Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Separate lines from text file Post 302389959 by ramse8pc on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 01:10:24 PM
Old 01-26-2010
Thanks for the reply.

i tried like this but a.txt is empty
Code:

awk -F"|" '$5 ~ /^Active$/ {print $0}' FinalVHO.txt>a.txt

is there anything wrong with it?

Last edited by Scott; 01-26-2010 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to separate bilingual text file

Hi all I have a bilingual text file, one language is English and another one is Assamese. I want to write English language text into one file and Assamese language text into another file. For Example- input file is as dsad জন gdfkghdfkghkdf hksdjhfkjsdfhk hksjdhfksdjf আনজনৰ মনত ghgj jkj... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wildhorse
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting text file into 2 separate files ??

Hi All, I am new to this forumn as well to the UNIX, I have basic knowledge of UNIX which I studied some years ago, now I have to do some shell scripting to load data into Oracle database using sqlldr utility, whcih I am able to do. I have a requirement where I need to do following operation. I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekharjchandra
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file contents and separate the lines when completes with =

Hi, I have a file like this cpsSystemNotifyTrap='2010/12/14 11:05:31 CST' Manufacturer=IBM ReportingMTMS=n/a ProbNm=26 LparName=n/a FailingEnclosureMTMS=7946-IQL*99G4874 SRC=B3031107 EventText=Problem reported by customer. CallHome=true Calendar I want to have a output like this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine the lines from separate text files

Hi All, I have three separate text files which has only one line and i want to combine these lines in one text file which will have three lines. cat file1.txt abc cat file2.txt 1265 6589 1367 cat file3.txt 0.98 0.36 0.5 So, I want to see these three lines in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read one line file and separate into multiple lines

I have one long line text with semicolon used as separator between values in that line. Now, I want to separate the line into multiple line right after every 29th field. example input line: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erlanq
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read one line file and separate into multiple lines

I have one long line text with semicolon used as separator between values in that line. Now, I want to separate the line into multiple line right after every 29th field. example input line: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erlanq
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate Text File into Two Lists Using Python

Hello, I have a pretty simple question, but I am new to Python and am trying to write a simple program. Put simply, I want to take a text file that looks like this: 11111 22222 33333 44444 55555 66666 77777 88888 and produce two lists, one containing the contents of the left column, one the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tyler_92
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ls to text file on separate lines

hi, I'm trying to print out the contents of a folder into a .txt file. The code I'm trying amongst variations is: ls -1 > filenames.txt but it prints them all on the same line ie. image102.bmpimage103.bmpimage104.bmpimage105.bmpimage106.bmp how can I change this? Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie100
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to join separate lines in a single one from xml file

Hi all, I need help to parse this xml file that has paragraphs broken in different lines and I would like to join in a single line. I hope you can understand my explanation. Thanks for any help/direction. The script could be in bash, awk, ruby, perl whatever please In the output I want:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)