Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Copy and paste text from a word document into a txt file in vi Post 302389965 by goltek on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 01:40:32 PM
Old 01-26-2010
copy all word doc.
vi new_file.txt
change to insert mode (press i), insert copied text (which in the memory).
It should work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/Paste text as commands in AIX

Hello, I'm absolutely new to this world... but I've a problem with a terminal connected via PuTTY (or Termlite) to an AIX 5.1 application. The problem: I need to paste from clipboard a text containing both input text strings and special keys as ESC, Arrows and so on, to execute in the AIX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniele11
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mutt - Word Document or Formatted text as a Message

Hi, I am writing a mailing script by using mutt command. I that i have facing a issues. because, i want to send Some Formatted text as the mail message. but, i try to send the Word Document file as the Mail message. it shows some junk characters in the mail. :confused:I think the mutt command is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krsenkumar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Paste a word in the third field position of a file

Hi All, I have a file like this, 0.0.0.1 /account 327706,Data Cleansing,,,CRM error,100,0 The above line is a comma separted data file. I want to modify the third field to The final data file should be like 0.0.0.1 /account 327706,Data Cleansing,,,CRM error,100,0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and Paste to a new document

Hello, I am quite new to shell scripting so don't know all the tools available. What I'm trying to do is open a file optimal.txt search for objectiveValue and copy the number in quotes next to it. e.g. ... solutionName="incumbent" solutionIndex="-1" objectiveValue="13246" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: StephanR
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy contents of unix file to Word document

Hello, I have a unix file about 3000lines which i want to copy from and paste it into a Word document. If i cat the file and try to scroll through it then not everything is captured so i am getting and incomplete paste. Any help is really appreciated. jak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and Paste Columns in a Tab-Limited Text file

I have this text file with a very large number of columns (10,000+) and I want to move the first column to the position of the six column so that the text file looks like this: Before cutting and pasting ID Family Mother Father Trait Phenotype aaa bbb ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy a file opened in UNIX to word or txt?

Hi I would like to know how to copy a file opened in unix editor like Nedit or vi editor to a word document Since I am newbie I want to make sure I am not really copying onto real subdirectories I tried to right click and copy the entire .sql file or any other file opened.. Nedit doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
3 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and paste text inside a xml file

I have a really big XML file. I need copy the value of one tag inside another one tag. I try to publish one example. <channel update="i" site="merge-xmltv" site_id="" xmltv_id="Rai 1">Rai 1</channel> <channel update="i" site="merge-xmltv" site_id="" xmltv_id="Rai 1 +2HD">Rai 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash copy and paste text in file from one position to another

Hi I have a text file with lines beginning with 71303, 71403, 71602, I need to copy the 10 digit text at position 30 on lines beginning with 71303 (5500011446) to position 99 on every line beginning with 71602 (see example below), There may be many 71303 lines but I need the text copying to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
2 Replies
E3(1)							      General Commands Manual							     E3(1)

NAME
E3 - A mini text editor SYNOPSIS
e3[ws|em|pi|vi|ne] [filename] DESCRIPTION
e3 is a complete mini application written fully in assembler, with a code size less than 10000 byte. There is a status & input line, where you can enter filenames, blocknames, find-texts and line numbers. The editor commands are similary the families of Wordstar-like or Emacs or Pico or vi or Nedit editors. For online help press ESC:h in vi mode, else Alt-H. This man page describes Wordstar key bindings only. KEYBOARD COMMANDS FOR WS
^A Go word left ^C Go page down ^D Go right ^E Go up ^F Go word right ^G Delete current character ^H Delete left character ^I Tabulator ^J Get online help ^KB Set block start marker ^KC Copy current block ^KD Save file and load a new one ^KK Set block end marker ^KQ Abort editing and exit. Confirm with Y or y that your changes are lost. ^KR Insert a file as a new block ^KS Save file and continue editing ^KV Move current block inside file ^KW Save a block into a file ^KX Save file and exit ^KY Delete text a block ^KZ Suspend (simple ^Z in other editor modes) ^L Repeat last ^QF or ^QA ^M Enter new line ^QA Search & Replace (a prompt appears). For options compare ^QF. ^QB Go to block begin ^QC Go to end of file ^QD Go to end of line ^QE Go to top of screen: 1st columne, 1st line ^QF Find a text string (a prompt appears). Valid options are Case sensitive and Backward. You could abort via pressing ^U . This options are equal to e3em, e3pi, e3ne, but their abort keys are ^G and ^C. ^QG Delete character under cursor ^QG Delete character left of cursor ^QH,^Q(Del) Delete up to line begin ^QI Go to line number (prompt appears) ^QK Go to block end ^QR Go to file begin ^QS Go to line begin ^QV Go to last postion of find ^QW Go to previous word ^QX Go to bottom of window (last line, end of line) ^QY Delete to line end ^QZ Go to next word ^R Go page up ^S Go left ^T Delete to next word ^U Undo the last operation. Also abort input in status line (this is used for ^QI,^QF,^KR,^KW etc.) ^V Toggle insert mode ^W Scroll up ^X Go down ^Y Delete current line ^Z Scroll down UNDO OPERATION DETAILS
e3 has an UNDO mode starting in v2.2. There is no predefined UNDO level count. You can expect to UNDO at least one last insert-, delete-, overwrite- or sed_pipe-operation, but in most cases there are lots of UNDO stages available. e3 has a fixed size undo buffer and will use an external helper file if some deleted data is bigger sized than the undo buffer. This buffer is organized as a ring, overwriting older UNDO information if neccessary. So one never can say exactly how many UNDO operations are possible. For using the UNDO press one of: ^U in Wordstar mode ^QU in Pico mode ^_ in Emacs mode u in vi command mode ^U in Nedit mode BUILT IN CALCULATOR
e3 has an arithmetic calculator built in for some simple arithmetic calculations inside your text. Place cursor at begin of the task i.e. something like: -3.002*-(2--3)= and press one of: ^KN in Wordstar mode ^QC in Pico mode ^X^N in Emacs mode # in vi command mode ^K in Nedit mode This will insert the result into text. Use the values between -999999999999.999999 ... 999999999999.999999 with up to 6 decimal digits and the operators +-*/ and parenthesis ( ). Also available are p for constant PI and r for accessing the result of last calculation RUNTIME MODE SWITCHING
You can switch to other editor mode by pressing one of: ^KM in Wordstar mode ^QM in Pico mode altX in Emacs mode <ESC>; in vi command mode ^E in Nedit mode e3 will set a prompt SET MODE . Now enter one of e3ws, e3em, e3pi, e3vi, e3ne for setting Wordstar-like or Emacs or Pico or vi or Nedit style. OPTIONS
e3 accepts a filename for text editing. Switch the editor mode depending of the binary name, one of e3ws, e3em, e3pi, e3vi, e3ne FILES
e3 is an assembled executable for Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BeOS(tm), QNX(tm). e3ws, e3em, e3pi, e3vi, e3ne are symbolic links to e3. e3.exe is an assembled executable for 32 bit Win versions like 95/98/ME/etc. e3c is a 'C' compiled executable for some other platforms, optional built, supporting WS key bindings only. e3arm is a new experimental (alpha code quality) assembled executable for ARM Linux, optional built (identical e3, but no arithmetics and no UNDO available). e3.hlp help text file (for e3c only) e3.res error message text file (for e3c only) e3-16 e3-16, e3-16.com, e3-16e.exe are special bonus files for 16 bit operating systems ELKS (==Embeddable Linux Kernel Subset) and DOS, supporting WS key bindings only. COPYRIGHT
e3 is Copyright (c) 2000,01,02,03 Albrecht Kleine This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. BUGS
There probably are some, but I don't know what they are yet. E3(1)