Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to understand the output of last command Post 302389818 by proactiveaditya on Tuesday 26th of January 2010 03:18:01 AM
Old 01-26-2010
Need to understand the output of last command

Code:
root@desktop:~# last reboot | head -1
reboot   system boot  2.6.31-17-generi Tue Jan 26 12:05 - 13:52  (01:46)

What does the last two fields(12:05 - 13:52 (01:46)) of the output mean?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Understand output of "free" command

Hi Friends, I am really confused with the output of "free" command on redhat linux. I can see caching and buffer output on two different areas on the output. Please let me know whats the difference of these two different outputs. Here I am pasting the command output of my server. # free... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't understand sed error output.

Hey forum, I have a problem with a script what used to work, but suddenly is not working anymore. I have been trying different things for an hour now and I give up :D . #!/bin/sh asukoht=`pwd` template=$1 for values in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario8eren
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand ps output.

I m executing ps command and sorting it according to memory usage. Please find the output of the command. # ps aux --sort pmem USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 1 0.0 0.0 2060 624 ? Ss 01:54 0:00 init root 2 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand the output of w command

I have taken putty session of a server from two separate machines namely HOST1(3 sessions) and HOST2(1 Session) . However w command says there are 5 users Confused over the output any clue will be appreciated. # w 09:29:36 up 34 days, 15:48, 5 users, load average: 0.62, 4.33, 8.16 USER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand this output

I am hitting this command: dvlna021-(/cm/ims/dev/gds-scheduler/10/app/Software/active/Soft/conf)->ls -lrt gds_userenv_* This is the output lrwxrwxrwx 1 aimse was 65 Jul 31 12:56 gds_userenv_scheduler_2.ksh -> /cm/ims/dev/gds-scheduler/10/app/conf/gds_userenv_scheduler_2.ksh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do not understand grep output

In my directory I have two files and one subdirectory. When I run ls -l |grep -v ^d I get the following output: total 8 -rwxrwxrwx 1 qms qms 254 Oct 3 16:00 file1.txt -rwxrwxrwx 1 qms qms 7167 Oct 11 15:46 file2.txt Can you explain what is total 8 if the number of files is 2 and is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdogadin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to understand the output of TRUSS command

Hi, I am trying to set ulimit for soft stack unlimited, but this is not taking effect, after tracing the ulimit -a unlimited command, the below output was generated, which i am unable to comprehend. Could any one help me with this? prcbap1-r10prod: truss -d ulimit -s unlimited Tue Dec 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NasirAbbasi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't understand script output

New to korn shel1 and having an issue. The following is suppose to read the parameter values from files in a source directory and then pass them on to a log file in a different directory, The ArchiveTracker scripts is suppose to call the parameterreader script to exact the parameter values and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bayouprophet
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand the command

Hi Gurus, I am new for Unix scripting. below command in one existing script. I am not able to fully understand. please help in below command, I am not able to understand what's {P=1} do thanks in advance awk 'NF==1{$3=$1;$1=L}P&&NF>=3{print $1,$3;L=$1}/^___/{P=1}' FILE (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help understand awk command

Help understand awk command This command converts the column values to rows. Command: awk -s1=" " '{S=S?S OFS s1 $0 s1:s1 $0 s1} END{print S}' OFS=, Input_file Example: 1 2 3 is converted to: 1, 2, 3 Can anyone please help me understand this command? Please use code tags when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan44
1 Replies
reboot(1M)																reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - restart the operating system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] The reboot utility restarts the kernel. The kernel is loaded into memory by the PROM monitor, which transfers control to the loaded kernel. Although reboot can be run by the super-user at any time, shutdown(1M) is normally used first to warn all users logged in of the impending loss of service. See shutdown(1M) for details. The reboot utility performs a sync(1M) operation on the disks, and then a multi-user reboot is initiated. See init(1M) for details. On systems, reboot may also update the boot archive as needed to ensure a successful reboot. The reboot utility normally logs the reboot to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. Normally, the system reboots itself at power-up or after crashes. The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M) about who executed reboot. -n Avoid calling sync(2) and do not log the reboot to syslogd(1M) or to /var/adm/wtmpx. The kernel still attempts to sync filesystems prior to reboot, except if the -d option is also present. If -d is used with -n, the kernel does not attempt to sync filesystems. -q Quick. Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. The following operands are supported: boot_arguments An optional boot_arguments specifies arguments to the uadmin(2) function that are passed to the boot program and kernel upon restart. The form and list of arguments is described in the boot(1M) and kernel(1M) man pages.. If the arguments are specified, whitespace between them is replaced by single spaces unless the whitespace is quoted for the shell. If the boot_arguments begin with a hyphen, they must be preceded by the -- delimiter (two hyphens) to denote the end of the reboot argument list. Example 1: Passing the -r and -v Arguments to boot In the following example, the delimiter -- (two hyphens) must be used to separate the options of reboot from the arguments of boot(1M). example# reboot -dl -- -rv Example 2: Rebooting Using a Specific Disk and Kernel The following example reboots using a specific disk and kernel. example# reboot disk1 kernel.test/unix /var/adm/wtmpx login accounting file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ mdb(1), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), fsck(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), uadmin(2), reboot(3C), attributes(5) The reboot utility does not execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. 11 Apr 2005 reboot(1M)