Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming read() blocks process until the stream is closed Post 302389990 by Loic Domaigne on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 02:44:49 PM
Old 01-26-2010
Hi Jens,

yeah, my bad. I prototyped using a parent/child... But setvbuf() settings are not preserved across an exec()! Besides that, I am not sure that it has to do with your specific problem... I need to dig further. Perhaps you could tell us what this 'factor' is? a shell script?

Bis Dann,
Loïc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Stream Read And Write Queues

Is there any possibility that a Stream Read and Write queues will interchange messages of any kind. If so what are the different possiblites and under what circumstances ? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.P.Prasad
4 Replies

2. Programming

How to know a new file is in process of creating? It has not been closed.

I am programming some data loader of oracle with unix c, when I find new data file, then read it to database and delete it. but one issue, if the file is in process of creating, not been closed yet. I will read zero or part of data content, this will cause problem. I want to know whether some unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linkjack
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host Connection closed

Hi Everyone, Good day. Scenario: 2 unix servers -- A (SunOS) and B (AIX) I have an ftp script to sftp 30 files from A to B which happen almost instantaneously i.e 30 sftp's happen at the same time. Some of these sftp's fail with the following error: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeevan_fimare
1 Replies

4. Programming

read input-process-output

Can you help me ? I want to write a program ,which can open a input file (input.txt) and run as child process ,then write to output file (output.txt)....... char inFile="input.txt"; char outFile="output.txt"; int main(int argc, char **argv) { pid_t pid=1; int no=0; // no. of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cupid1575
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read text in blocks

Hi, I have file which contains information written in blocks (every block is different). Is it possible to read every block one by one to another file (one block per file). The input is something like this <block1> <empty line> <block2> <empty line> ... ... ... <block25> <empty... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: art84_)LV
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Video stream] network stream recording with mplayer

Hi I used this command: mplayer http://host/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi -user root -passwd root \ -cache 1024 -fps 25.0 -nosound -vc ffh264 \ -demuxer 3 -dumpstream -dumpfile output.avi It's ok but... Video Playing is very fast! Why? Is it a synch problem? What parameter I have to use for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: takeo.kikuta
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert 512-blocks to 4k blocks

I'm Unix. I'm looking at "df" on Unix now and below is an example. It's lists the filesystems out in 512-blocks, I need this in 4k blocks. Is there a way to do this in Unix or do I manually convert and how? So for container 1 there is 7,340,032 in size in 512-blocks. What would the 4k block be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockycj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read data from given filename or stream

I have a script that takes 2 parameters (say) as mandatory script1.sh a b The 3rd parameter can be filename which it should process or it can come through a pipeline stream The script should work both ways: script1.sh a b filec or cat filec | script1.sh a b How to put logic in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row blocks to column blocks

Hello, Searched for a while and found some "line-to-column" script. My case is similar but with multiple fields each row: S02 Length Per S02 7043 3.864 S02 54477 29.89 S02 104841 57.52 S03 Length Per S03 1150 0.835 S03 1321 0.96 S03 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies
FORK(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork -- create a new process SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void); DESCRIPTION
fork() causes creation of a new process. The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process (parent process) except for the following: o The child process has a unique process ID. o The child process has a different parent process ID (i.e., the process ID of the parent process). o The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors. These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for instance, file pointers in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that an lseek(2) on a descriptor in the child process can affect a subsequent read or write by the parent. This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to establish standard input and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes. o The child processes resource utilizations are set to 0; see setrlimit(2). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, fork() returns a value of 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fork() will fail and no child process will be created if: [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded. This limit is configuration- dependent. [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit MAXUPRC (<sys/param.h>) on the total number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded. [ENOMEM] There is insufficient swap space for the new process. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> The include file <sys/types.h> is necessary. SEE ALSO
execve(2), sigaction(2), wait(2), compat(5) HISTORY
A fork() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. CAVEATS
There are limits to what you can do in the child process. To be totally safe you should restrict yourself to only executing async-signal safe operations until such time as one of the exec functions is called. All APIs, including global data symbols, in any framework or library should be assumed to be unsafe after a fork() unless explicitly documented to be safe or async-signal safe. If you need to use these frame- works in the child process, you must exec. In this situation it is reasonable to exec yourself. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution