Hi, I would like to know if should i patch my system and sshd based on the version that i have here below: cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 5) ------------ uname -a: redhat kernel version and type (64-bit or not) Linux server2 2.6.9-55.ELsmp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redhat 5 enterprise auto kill script

hi all do i need to add rc. prefix on the stop script all the time especially on redhat 5 enterprise? like below ln -s /etc/init.d/rc.stopdb2 /etc/rc0.d/K01rc.stopdb2 and on the /etc/rc.local, i need to add this only touch /var/lock/subsys/stopdb2 Is that going to work? thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Login failed in Redhat Enterprise 6.2

When i finished installation the Redhat Enterprise Linux 6.2, and login to the system, I can't login although username: root and Password correct. I install on the Hp Blade Server. I don't know why. How to fix this error? who can help me? :confused: Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinhdangnd
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Redhat enterprise 6.2 virtulazation KVM NOT supporting more than 40GB

Hello, I have installed Red Hat 6.2 version & KVM installed, file system limited is only 40GB, how do i create more than 40 GB ( I need to install more than 100 GB file system ) Could you please me. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Inamadugu
2 Replies

9. Fedora

Redhat Linux Enterprise edition 6.4

Hi, please can any one tell me where can i download redhat linux 6.4 for training purpose? thanks & Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: younusdba
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

NFS service not started in Redhat Cluster

Hi All, Need your help to resolve below error in cluter. Sep 9 05:37:30 node2 rgmanager: Starting disabled service service:Prod_Service Sep 9 05:37:30 node2 rgmanager: HA LVM: Improper setup detected Sep 9 05:37:30 node2 rgmanager: * initrd image needs to be newer than lvm.conf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinredekar
3 Replies
LIBSMBCLIENT(7) 							 7							   LIBSMBCLIENT(7)

NAME
libsmbclient - An extension library for browsers and that can be used as a generic browsing API. SYNOPSIS
Browser URL: smb://[[[domain:]user[:password@]]server[/share[/path[/file]]]] [?options] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. libsmbclient is a library toolset that permits applications to manipulate CIFS/SMB network resources using many of the standards POSIX functions available for manipulating local UNIX/Linux files. It permits much more than just browsing, files can be opened and read or written, permissions changed, file times modified, attributes and ACL's can be manipulated, and so on. Of course, its functionality includes all the capabilities commonly called browsing. libsmbclient can not be used directly from the command line, instead it provides an extension of the capabilities of tools such as file managers and browsers. This man page describes the configuration options for this tool so that the user may obtain greatest utility of use. OPTIONS
What the URLs mean: smb:// Shows all workgroups or domains that are visible in the network. The behavior matches that of the Microsoft Windows Explorer. The method of locating the list of workgroups (domains also) varies depending on the setting of the context variable (context->options.browse_max_lmb_count). It is the responsibility of the application that calls this library to set this to a sensible value. This is a compile-time option. This value determines the maximum number of local master browsers to query for the list of workgroups. In order to ensure that the list is complete for those present on the network, all master browsers must be queried. If there are a large number of workgroups on the network, the time spent querying will be significant. For small networks (just a few workgroups), it is suggested to set this value to 0, instructing libsmbclient to query all local master browsers. In an environment that has many workgroups a more reasonable setting may be around 3. smb://name/ This command causes libsmbclient to perform a name look-up. If the NAME<1D> or NAME<1B> exists (workgroup name), libsmbclient will list all servers in the workgroup (or domain). Otherwise, a name look-up for the NAME<20> (machine name) will be performed, and the list of shared resources on the server will be displayed. When libsmbclient is invoked by an application it searches for a directory called .smb in the $HOME directory that is specified in the users shell environment. It then searches for a file called smb.conf which, if present, will fully over-ride the system /etc/samba/smb.conf file. If instead libsmbclient finds a file called ~/.smb/smb.conf.append, it will read the system /etc/samba/smb.conf and then append the contents of the ~/.smb/smb.conf.append to it. libsmbclient will check the users shell environment for the USER parameter and will use its value when if the user parameter was not included in the URL. PROGRAMMERS GUIDE
Watch this space for future updates. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The libsmbclient manpage page was written by John H Terpstra. Samba 4.0 06/17/2014 LIBSMBCLIENT(7)