Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question regarding the diff command Post 302389941 by Corona688 on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 12:27:26 PM
Old 01-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazmania
How can I show whats just in the original file.
The diff command shows changes only.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff command

Hi, I have 2 files i would like to have a DIFF command: 1.Marks differences between files or 2.Mentions just the differences Thanks :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilead29
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff command

All, How to exclude a directory while diff execution? For ex: To exclude file which we don't want to see diff, we have -x <filename>. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vichu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in diff command :

i have 2 file named test1,test2 contents of test1: 1 2 3 --------------------------- contents of test2: 1 2 3 4 5 -------------------------------------------------------- my desired o/p should be: diff test2 test1 4 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

4. AIX

diff command

hello i've two files. how i get the diff between the two files to new file. thanks best regards ariec (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff command

Is there any option for the diff command (or maybe an entirely different command) that will give you only the text that differs between two files? When I use diff file1 file2, if any text on that line differs from one file to the next it'll print out the entire line. I'd like to see only the text... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff command help

Hi all diff file1 file 2 command will give us op of diff between two file. But it aslo give its position and sign "<" or ">". I dont want position and sign in op. Only diff of content should be come as op. Kindly help me for this. Regards Jaydeep (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question concerning DIFF

Hey, I am running a linux shell script containing some php. I want to be able to do a DIFF on two files...if the files are identical, set an exit status of 0, and if they are different, set an exit status of 1. I have been looking long and hard on how to do this, but I don't think that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: behrk2
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Re:using the diff command

Hi Guys I have a situation where I would like to use the diff command but I would like to see "number" of differences and than send it through and if statement and than view the difference if greater than 1. Eg. diff file1 file2 > than gives the "number" and I than say - if number >1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prega
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diff with exceptions Question

So I'm currently developing an automated test system and I'm verifying my results by running a set of baselined data through and comparing the output (which is in a txt file) to a baseline results file. So of course I'm just using the diff command. Unfortunately each time I run the test there are 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smitty0881
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

One-way diff command?

Hello, I am trying to find the different files between multiple directories in Linux, here is a small assumption of what is inside the directories dir1 dir2 dir3 1.txt 1.txt 1.txt 2.txt 3.txt 3.txt 5.txt 4.txt 5.txt 6.txt 7.txt 8.txt I am using the following... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Error404
4 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - print differences between two files SYNOPSIS
diff [-c | -e | -C n] [-br]file1 file2 OPTIONS
-C n Produce output that contains n lines of context -b Ignore white space when comparing -c Produce output that contains three lines of context -e Produce an ed-script to convert file1 into file2 -r Apply diff recursively to files and directories of EXAMPLES
diff file1 file2 # Print differences between 2 files diff -C 0 file1 file2 # Same as above diff -C 3 file1 file2 # Output three lines of context with every diff -c file1 file2 # Same diff /etc /dev # Compares recursively the directories /etc and /dev diff passwd /etc # Compares ./passwd to /etc/passwd DESCRIPTION
the same name, when file1 and file2 are both directories" difference encountered" Diff compares two files and generates a list of lines telling how the two files differ. Lines may not be longer than 128 characters. If the two arguments on the command line are both directories, diff recursively steps through all subdirectories comparing files of the same name. If a file name is found only in one directory, a diagnostic message is written to stdout. A file that is of either block special, character special or FIFO special type, cannot be compared to any other file. On the other hand, if there is one directory and one file given on the command line, diff tries to compare the file with the same name as file in the directory directory. SEE ALSO
cdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), patch(1). DIFF(1)